Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Elk Jerky  (Read 1600 times)

Winz

• WKC Ranger
Elk Jerky
« on: December 24, 2014, 03:17:19 AM »
I recently built an automatic temperature controller for Wapiti, One of my goals with the ATC project was to be able to smoke at lower temperatures for cold smoking and for making jerky.  I had the opportunity to do my first cook with the ATC unit yesterday.

Filled the firebox with chunks of cherry wood:

Elk meat ground up with a small amount of beef fat, marinated, and formed into strips using a jerky gun:

Jerky loaded into Wapiti.  I used both the upper and lower racks:

I set the ATC for a target temp of 160.  I used quite a few chunks of cherry wood to get lots of smoke:

My sous chef during the 4.5 hour cook:

Gratuitous shot of Wapiti doing its thing.  The ATC did an amazing job of keeping the temp right at 160 though out the whole cook:

Rotating racks right near the end of the cook:

The payoff:

The jerky trial run was a success.  I monitored temperatures at both the upper and lower grates. Initially, the top grate ran about 10 degrees warmer then the bottom grate, but toward the end of the cook the opposite was true. 
I am going to purchase a couple more 18.5 grates and rig up a stacking method (likely using bolts as others have done).  I can easily fit a total of five to six racks into Wapiti to greatly increase the capacity of each smoking session.  The jerky turned out even better than I had hope and I think this stuff will go quickly!

You can read about the ATC project here:  http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/automatic-temp-controller/

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
Re: Elk Jerky
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 03:40:21 AM »
That sounds delicious. The chair that your sous chef is guarding looks quite comfortable as well.
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 05:05:23 AM »
Just started doing jerky on the kettle myself , great post !
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 07:16:50 AM »
Smoking jerky is rewarding . The smoke ring on those thin pieces of meat is a wonderful thing to behold and taste. Never tried Elk before but it looks like you nailed it Winz. Have a good Xmas guy.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 07:21:24 AM »
That looks like it was fun.  Bet it tasted great!
Kettle collector AND cooker!

AcrossFromHoss

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 04:48:43 PM »
beauty looking jerky
"Seeing pictures of a nice steak without viewing the middle is like seeing a nice pair of tits in a bra. You tease!!!!"
 22.5 black OTG kettle, 18.5 WSM, Jumbo Joe

SixZeroFour

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2014, 05:04:30 AM »
That looks really good Winz, great job as usual!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

eccj

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 01:03:41 AM »
Brotha very nice job with the jerky! Where did you find the pot that you converted into your smoker attachment? What size is it? I'd love to find something like that to modify to my liking!  Thanks

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 09:00:18 AM »
Brotha very nice job with the jerky! Where did you find the pot that you converted into your smoker attachment? What size is it? I'd love to find something like that to modify to my liking!  Thanks

eccj - you can read all about the smoker here: 

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/project-wapiti/

It is basically the same size as a 18.5 WSM.  I really enjoyed doing the project and it works great.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.