Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Conversion to Smoker  (Read 9352 times)

ChargersSB

• Happy Cooker
Conversion to Smoker
« on: November 10, 2014, 09:26:21 AM »
Hi everyone,

For years I have used a cheap Sears knockoff of the WSM (link below). It has worked pretty good for me over the years, but it is finally starting to fall apart. Unfortunately I don't have the funds to purchase a WSM (although I would love one). I have a weber kettle (just the standard one) and have seen some conversion kits that are stackers making it more like a WSM. Cajun bandit and Smoke EZ are two that I have seen.

Does anyone have any experience with these? Are they worth it? Instead of buying a new smoker I was thinking of using one of these and then I could still use my kettle as normal. Any opinions on which setup is better? Also, it looks like you can really only use the top grate as the bottom one appears to be too close to the coals. What do you do if you need to do a bigger turkey? If I could only use the top grate, wouldn't the lid hit? (Instead of being able to use the 2nd grate like in the WSM)

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/allmodrev...=seeAllReviews

http://www.smoke-ez.com/
http://cajunbandit.com/

Thanks

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Conversion to Smoker
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 09:48:24 AM »
I think @Troy has a Cajun Bandit & others have the other style.....

If you need to do a bigger turkey, just set it down in.....I've done up to 24# like this.....

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 09:59:38 AM »
I think @Troy has a Cajun Bandit & others have the other style.....

If you need to do a bigger turkey, just set it down in.....I've done up to 24# like this.....

This is off topic for the post, but 1buckie, can you elaborate on this set up a bit? Ive seen your turkey posts and i want to try a bird for thanks giving.

How much charcoal? How much do you start with? All Lit or some lit some unlit?  Do you reload during cook?

Is coal under the roasting pan or is pan right on the charcoal grate with charcoal around it?

Kettle Temperature?

Cook Time?

Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 10:06:59 AM »
Another route to take is a mini wsm conversion.  For less than the price of a cajun bandit, you can have a dedicated smoker with a grill configuration that you desire.  Although it will not likely do a full size Turkey, and is not the best option for ribs, it will easily do full size chickens, 2 pork butts, etc.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 10:13:12 AM »
Here's that cookup, charlie.....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/favorites-part-two-turkey/msg81474/#msg81474

Old steel pan I've had for 25~30 years.....works grate, right on the grate....

This, as all BBQ cookups, is "Play the ball where it lies"......couldn't tell you exact numbers.....around 3 hours, around 275~300+ at points & more coals were added about 3/4 of the way thru the cook......

I tend to add either toward the neck end or as you can see in that pic, toward the leg end, alternating a few each side at a time to kinda keep the temp even.......

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 03:35:41 PM »
Thanks 1buckie, I always learn a ton from your posts.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 03:50:04 PM »
I don't have the answers to your direct questions. But just wanted to suggest that since cost is a factor, you can smoke on your kettle using a snake and not have to buy anything.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 04:46:03 PM by mrbill »
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 04:33:14 PM »
Chargers, sorry for hijacking the post, but like you I'm learning to do Q on a budget. I had a couple of ECB's then made a mini wsm and now I've been using a kettle. Honestly I like the kettle the best as it can literally cook anything!

Truthfully though, I wish I would have started listening to the 1buckie's of the world sooner and learned to light the fire and leave it. I spent much too much time fighting temperature fluctuations and buying building and modifying cookers to attain "perfect" temp control only to realize that perfect temp is a myth and this bbq not rocket science.

I might be little more of stickler since a thanksgiving turkey is an important meal but lately im trying to "let the cooker cook" and since then my chicken, ribs, and butts have been much more enjoyable.

I think with the kettle you have,  you can pull of what you are shooting for.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 05:45:33 PM »
Charlie, there is some time info & such in that link......

As to the O P......that Smoke-eze rig might be kinda nice as you can hang things.....a lot like the PBC (Pit Barrel Cookers) that are all the rage currently.......seethis.....about 1/2 way thru the video shows how the stuff fits together to hang....

http://pitbarrelcooker.com/watch

For added rack space, either that or the Cajun Bandit are a good choice.....they look to be approximately the same price if you get the same general configuration.......

The preliminary question you may want to ask is "How Much?" 

how much of a load of food would you need to do at any one time....there's really easy, inexpensive fixes to way increase what you can do just with one kettle.....here's JoCool's upper rack to add cooking area

You can load a lot extra on things like this.....I often use the "MacGyver Upper Deck Smoking Rack" (w/ flip-up feature) to add area..................

Here is how it fits together & in full load activity.....

This kind of additional space fixup is cheap, even free if you have a few spare parts laying around.....

.....or, just get more Webers.....

ChargersSB

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 08:23:35 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replies.  I have never tried smoking anything on my kettle.  I could give that a shot using the snake method sometime.  My current WSM knockoff still works, but it is definitely falling apart.  I love the setup of the WSM type bullet smokers.  I have used an offset and didn't like it at all.  I keep checking craigslist in my area but all I see are cheap offsets or santa maria type grills.  I guess the prices for the cajun bandit and smoke ez are kind of up there and for a bit more I could get an 18 in. wsm. 

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 08:57:32 PM »
Here's a guide on how to smoke on a weber - http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2013/11/05/smoking-on-a-weber-kettle/

I own both the cajun bandit conversion and the cajun bandit stacker.
I opted for the conversion instead of the smoke-ez because, well, the smoke-ez is fugly with that big logo. Plus the conversion has a door.
From what I hear, Cajun Bandit isn't selling the conversion kit anymore - but you should still inquire and let them know you're interested.

I love the cajun bandit stacker too. I strongly prefer it over an 18" WSM, as I can lay full slabs of ribs flat on it. I've done 9 full racks of ribs on the cajun bandit stacker - all lying flat.
I wish they'd make one for the 26"

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 05:33:23 AM »
Thanks everyone for the replies.  I have never tried smoking anything on my kettle.  I could give that a shot using the snake method sometime.  My current WSM knockoff still works, but it is definitely falling apart.  I love the setup of the WSM type bullet smokers.  I have used an offset and didn't like it at all.  I keep checking craigslist in my area but all I see are cheap offsets or santa maria type grills.  I guess the prices for the cajun bandit and smoke ez are kind of up there and for a bit more I could get an 18 in. wsm.

I've got the Cajun Bandit Conversion kit and Stackers for the 22", and will say that they are definitely worth the investment, but if you are on a budget, consider building a drum smoker. I build no weld UDS's using repurposed Weber and knockoff parts. I cook direct with them - hot n fast, but you can add a waterpan or heat diverter and produce WSM quality results and enjoy the satisfaction of cooking on something you produced. Take a look at my Left Hand Smoke FB https://www.facebook.com/pages/Left-Hand-Smoke/116187658462391?ref=hl Albums, this weekend I threw together a Mini Drum using Smokey Joe parts, and there is a BPS Drum build there as well.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 07:40:34 AM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

ChargersSB

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 08:37:49 AM »
What about the smokenator?  Does anyone have experience with that?  How well does that work?  I mainly do ribs and chickens, but also do butts, turkeys etc. sometimes.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 10:34:45 AM »
I believe that the Smokenator  is mentioned in the Kettle Smoking Tips section of the homepage. It works. It doesn't do anything that you can't do yourself with a couple of bricks and some aluminum foil.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

ChargersSB

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 12:21:47 PM »
Here's a guide on how to smoke on a weber - http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2013/11/05/smoking-on-a-weber-kettle/

I own both the cajun bandit conversion and the cajun bandit stacker.
I opted for the conversion instead of the smoke-ez because, well, the smoke-ez is fugly with that big logo. Plus the conversion has a door.
From what I hear, Cajun Bandit isn't selling the conversion kit anymore - but you should still inquire and let them know you're interested.

I love the cajun bandit stacker too. I strongly prefer it over an 18" WSM, as I can lay full slabs of ribs flat on it. I've done 9 full racks of ribs on the cajun bandit stacker - all lying flat.
I wish they'd make one for the 26"

For the amount I normally smoke, the cajun bandit stacker might be enough.  How easy is it to hold steady temps, how long do you get before having to reload charcoal?  Seems like it would be a pain to have to take the entire stacker off to reload.  Also, can you put something on the lower rack if need be (original kettle grill rack) or is that too close to the coals?