Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Conversion to Smoker  (Read 9377 times)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Conversion to Smoker
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 01:06:01 PM »
" Also, can you put something on the lower rack if need be (original kettle grill rack) or is that too close to the coals?"

Probably not too close, but it will depend on how you set your coals.......if all over the charcoal grate, sort of like a WSM or the like, then it might be too much.....if a snake or some type of Minion setup off to one or both sides, then I think you could easily use the lower (regular) cooking grate.....
Look back at the various methods in the link Troy put up.....

Also, if some kind of diffuser were used, to then block direct heat from the food, it would work OK.............
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 01:08:09 PM by 1buckie »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2014, 02:02:00 PM »
I had a diffuser made from 3/16 steel that I use in the Stacker. I take the pizza pan that comes with the kit and cover it with foil for easy cleanup.

Use a ring of expando with briqs inside for short cooks, outside the ring for a snake feed.

For added grate space, a Big Green Egg raised grate

Or inexpensive bakers cooling racks

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

ChargersSB

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 11:07:26 AM »
" Also, can you put something on the lower rack if need be (original kettle grill rack) or is that too close to the coals?"

Probably not too close, but it will depend on how you set your coals.......if all over the charcoal grate, sort of like a WSM or the like, then it might be too much.....if a snake or some type of Minion setup off to one or both sides, then I think you could easily use the lower (regular) cooking grate.....
Look back at the various methods in the link Troy put up.....

Also, if some kind of diffuser were used, to then block direct heat from the food, it would work OK.............

Thanks.  I don't really foresee me ever needing that much more capacity too often using the lower grate.  You never know though.  I am sure I could make it work if I had to. 

ChargersSB

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 11:12:12 AM »
Looks like there are a lot of ways to add more space if needed.  I contacted Chris and with shipping etc. (added charcoal ring, heat diffuser) it would be around $195 or so. That is getting up there.  Another $100 or so and it would be the cost of a new WSM 18.5".  So the Cajun Bandit is still more affordable for the larger size (it would be nice to be able to lay ribs flat across).  For those of you who have the stacker, overall how satisfied are you with it?  I have been reading it can be hard to control the temp to 225-250 due to the kettles vent design at the bottom not being very airtight.  How long of a cook can you get before having to load up more charcoal?

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2014, 11:40:15 AM »
You can cold smoke with a kettle.....they will do almost anything.....
In  just letting it run where it wants, within reason, and not trying to force 225 or something, you'll find they work great !!!

The vents can get bent & not work as good, but it's an easy fix to bend them back enough to sit tight.....I have numerous kettles that will shut down tight & begin to cool in minutes.....saves quite a bit on charcoal, if re-used................

not sure if you're asking about "How long of a cook?" using the Stacker, or just for kettles in general, but a set like this gets 11~12 hours @240~260 managed gently:

ChargersSB

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2014, 12:24:41 PM »
Yeah, it was how long if using the stacker.  I would imagine I can do the snake method using the stacker too and get a long cook like you said. 

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2014, 12:40:06 PM »
I've gotten 20 hours of 225 out of the stacker. (full minion, no snake)

it fits a kettle with the same precision that the lid fits. it's an EXTREMELY well made product.
If anyone can't hold 225-250 with the stacker, it means that they cannot hold 225-250 with their kettle.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2014, 01:12:38 PM »
... How easy is it to hold steady temps, how long do you get before having to reload charcoal?  Seems like it would be a pain to have to take the entire stacker off to reload.  Also, can you put something on the lower rack if need be (original kettle grill rack) or is that too close to the coals?

Troy will have more experienced answers but lemme "butt" in for a sec.

How easy is it to hold steady temps
In my experience, anything with charcoal benefits from an initial setup and "stabilizing" period and then it's steady. Patience, small changes, wait for effect to take hold etc. This could very well mean to not put food on right when coals are hot or get dumped from the chimney etc.

how long do you get before having to reload charcoal?
Heat reduction is influenced by ambient temperature, wind, amount and type of food, length of time and type of charcoal etc.

Seems like it would be a pain to have to take the entire stacker off to reload
If there's no door, I concur. That said, a 22.5" kettle that doesn't have to worry about an indirect cook can hold a LOT of charcoal and that means one of two things: either you're scorching it, or smoking it ... in which case closing down vents closes down heat and therefore, fuel consumption. Also, consider that removing the stacker to dump in a chimney of lit coals would be faster than feeding them in through a door under a water pan or lower grate AND over the course of a cook, having the stacker removed doesn't lose as much heat as you may think; the machine recovers from heat loss quickly.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2014, 01:15:58 PM »
Holy crap I just responded after half a dozen others somehow. Sorry!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2014, 02:11:25 PM »
I give up.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2014, 03:35:15 PM »
I give up.

No wait.......there's more !!!!

ChargersSB

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2014, 08:24:46 PM »
Ha ha, sorry for all the questions.  I think this is the route I am going to go, getting the Cajun Bandit Stacker.  Now just to save up a bit!  Thanks for all the advice and answers.  Hopefully I can purchase it soon!!