Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettle temp  (Read 15266 times)

namtrag

• WKC Brave
Re: Kettle temp
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2014, 05:56:48 PM »
To follow up on that, I didn't use the baskets on one of my cooks this weekend and just banked the coals , and when I added unlit coals, they caught fine.  Wonder why Buckie and I have trouble when we add unlit coals to the baskets?   I definitely keep the vents wide open when I do it.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2014, 06:30:24 PM »
Can't say. Probably depends on how many you add and whether or not they visibly cover the bottom and choke them?

When adding, I like to use lump because it catches a little faster and burns hotter, two things that help when trying to boost heat during a cook. I did that tonight and about 10-15 minutes later saw temps rise about 10-50 degrees. With briquets you'd probably have to wait longer for that to happen. Also depends on how hot the bottom coals are to "light" the top ones!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2014, 06:46:54 PM »
All true...I have seen in my short time using charcoal that some of the coals which appear to be lit still are just briquette-shaped ash!  You put an unlit coal on them and nothing happens!  Duh!

I haven't tried lump yet, but plan on it soon. 

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2015, 01:07:35 PM »
Hate to bring up a old thread but I have some observations to add

the first is about having spare charcoal ready to throw on, I do a bit of dutch oven cooking and when you learn to do that you need to have a few things, either a supply of burning charcoal to add when needed or a propane burner to light coal. No not one of those huge weed burners from Harbor Freight, but a small hand held system you can light a few coals fast with, like a plumber uses, except using propane and not map gas. (map gas not recommended around food) A couple minutes with the torch and lighting charcoal is fast.

Second, try experimenting with foil on the bottom grate, not under the coals but where the coals are not, that way the air coming in is forced to go up through the coals, not the area you have the indirect grilling going on. PS you will be amazed at the smoke roll you will get this way. (I got this idea because when you see the big tin water holder placed in the bottom, it basicall blocks air from coming up that way, so I experimented and decided lining the floor of the unit except under coals can do some positive stuff,)

another point is to use the one touch to clear the underside of the coal grate, as charcoal burns it drops ash and that can get in the way of air getting to the bottom of the coals.

Hope all of this helps
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 01:22:10 PM by Jammamto »
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2015, 01:47:22 PM »
Thanks, man !!!

I've tried the foil liner a few times recently & that seemed to work pretty good.......perhaps keeping the temp a bit more even than just having free-flowing air go thru.............

I'll clear the ash some during a cook, but that's a careful operation.....too quick of a move & there's a cloud of ash floating up into the food.....

an interesting situation is using a three-wheeler on a long cookup......the ash will fall, but I've found usually it will fall thru the vents just enough to let the airflow be OK......

Don't know if you can see this, but the vents are still open on the second time around with the charcoal chain.....

Thanks for adding in observations.....everyone's input adds fuel to the fire !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2015, 02:09:23 PM »
1buckle
I think you are doing so much to learn the system and what works for you, I think the works for you is a key item as even though it looks the same everyone is doing it different

A bit of a story: moved from Louisiana to California around 30 years ago and left my Weber back there, Got here and did not have the money for a full size kettle, so I got a Smokey Joe and started using that. Those little buggers can cook just as well as a full size kettle if you just apply yourself. Counting coals, using good coals you can get a dependable result from, trying methods of venting and shielding.
When I got my next full size kettle I had new ideas about temp control. It goes way past opening this and closing that.

So I learned a Silver 22 style kettle, Now I have gotten a 22 Masters Touch and I have a bunch of new toys to play with, such as the baskets. seem to be a better idea than a few fire bricks.

Foil has been a big friend of mine as well as being able to introduce lit coal fast when I flub up. besides that it seems that each time I try a new technique I have to figure out the best methods for that technique.
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2015, 02:26:19 PM »
I think the works for you is a key item as even though it looks the same everyone is doing it different

Besides that it seems that each time I try a new technique I have to figure out the best methods for that technique.

Great story !!!

And the two things above are very true......each person has to adapt to weather conditions, how much wind is coming thru the cooking area, how much insulation crud is built up inside the cooker, lid fit & all that localized stuff.....

Testing out ways of going about things will have a different comfort level for each different person also....

good observations there, man !!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"