Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Mangal Grill  (Read 8022 times)

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
Re: Mangal Grill
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 03:07:01 PM »
ClubChapin,
The Kabobs look great!!
I think you did very well for first attempt with this set.
If I may share few points with you…
I’m from Mediterranean descent and I’ve watched my Dad cook Kabobs all my life and he watches his and so on… I don’t claim to be the authority on kabobs, but I had my share of them :)
1.  A Mangal is a grateless lidless grill. We never use a lid with Kabobs and never will unless using pork butt-more on that later.
Like this one

2. Veggies are always cooked separately except peppers and onions with Red Meat. The purpose of peppers and onions between pieces of red meat is to flavor and moisten the meat. We do not care if they burn or fall of; they served their purpose during cooking. It’s the same as when using veggies to make a stock, they denigrate after hours of cooking, but you don’t care because they gave up their entire flavor.
3. High direct Heat, frequent turning make the best Kabobs, the closer to the coals the better.
4. Always use metal skewers not bamboo. Bamboo is good for Asian style cooking, but not Kabobs. The wide metal skewers are essential for cooking the center of the meat at the same rate as the outside- you already have those :)

Finally as another option to try in the future, cut pork butt into cubes and put peppers and onions slices in between as I mentioned above and cook them with lid closed until well done and tender. You will not be disappointed. This is my favorite cut after Lamb.

For authentic seasoning, try Mediterranean 7-spice mix.
http://www.sadaf.com/Sadaf-Seven-Spice-Baharat-11-1003/

I add granulated onion powder, powdered oregano and thyme, citric acid, lemon pepper, and black and white pepper to that mix and it turns shoe lather into tasty piece of meat :)

Happy Kabobing- if there is such a word :)