Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettle temp  (Read 15256 times)

wyd

• WKC Ranger
Re: Kettle temp
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2014, 07:17:30 AM »
I need to get another thermometer so I can take the temps at grill level as well.  Lowe's here I come!

Two fall baskets of Kingsford Blue gets me at 500 +/- at the dome.  Hotter yet with Royal Oak Lump packed in the baskets nicely...I've also had similar results with Stubbs briquettes.
I use about a 3/4 full Weber Chimney with Kindsford Blue and once the charcoal is orange I full each basket up level.  I have bottom vent and top vent open all the way and then put my lid on.  Wait a few minutes and I'm at least 400 or more.  Normally I don't ever cook at over 400 so not a problem.  I then close the bottom vent 1/2 way (I also have mine marked with a black Sharpie so I know where each position is) and close my top vent from 1/2 to 3/4 closed and that will get me down to around 300 degrees over a few minutes.

When I first started it took me a little bit to figure out how to get the temps to where I wanted them but now 1 1/2 years later I have my kettle pretty much figured out.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2014, 07:56:27 AM »
wyd,

I am going to tinker around and figure mine out this weekend.  Including marking the vent openings on the bottom, and making sure I have accurate thermometers! 

Thanks everyone!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2014, 07:59:23 AM »
These are some great observations & experience from everybody !!!~

Like Todd, I've gotten pretty high temps sometimes......most times, like Wyd, I'm just not cooking that high of temp......
I've only been using baskets for still a fairly short time......began getting them along with some of the recent kettle pickups since joining here......they have been baffling at times !!!

One thing I've made a mistake doing is to load UN-lit charcoal in the bottom of the basket......natural, logical idea (I thought) from doing so many other kinds of setup moving from lit to unlit......I think that's the worst time I have with the baskets, doing that......seems like it should just lite the ones on the bottom fine & continue to extend the burn.....but, it's more likely to go dead or some coals will dud out (<<Technical Term)

Anybody try that....or run across a similar problem?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2014, 08:02:19 AM »
That's kind of what happened to me the other day when I closed my vents too much.  I added about 5-6 unlit coals to the top of each basket, and it made it even worse.  That's when I decided to just pull everything and start over!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2014, 08:08:13 AM »
@namtrag .....
"For this post, 1 member gave a thank you!"

Good !!!
At least I know I'm not crazy.......wait, did I just say that?

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2014, 08:14:10 AM »
Yeah, I thought it would act like a snake does...where the lit coals would light the ones I just added, but instead, it snuffed them all out.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2014, 10:15:47 AM »
I agree that adding unlit charcoal to the top of dying coals is a wasted effort. So if you don't have a chimney available, to heat them on the side (yes, a spare grill is excellent for this ...) you'll be sunk.

One thing I've made a mistake doing is to load UN-lit charcoal in the bottom of the basket......seems like it should just lite the ones on the bottom fine & continue to extend the burn.....but, it's more likely to go dead or some coals will dud out ...

I've done it that way but it does take longer and they don't get as hot as they should. If a chimney isn't available, I find that a good old fashioned pyramid arrangement gets them going better than if I had them in baskets, gas-assist or not. I realize for the Performer Weber recommends lighting them in baskets for easy movement later.

namtrag: I've seen the same type of lid thermometer (on different grills) display very different behavior. The one on my dad's '06 moves the dial as easily as a Tru-Temp's and will respond off the end of the scale, some 700 degrees. Maybe they were all that way when new-ish, but on my '92 the needle moves very deliberately and seems to max out at "350" no matter what.

So yeah a grate thermometer is a good idea but know that the lid thermos are not only less accurate but can be totally worthless. (Actually any bimetal spring type can be.)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2014, 06:15:16 AM »
I tested my lid thermometer, and it registered 195ish in boiling water.  We live at sea level.  Not sure what the take away is, but we are heading out this morning and I will grab a thermometer for the grill surface.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2014, 06:57:44 AM »
I add UN-lit charcoal to dying coals all the time. I am using homemade charcoal baskets.

However, when I do add, I open the intakes wide for about 15-20 minutes, then adjust after that.  No problemo.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2014, 07:40:42 AM »
I tested my lid thermometer, and it registered 195ish in boiling water.  We live at sea level.  Not sure what the take away is, but we are heading out this morning and I will grab a thermometer for the grill surface.

That's right on the mark.......if you live @ 10,000 feet !!!!

S. B. 212f

When you test, just make sure it's not touching anything but water at a gentle boil.......

Thanks, Mac......those homemade baskets seem like they would be much better airflow than the stamped flat metal ones......

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2014, 10:02:39 AM »
Got a surface thermometer...after adjusting for the 20 degrees that my kettle thermometer is off by, they are currently reading identical temps.  I have a 2 1/4 lb brisket going on the indirect side, and have 3/4 of a chimney of coal going on the direct side, and it's setting right at 325 on both thermometers.  I have the bottom vents closed slightly.  I know my temp is slightly high but I am afraid to mess with it since it's holding so nicely after 1 hr!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2014, 10:16:06 AM »
Did you mechanically actually adjust, or are you meaning "mentally adjust for"?

Theoretically, the temperature should be somewhat higher at the dome than a grate reading as the heated air is rising........best estimates I've generally heard from people here are between 25 & 45 degrees different....AND, that they will move closer to being the same as the cook goes on.....

........in other words, the overall kettle temp will generally equalize over time......guessing this is from the whole metal surface heating & maybe other airflow factors........getting scientific to he point my head hurts now........  :o :o :o

Glad it's staying stable for you !!!!

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2014, 10:35:27 AM »
Mentally adjusted, and this was after the kettle was going for about 45 minutes. 

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2014, 06:03:08 AM »

It's because it's a bi-metal thermometer.  Even the best ones are not incredible accurate, and can be off up to like 50 degrees in either direction.  If you want really accurate temps get yourself a good digital thermometer. 

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2014, 07:07:40 AM »
I add UN-lit charcoal to dying coals all the time. I am using homemade charcoal baskets.

However, when I do add, I open the intakes wide for about 15-20 minutes, then adjust after that.  No problemo.
I do the same thing MacEggs does if adding unlit coals.  Open the vents wide til they get lit and then back down as needed to keep the temp where i want it. 
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)