Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 3-2-1 on the Ranch  (Read 3488 times)

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
3-2-1 on the Ranch
« on: May 26, 2014, 08:02:54 PM »
More can be done on a 22 WSM. My son came back from Williston(The new Wild West) for the weekend and wanted some ribs. He invited guests and wanted to see the beast in action. He dropped off 10 racks for me Friday night, for the cook Saturday.
Houston we have a problem...

Well, after pulling all the membranes and rubbing down I had some thinking to do. I had consulted some WKC ranch owners prior, as I thought 10 would fit flat. My test showed me differently.

The tools of choice for the cook.

The C&B was my table and charcoal lighter, the 26 for 20 bakers and the Ranch for ten racks of Babies(40+ pounds).
Set up for the Ranch. Old style charcoal baskets, charcoal holders, fire bricks and a warming rack.The warming rack was used as a heat deflector. The 26 I used double racks. Second rack was supported by fire bricks. Sorry, no pics with the tater mount.

Modified minion(Started with a small chimney full) Held tight for five hours lid temp at 325(no gadgets) One vent below the minion was 3/4 open and others shut. Top vent was 3/4 open. Made a small add of lit at the last hour.

Tater set up.(sorry thought I had taken a full load pic, didn't. 8 were low and 12 on top.

Ribs on.

2 hours.(Did not get the 3 hour pull shot)

Foiled.

Ready to be pulled for eating.

Served. I could't cut them up fast enough. It was an exhausting day, but worth it.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: 3-2-1 on the Ranch
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 08:09:19 PM »
Rockin' Cookup !!!

Excellent use of the various Weber makes & models !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 08:19:04 PM »
G'Man you totally owned the day, the ranch looks awesome with that much pig cooking on it, did you use any wood on it?
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 08:26:55 PM »
I like it!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 08:28:20 PM »
G'Man you totally owned the day, the ranch looks awesome with that much pig cooking on it, did you use any wood on it?

Used Hickory and KB. Wrapped naked and served naked. There was plenty if flavor.

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 09:02:03 PM »
Great cook. Thank you for the ideas.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 03:54:22 AM »
Nicely done, Greg! That Ranch is definitely a beast.  :D
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 04:42:27 AM »
Impressive cook.
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 07:33:31 AM »
Love to do a cook on a Ranch I would.  Just wondering - How easy is it to maintain consistent temperatures?  With such a huge chamber does lifting the lid cause a lag in temps coming back to where you want them?  My 22.5 Kettles are easy to maintain.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 07:44:51 AM »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 08:04:32 AM »
Love to do a cook on a Ranch I would.  Just wondering - How easy is it to maintain consistent temperatures?  With such a huge chamber does lifting the lid cause a lag in temps coming back to where you want them?  My 22.5 Kettles are easy to maintain.

It actually locked in at 325-350 lid temp pretty easy. It did not lag hardly at all. It actually increased in temp being exposed the more air.
Vent under minion was 3/4 open, other two vents closed. Top lid was open to 3/4 to full, most if the cook.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 06:10:47 PM »
Wow - awesome kettles and awesome cook!  Great job.  Thats a lot of real estate to monitor at one time.

Winz

In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 04:35:31 AM »
Wow - awesome kettles and awesome cook!  Great job.  Thats a lot of real estate to monitor at one time.

Winz

Winz, it was actually easier than I thought it would be. The set ups actually had the most thought process. It was out
of the box for me, but ended well. I was able to consult a few other WKC Ranch owners, ;) without some of their trial and error,
things may not have ended up so well.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2014, 05:30:42 PM »
Great cook Greg, love the multiple use of kettles.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.