Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hamburgers  (Read 3117 times)

Joetee

• WKC Brave
Hamburgers
« on: May 11, 2017, 05:26:38 AM »
I don't want a 1 pound hamburger nor did I want it to be 1 inch think.
I use ground chuck and include a dimple.
What I get is something to thick and not big enough to cover the bun. I would like it to just go beyond the bun about 1/2 inch thick or slightly thicker. I've been using about 6 or 7 oz of meat.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
Re: Hamburgers
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 05:47:23 AM »
Honestly, and I'm not joking here, I've been using slider buns for that very reason. Most full size buns are too big IMHO. I like the meat-to-bread ratio of a slider bun with a normal size (1/4lb) burger. (When I choose to have bread that is.) Guaranteed to have meat in every bite. Besides, then you can have two if you're still hungry and not feel the bread-bloat.
Retired

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 05:53:34 AM »
I usually get 4 burgers out of a pound of meat.  after I add all the ingredients and mix lightly I divide the meat in quarters.
Then I take each ball and smash it onto the griddle.  If I'm using the grill, I pat by hand.  Haven't had the problem your having.
Maybe you overworked the meat?  Maybe try adding more fat to the mix too.  80/20 is good for burgers.
I assume your only flipping once too and not pressing the juice out with the spatula.
Make more! Keep practicing and take pics!!!  Then enter the burger challenge!
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 05:56:41 AM »
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 06:39:48 AM »

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 06:44:11 AM »
Like @ericd said, it sounds like you are over working the patties. When you take the meat out of the package break it up on a cutting board and spread it out over the cutting board surface. Break up all the clumps of meat. Then you can divide into whatever size you want and "loosely" pack your burger. If you squish the hell out of it, it will rise even if you put a dimple in the patty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 07:25:22 AM »
Funny. Something as simple as a hamburger is still one of the more challenging things I cook and have come out perfect. I probably only nail it half the time. Drives me crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 07:26:19 AM »
My best work is still using sams club frozen angus patties lol. Always great.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 07:32:08 AM »
I take the all the ground meat and place it into a mixing bowl with the spices and mix it all by hand. I then make balls and flatten them by hand as thin as I can without it falling apart. They still aren't as big round as I like them but they aren't hockey pucks either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Bob R

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 10:04:57 PM »
I have a cast iron patty maker. I get 1 Lb packs of lean burger, divide the meat into 4 pieces, which is easy to do with a 1 LB package. Patty paper top and bottom, and form. I will be doing about 40 pounds for the Saddle Club Horse Show tomorrow.

Bob

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 06:08:51 AM »
Then enter the burger challenge!

Burger challenge?????

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Hamburgers
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 06:52:47 AM »

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2017, 06:56:46 AM »
Thanks...

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2017, 08:20:29 AM »
every time I watch a bbq pit boys video I just think there has to be so much cross contamination from the raw meat lol . just a dish towel doesn't sanitize when going from raw meat to utinsles or seasonings or cheese.