Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Killa Grilla?  (Read 4212 times)

therod

• Smokey Joe
Killa Grilla?
« on: November 25, 2019, 06:14:31 PM »
It was mentioned in another thread. And since I knew nothing about them, I had to go check them out. Stainless is obviously a low maintenance grate material. Much less than cast. I was actually debating on getting a porcelain coated cast iron rack for my Performer. But to those who have seen and or used the Killa Grilla racks, what do you think? I'm sure being stainless they conduct heat efficiently and take much less time and heat to come to temp. But do the Killa Grilla racks sear that much better than the standard stainless racks? That would be the only advantage for me. I have the stainless rack that came with the kettle. I also have a cast iron rack and a Skyflame stainless modular that I also bought a porcelain coated cast iron insert for. But since I'm a tool junkie I'm curious about the Killa Grilla racks. Fill me in please!

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
Re: Killa Grilla?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 07:45:34 PM »
@Cellar2ful - don't you have the KillaGrilla grates?
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Cellar2ful

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 08:45:06 PM »

I do have several Killa Grilla grates. I have them in the 18", 22" and 26" size.  I purchased them for their resistance to rust and etching from acids in food, marinades and sauces.  They are much easier to clean than cast iron or standard plated cooking grates.  I can't really address your question regarding searing as I usually reverse sear using a Slow N Sear and Easy Spin SS cooking grate.  This is my going on 3 year old 22" Killa Grilla grate.  I have no regrets in any of my Killa Grilla grate purchases.

Here is a review I wrote up on stainless steel cooking grates.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=27590.0
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 03:49:26 AM »
you won't be disappointed with a Killa grate
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 04:07:28 AM »
With killagrilla, you will get what you pay for.  Excellent product.  Easy clean and grate performance. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FuriousHobbit

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 05:12:58 AM »
Seriously considering one of these for myself too. I like the heavy duty weight of it. I haven't had a problem with my other grates, but I just like the beefiness of this one. And I like that I don't have to worry about the GBS center falling out haha

Not that I do it much anymore already, but how does the killa grilla grate spin? Looks like it should spin on the grill pretty smoothly. Does it @Cellar2ful ?

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 05:58:21 AM »
Seriously considering one of these for myself too. I like the heavy duty weight of it. I haven't had a problem with my other grates, but I just like the beefiness of this one. And I like that I don't have to worry about the GBS center falling out haha

Not that I do it much anymore already, but how does the killa grilla grate spin? Looks like it should spin on the grill pretty smoothly. Does it @Cellar2ful ?
spins better than most but not like an easy spin from ABC
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Normal_J_Bird

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 06:07:36 AM »
I purchased a Killa Grilla late summer and love it. Will certainly get more.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Cellar2ful

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 06:24:53 AM »
spins better than most but not like an easy spin from ABC

The Killa Grilla will spin but due to it's massive weight, not as easily as the ABC Easy Spin as Joe mentioned. The grate doesn't catch on the grate straps, it's the 9 lbs of weight that makes it harder to spin.  When spinning the Killa Grilla grate, I hold onto the front bowl handle with one hand to make sure the kettle doesn't attempt any gymnastic flips.   

FuriousHobbit

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2019, 06:51:29 AM »
...make sure the kettle doesn't attempt any gymnastic flips.   

LOL Thanks.

I think I was more curious than anything. I did a couple cold grate steak cooks early on. Not sure I'm super sold on all the gyrations needed for it anyway.

Time to start saving my pennies - I'm sold on getting one of these.

jdorn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2019, 07:06:54 AM »
I recieved a Killa grate from my Secret Santa last year and I LOVE IT! Truly a game changer for me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

KevinInStL

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2019, 10:38:02 AM »
Are the hinged sections removable on the Killa Grilla grates? Like they are on the ABC grate?

ISO: Dark red/crimson mist kettle (cooker condition). 18" preferred, but a 22" would be awesome too.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2019, 10:53:31 AM »
Are the hinged sections removable on the Killa Grilla grates? Like they are on the ABC grate?

Yes.  The make them like abc and like the Weber with flip up two sides.   They also make a plain no flip up, which is cheaper.   Saves $10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cellar2ful

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2019, 11:12:10 AM »

None of my Killa Grilla grates that have hinged charcoal sections are removable.  If you were to want one that has a removable section I would recommend you reach out to the owner (Mark Baron) of Killa Grilla.  He is pretty receptive to custom orders.  His contact information is on the Killa Grilla website.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2019, 12:00:42 PM »

I just reached out to Mark (owner of Killa Grilla) and Killa Grilla is currently running a 15% off sale on the purchase of two grates.  Sale is on from now through December 24.  Here is the message and links he sent me:

On Etsy.com and Killagrilla.com

A GRATE SALE! Save 15% on the purchase of any 2 items! Select 2 or more items  from our Online Store!

ALL KILLA GRILLA.com grates are made in USA !

We have shipped Our KG grill grates to Australia, Hawaii, Guam, Dubai and customers across the USA!. Thank you for your orders!

Additional grates are for purchase for your Weber grill. We have added charcoal grates and other sizes. Please let me know if you have custom grates that you need for your grill.   

Mark Baron