Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vortex Grilling  (Read 17228 times)

Winz

• WKC Ranger
Re: Vortex Grilling
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2015, 06:15:22 AM »

@Robert

For those that have both the small and the medium, can anyone lend any experience using the small vortex on a 22 or even a 26?  I cook a lot of big batches of both brats and ABT's and wondered if the small, while giving more real estate for cooking would hold up the temps for the larger area of the 22 and 26.  Going to be buying several for Christmas gifts this year.  Most have 22's but three have 26er's as well.

Thanks,

Robert

I bought the small for my 22 for the exact reason you mention.   I think it is the right size for what you are doing (brats and ABTs).  I can get temps up to 550 using lump.
For a 26er, I would go with the medium, especially if high heat (chicken wings) are a mainstay in your cooking rotation.

Winz
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 10:34:45 AM by Winz »
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2015, 10:06:54 AM »
@Winz how does the small work on your 22 for wings.  Does it get hot enough?  Was thinking about going with the small so I can use it on both my 22 and the 18.

Thanks!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2015, 10:28:18 AM »
The Vortex isn't just for chicken wings, try it with shrimp!

When you want a good sear, try a GrillGrate panel over the Vortex when used in combination with the Weber Gourmet BBQ system.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Vortex will generate a ridiculous amount of heat and as you can see in the shrimp picture below, it will accelerate the wear of your regular Weber grate.  You can see the rust starting to form in a perfect circle that matches the footprint of the Vortex cone.

I solved this problem with the Weber Gourmet BBQ grate.  It's funny how one purchase (Vortex) will justify another purchase (Weber Gourmet BBQ System).  (My girlfriend just had to point that out to me.  LOL)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice setups, @Derrick
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2015, 10:29:32 AM »
@Winz how does the small work on your 22 for wings.  Does it get hot enough?  Was thinking about going with the small so I can use it on both my 22 and the 18.

Thanks!

If wings are your primary objective, I would go with the medium.  I used to have a medium and it got hot (scary hot) and maintained high temps for long periods.  Perfect for wings.  I have had the small get to 550 with lump which will work for wings, but its just not as good a tool in my opinion.  It is perfect for the 18"   

For a 22' kettle, my take is the following:
Small Vortex - perfect for ABTs, brats, and any other high head indirect cooks.  Works OK for wings
Medium Vortex - the perfect tool for crispy wings, but you give up indirect grill space if you want to do a big load of ABTs.

Just my opinion....

Winz
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 10:38:21 AM by Winz »
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Robert

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2015, 05:05:03 AM »
Thanks Winz.  That's what I needed to know and good to get confirmation from a general usage experience.  Ordered four of the mediums, one for myself and three for gifts.  Will have to order a small now for myself.

Thanks,

Robert

THUNDERDOME

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2015, 07:19:51 AM »
I think Winz nailed it

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2015, 05:44:05 AM »
Our favorite Christmas present so far. Had to test it out last night. Holy cow does it work well. I've never seen the kettle get so hot so fast. I was half expecting to see enamel starting to bubble up. Amazing how well it works for wings. I am not as much of a wing fan as the rest of the family, and these were by far the best I've ever had.

Don't get me started about the oysters. Roasted in the shell is my favorite way to eat them.

With tatonka dust. My new favorite

Everything we tried last night
Q2000; 26er; P Code MT; 22 WSM

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2015, 09:47:52 AM »
Just got the small for Christmas, wish I'd asked for the medium after reading this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slicer021

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2016, 09:10:19 AM »
Been away from here for a good while now just busy with crazy stuff.  I did recently purchase a Vortex from Mad Hunky Meats and picked up some Hot Whang Rub as well while I was there lol.  I have really liked my Vortex so far.  It seems to be pretty versatile from what I can tell so far.  Only done thighs/wings, Steaks and Burgers so far though.  I will be trying the other methods with it as well.  Over all I am pleased with the Vortex and love supporting small USA made Companies as well.

Wahoo95

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2016, 03:53:36 PM »
I use mine for everything from wings to beer can chicken to pork butts. It's a versatile tool.  I've also found you have more capacity then many attempt to use!  That's a 22.5" Kettle with 33 whole wings on it. I prefer to cook less but pointing out how it can handle more than most believe.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 03:17:01 AM by Wahoo95 »

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2016, 07:05:01 PM »
26.75" OTG, medium Vortex, 16 chicken thighs.

I built a "silver Sombrero" with aluminum foil around the Vortex to keep the drippings out of my ash pan and to make cleaning easier.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Wahoo95

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2016, 03:18:57 AM »
I never worry about the drippings since I pull my vortex when finished and spread the coals around which causes them to burn off all those drippings.  I have the standard drip pan though....wouldn't do that with the captured ash catcher.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2016, 05:01:23 AM »
Yeah, wings and drumsticks are no problem. Thighs and leg quarters get messy.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2016, 05:53:08 AM »

26.75" OTG, medium Vortex, 16 chicken thighs.

I built a "silver Sombrero" with aluminum foil around the Vortex to keep the drippings out of my ash pan and to make cleaning easier.

How long did you cook your thighs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

Wahoo95

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2016, 05:57:37 AM »
I can do a full load of leg quarters or thighs under an hour