Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vortex Grilling  (Read 17227 times)

Turbo98

• Smokey Joe
Re: Vortex Grilling
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2016, 05:08:40 AM »
That's what the Smokenator instructions say to do.  I did some indirect cooking/smoking yesterday for the first time with the coals banked behind some bricks.  I lit them kind of like it was a Smokenator with 48 unlit down first then 12 lit on top.  Doing it this way is a lot faster as it only takes a few minutes to light those 12 coals in an upsidedown chimney.  Plus all the heat wasted waiting 20+ minutes for a whole chimney full of coals to ash over could be used to cook with.  But I'm not sure if one would need a "pre-heated kettle to use the Vortex effectively?
It'll actually take much longer to get the  necessary heat you're shooting for by using the vortex.  The whole concept is to cook indirectly with very high heat.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Yeah, after thinking about it a bit, I kind of figured that.  Thanks.
Just an old '89 kettle........

Wahoo95

• WKC Brave
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2016, 05:11:34 AM »
Don't forget it makes awesome beer can chicken!

Turbo98

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2016, 05:19:07 AM »
@SmokenJoe, Thankf for the info.  Over the years, I've always just piled the coals over to one side for indirect/smoking with decent results.  Easy re-fueling (once I got my hinged grate).  I just want to fine tune things and now have come across all of these devices.  As I mentioned, I just did a cook in which I used bricks to partition off the coals and it worked decently.  I suppose each one has it's best purpose.  For example, I do ribs occasionally and I couldn't see the Vortex being useful for that.  I would like to try it for the wings though.

Wahoo95

• WKC Brave
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2016, 05:25:28 AM »
The Brick Trick works well too and it's what I use when wanting to do 3-4 racks and not feeling like firing up my UDS.  I add a little foil to the hinged grate to force all of the heat around the dome so as not to burn the rack closest to the heat.

Turbo98

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2016, 05:38:17 AM »
Good idea with the foil reflector.  Yeah, if I do ribs, I like to do 3-4 racks and will use the rib rack.  Not worth firing it all up for a rack or two.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 05:43:16 AM by Turbo98 »

Turbo98

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2016, 07:29:40 AM »
Don't forget it makes awesome beer can chicken!
Nice!

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2016, 10:34:39 AM »
For beer can chicken I just set it in a $3 ss bowl. 

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk