Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vortex Grilling  (Read 17234 times)

Jon R.

• Smokey Joe
Vortex Grilling
« on: October 08, 2015, 04:23:06 AM »
Fellow Weber Grill Enthusiasts,

I am new to the site but a long time Weber griller/smoker fanatic.  I know all about direct and indirect grilling but while pursuing this great site, I came across a method I have never heard of before, vortex grilling.  What's the story on vortex grilling and where would one obtain a vortex "ring".  Thanks in advance.

Jon

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: Vortex Grilling
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 06:37:44 AM »
Welcome to the forum.

You can find a lot of Vortex info by just searching "vortex" in the forum.
There is also plenty of info plus purchasing availability here: http://vortexbbq.com/
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 12:06:11 PM »
Good info here if you want to play w/ the concept before buying another toy/accessory

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/poor-mans-vortex-or-just-around-charcoal-basket/
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

Jon R.

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 12:53:24 PM »
Thanks for the information, gents.

AcrossFromHoss

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 11:21:49 PM »
I'm sure our friend @MossyMO  would be more than happy to answer any of your questions beyond what you come across through your research. Welcome and look forward to seeing some of your cooks.
"Seeing pictures of a nice steak without viewing the middle is like seeing a nice pair of tits in a bra. You tease!!!!"
 22.5 black OTG kettle, 18.5 WSM, Jumbo Joe

MossyMO

• WKC Brave
    • Owens BBQ
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 04:31:47 PM »
Thanks for the heads up AcrossFromHoss!
I caught this late so if any questions Jon R. that were not answered on the links already provided, ask away!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 08:27:23 AM »
I recently got a medium vortex for my performer.  Haven't found anything to complain about yet. I've had really good results cooking "no oil fried chicken wings"  I'm hoping to use it this weekend with the wide end up as barrier between my snake and whatever I decide to smoke!  I haven't used it with the wide end up yet and am looking forward to seeing how it does with a snake.

Here is my vortex/wing thread:  http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/chicken-wings-with-vortex/
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 08:32:23 AM »
I like my Vortex. It is very versatile item.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 05:04:10 PM »
Wait.  This is both at vortexbbq.com and owensbbq.com .  Both look identical with very similar descriptions, but don't show any cross reference to one another.  Are both sites resellers of the same product?

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 06:59:56 PM »
Vortexbbq is the supplier, and OwensBBQ is a dealer. I bought mine from OwensBBQ, the shipping there was least expensive and they threw in complimentary rubs.

If you like chicken wings and parts, the Vortex is a keeper.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 08:07:28 AM »
I, almost exclusively, use the Vortex in the "cone" position.  It's the bomb for cooking wings ! !

I bought a charcoal ring from a WSM 18 and use it on my 22.  It even hold a disposable half-pan to catch drippings, make beans with the butt, etc.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Robert

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 04:26:24 AM »
For those that have both the small and the medium, can anyone lend any experience using the small vortex on a 22 or even a 26?  I cook a lot of big batches of both brats and ABT's and wondered if the small, while giving more real estate for cooking would hold up the temps for the larger area of the 22 and 26.  Going to be buying several for Christmas gifts this year.  Most have 22's but three have 26er's as well.

Thanks,

Robert

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 10:20:18 AM »
I bought the medium for my 22.  Then I got the 26er and the medium seems to work great on it as well.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Texmech

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 04:11:15 AM »
Count me in as a "Vortexer". As with others it's worth it just for the wings. I have had good luck with steaks and searing, but still need to work on that particular item. Great for burgers as well.

These Weber's are so vestal. Seems like every week I see another auxiliary item available. Lately have been looking at "smokenator".

Anyhow can't go wrong with a vortex.
Tex

Derrick

• Smokey Joe
Vortex Grilling
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2015, 02:56:31 AM »
The Vortex isn't just for chicken wings, try it with shrimp!

When you want a good sear, try a GrillGrate panel over the Vortex when used in combination with the Weber Gourmet BBQ system.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Vortex will generate a ridiculous amount of heat and as you can see in the shrimp picture below, it will accelerate the wear of your regular Weber grate.  You can see the rust starting to form in a perfect circle that matches the footprint of the Vortex cone.

I solved this problem with the Weber Gourmet BBQ grate.  It's funny how one purchase (Vortex) will justify another purchase (Weber Gourmet BBQ System).  (My girlfriend just had to point that out to me.  LOL)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 03:08:41 AM by Derrick »