Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: When not grilling, what type of cookware do you use?  (Read 4488 times)

jdefran

• WKC Brave
When not grilling, what type of cookware do you use?
« on: August 04, 2015, 09:48:19 AM »
Looking to replace our old pots and pans, would preferably like non-stick stuff and something that will last. From my research so far I have determine that some type of 'clad' is what I need.

Anyone have clad stainless steel cookware they can recommend?

MartyG

• WKC Performer
Re: When not grilling, what type of cookware do you use?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 10:27:25 AM »
Non stick and something that will last are tough to combine. I have been using All Clad D5 for a while now, and would recommend it to anyone. The nonstick I reserve for just a few skillets, and one is nearing the end of its useful life. One thing to keep in mind is that high heat will mess nonstick up in a hurry, and most pans are so thin that it's easy to burn them up. D5 can handle the heat, but still, be careful.

Cast iron can be a great alternative for non stick, but the weight is a turn off for my wife, so that's a factor. Still, don't discount a good iron skillet.

I should mention I rarely pay retail. I've found most of my collection at places like TJ Maxx or Home Goods. Usually around half price there, you just gotta be patient and keep looking.

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 10:59:13 AM »
@MartyG Thank you for the insight.

I should have added I do have a collection of cast iron (8", (2)-10", 12" skillets, 10" griddle, rectangular griddle, dutch oven, enameled dutch oven).

My primary purposes of the stainless cookware would be for acidic foods (tomato dishes, sauces/reductions, etc), boiling noodles, steaming veggies.

I enjoy shopping at Home Good/TJ Maxx so I will look out for stuff there. I suppose the key is to verify that more than just the base is clad. I assume the tag should be clear about the construction

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 11:05:35 AM »
Right, All Clad is fully clad, as is at most Calphalon. I do like the 5 ply over the 3 ply, but they do weigh more. I have some older USA made Calphalon I'll have for life. We use a big (and rare) 16 qt heavy heat treated aluminum stock pot for tomato canning and it works great. I like the fact that most All Clad is made in Pennsylvania. Wish I knew then what I know now about all this. Could have saved a fortune by not buying cheap pots and pans to save money.

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 11:31:33 AM »
all pans (except some glass lids) are SS & CI both are lightly wiped with Coconut oil for nonstick season & rich appearance.
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

powermatt99

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 12:49:01 PM »
I have a smattering of stainless cookware from AllClad and Calphalon along with some cheaper SS Farberware from my college days. I also have a smattering of cast iron including my newest purchase, a 12" Lodge Dutch oven. I rarely use non-stick but I only get non-stick from the local restaurant supply store. I have a 10" omelette pan that has outlasted any other non-stick I have owned. It was $35. I also have a 16" paella from the restaurant supply.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 01:55:32 PM »
For non-stick fry pans, I buy cheap stuff from restaurant supply stores.  It is going to wear out, so no need to drop big $.

For all other,  I have a number of cast iron pans that I use frequently.  Low cost and last forever if you take care of them.

I also have a weakness for Falk copper pots and pans (made in Belgium).  They are stainless steel combined with copper.  Very expensive, but will last way beyond my lifetime and I know my kids will enjoy them.  I simply love cooking with them - very even, responsive heat.  I have built my collection one pan at a time (1 new one each year) to smooth out the cost.

http://www.falkusa.com/copper-cookware/

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 02:01:29 PM »
Add my vote for CI as well. Other than that we have some Revere SS sauce pans (with the copper bottom) that go back to my childhood - over half a century. Judging by what I see on Amazon, the design hasn't changed much, though it would be interesting to compare weight.

We also have some Calphalon - not the non-stick but the anodized ones. The anodized finish seems to be more durable than the one PTFE lined pan that came with the set.
kettles, smokers...

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 02:45:05 PM »
Hey @Winz I wonder if the Fockers fry with Falk?

I admit I love my 12" All Clad non-stick pan. I even travel with it. Seriously. Knives too. The last two vacations have been so much more pleasant waking up to a good quality pan instead of whatever POS the kitchen might be stocked with. (We usually rent a house if enough people are going) And next time  I would seriously buy a new 22.5 grill and leave it behind rather than suffer through a vacation without. 

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 04:28:59 PM »
for nonstick, hit up your restaurant supply store.
don't use anything higher than medium heat, and no metal utensils.

I used to use the nonstick pans from ikea and get a good 18-24 months out of them (with constant use)

Craig

• WKC Mod
When not grilling, what type of cookware do you use?
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 07:55:27 AM »
I sell cookware and what Troy says is correct. Nothing above medium heat for non stick and NO METAL UTENSILS! As for brands I like a mixture of Calphalon Tri Ply SS (gorgeous and functional pans) and the Zwilling Henckels Motion pans. (Yes I said Henckels) All available at Bed Bath & Beyond.

Grizz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 01:10:12 PM »
we have some no stick stuff, but now that you mention it, when I'm not using a pizza stone, I'm primarily using stainless.  I have a 14 or 16 inch sauce pan and a 12 inch sautee pan.  I like to sear on the stove and then throw it in the oven for a couple of minutes.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 02:00:48 PM »
This thread only reminds me that winter is around the corner again [emoji23][emoji17][emoji22]

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 03:00:36 PM »
I have lots of calphalon pots and pans. Very happy with them. Been using them for 10 years. Probably need to replace a few of them. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stringplucker1

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2015, 07:28:10 AM »
DeBuyer Mineral B iron fry pans, 7.9" & 12.6"
vintage Keilen cast iron skillet, 12"
Lodge cast iron reversible Grill/Griddle
vintage Le Cruset omelette 6"
vintage Le Cruset saute pan
Le Cruset 9qt dutch oven

Looks like I only own heavy weight cookware.

"Light cooking isn't in my repertoire."
C&B Blue Performer