Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My Latest Project: SS Super Smokey Mountain  (Read 14566 times)

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Re: My Latest Project: SS Super Smokey Mountain
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2015, 03:06:13 PM »
Oh my goodness!!! That is a beauty one-off cooker there. I am very much liking all that burgundy and SS.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2015, 03:19:48 PM »
That's an awesome Mod Jeff! Now, where's that Glen Blue 26er?

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2015, 03:46:10 PM »
This reminds me that I really want a color WSM. Crimson or dark green would be cool! Dark blue too....

5280Jeff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2015, 03:54:23 PM »
Man......Winz might even be jealous on this one!!!!

That looks so nice I wouldn't be able to cook on it !!!!

I'm gonna abuse this grill!

Awesome smoker!!!!...........and kick ass attitude!

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2015, 07:07:03 PM »

"It's a big pretty red smoker with white gaskets and steel on the table and WHEELS and it looks like a big Tylenol"

;D

Sorry with my warped sense of humor I couldn't resist! Seriously, it's pretty badass! You'll have to share your inaugural cook. What's on the menu? :)

Not sure yet, I'd love to do a brisket, but the days are still kinda short yet.  I hate finishing a long cook when its dark out.  Gotta do an initial burn in yet to get it sort of dirty, burn off any coatings inside along with the fresh high temp gasket sealer on the Nomex.
Kettle collector AND cooker!

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2015, 09:11:08 PM »
awesome!
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2015, 01:28:07 AM »
I have been waiting for this to make an appearance...VERY nice!!!

timleo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2015, 08:34:30 AM »
You know what they say...'Bigger is better'.  I love the way the SS door matches the SS table.  Nice project.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2015, 10:01:28 AM »
Man......Winz might even be jealous on this one!!!!

Not jealous, just appreciative!

@Jeff  Beautiful work as always.  That SS hardware is a work of functional art!  A "compare and contrast" :

Having the integrated ash pan is a big plus.  With mine, you have to take the middle section off and empty the ash.  I also like the fact that the door is facing forward, and that you can use the setup as a regular grill.   

I bet the airflow control on yours (ash sweeper) will work just as well as the "dial vents" on a normal WSM.  Very interested in seeing how the first cook goes.

Great job!

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2015, 10:08:19 AM »
Winz, I was trying to think of a better word than jealous....hence the 'might be'....... :o

You spotted all the key points right off.......that thing will probably cook great !!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2015, 11:32:08 AM »
Speaking of key points...my concerns with this build were:

1) Obviously the height.  As mentioned before, the top grate is 51".  Still a very functional height for me at 5'10".  Sure, it could be a little lower, but its not that big of a deal.  On the flip side, access to the lower cooking grate, water pan, and charcoal is more convenient.  I might add that having the tables attached to this grill is going to be so helpful.  That's one thing I always wished I had when using the WSM by itself. 

2) I'm concerned about using the One Touch system on this setup.  The lower vents of a true WSM bowl are obviously mounted higher up on the sides of the bowl itself.  No way that ash would ever build up that high...even during an overnight cook.   I worry that during longer cooks, I'm going to have to be more conscious of the ash clogging up the vents because they are oriented so much lower in the bowl.  I'm not sure I want to sweep them back and forth to clear the vents...and in the process send a cloud of ash up towards the food. 

Does anyone have suggestions regarding the potential ash buildup issues, or any other potential problems?
Kettle collector AND cooker!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2015, 11:46:28 AM »
Sweep VERY slowly if you need to & I don't think you'll have a problem with it fluffing up into the food....might only have to do it once late in the cook............

Maybe make some marks for your settings so you get back to where it was.....

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2015, 11:49:01 AM »
One option is an Auto Temp Controller.  It would require you to drill a 1" hole in the bowl but would solve the ash problem, and give you the advantage of great temp control.  You could then leave the OTS closed and only use it for sweeping ashes.

I built a home made ATC for my smoker and did my first long smoke with it yesterday.  Pretty amazing to set the temp at whatever you want and walk away.  I used it for 3 hours at 225, and then dialed it up to 275 for 3 hours to finish some ribs in time for a party we were having.  It worked flawlessly.

With that SS cart, you have lots of options for mounting the ATC temp controller in a tasteful way.  You could then replace some bolts on the kettle with grommets for ambient temp and meat probes.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2015, 11:54:11 AM »
One option is an Auto Temp Controller.  It would require you to drill a 1" hole in the bowl but would solve the ash problem, and give you the advantage of great temp control.  You could then leave the OTS closed and only use it for sweeping ashes.

I built a home made ATC for my smoker and did my first long smoke with it yesterday.  Pretty amazing to set the temp at whatever you want and walk away.  I used it for 3 hours at 225, and then dialed it up to 275 for 3 hours to finish some ribs in time for a party we were having.  It worked flawlessly.

With that SS cart, you have lots of options for mounting the ATC temp controller in a tasteful way.  You could then replace some bolts on the kettle with grommets for ambient temp and meat probes.

Winz

^^^^  Listen the the mod artist......not me !!!!!

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2015, 06:22:22 PM »
Does anyone have suggestions regarding the potential ash buildup issues, or any other potential problems?

Looks sharp, Jeff! I've got a buddy who's done this set up with an 18" WSM and Platinum, and he's never had any problems w/ ash build up, even on longer cooks. I'm wondering if the HC internal ash pan might help with preventing build up, too. If certainly helps w/ my WSM (I've got a Bar B Kettle bowl). Not sure how low it sets, and whether or not you'd be able to slide the blades. I'll give that a shot later this week.

I was recently gifted a bit of a beater SS Performer from @bob hope . I've been eyeballing Winz's set up w/ his 18 and 22 WSMs and the cart... yours is a bit of a simpler use of the cart... I think I'll have to follow your lead on this one.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"