Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What's a good smoker thermometer?  (Read 6152 times)

Troy

• Statesman
Re: What's a good smoker thermometer?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2014, 09:25:17 PM »
What about the Maverick ET- 733? Does anyone know about this model? Some of the reviews I read on Amazon talked about the same problem I was having about the inability to set your own desired target temp of the meat.

from the amazone page: http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-ET-733-Wireless-Smoker-Thermometer/dp/B00FOCR4UI

"All Preprogrammed Temperatures can be reprogrammed to set cooking temperatures to suit your personal taste"

looks badass. i almost want to burn up my 732s so i can upgrade!

sunsanvil

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2014, 11:15:13 AM »
...there have been complaints about ease of use with the 733.

What have you heard?   I just watched this review of it and its seems pretty strait forward:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBtD_P3eTdw

Definitely has the set temp override people are asking about.

bthorn9435

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2014, 12:47:44 PM »
It had to do with the overall configuration and ease of setting, I am just going based on some things I've read.

I have several of the 732s and recently brought a 733. To be honest I find the 733 very fiddly to program and tend to stick to using the 732s. The dual purpose probes on the 733 could be an advantage if you need to keep changing probe types, however as I usually use one for the grill temp and one for the meat it isn't really giving me anything more than the 732. If I need to monitor more than one piece of meat I simply use a second 732.

My initial impressions of the 733 are that money would be better spent towards buying 2 x 732s rather than just 1 x 733. I will persevere with the 733 however to see if it grows on me.
2013 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain, 2007 Gen2 Performer w/Deep Ocean Blue Kettle Mod
68-70 Patent Pending 22.5 Daisy Wheel Red. 2021 Deep Ocean Blue Master Touch. 2013 22.5 Black One Touch Gold
2021 Ivory Smokey Joe

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
What's a good smoker thermometer?
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2014, 02:37:14 PM »
I have the older maverick 73 and the newer 732. Works very well with the newer WSM 's silicone probe grommet and have used them on the kettles as well. I have gotten to the point of using dome temp and also a polder on the grate - not fancy but will give you an idea of grate temp. Can always use a thermapen to check food temp.
Polder Oven Thermometer, Stainless Steel by Polder http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002TW8AUY/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_GGYqtb1J9MQHT
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 02:38:48 PM by Bbqmiller »

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2014, 05:13:19 PM »
My 732 is still in its box. I will probably use it this Spring at some point, but honestly my Oregon Scientific aw131 still works so well after several years of use that I'm not that desperate to try something else. And thats despite me dropping a hot coal on the transmitter and melting it a bit.   :o  You might check out the Oregon Sci aw131.

The Thermapen has become my go to tool, but I realize that's a different animal.

If you want to go top shelf on a dual probe unit, my buddy swears by his Thermoworks dual probe thermcouple thermometer and the various probes he has acquired to go with it ($$$).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 05:15:58 PM by cbpeck »

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2014, 05:30:17 PM »
That Thermoworks does not look like it has a wireless monitor like the Mav ?
If so, advantage Mav.

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2014, 06:25:47 PM »
What about the Maverick ET- 733? Does anyone know about this model? Some of the reviews I read on Amazon talked about the same problem I was having about the inability to set your own desired target temp of the meat.
I use the 733 and it is fully adjustable.  Set the temp to anything you want.  Both probes re adjustable to any temp you want.  Use mine every week since October.  Very happy with it.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2014, 06:20:53 AM »
If so, advantage Mav.

I believe you are correct, but the Thermo works unit is an INSTRUMENT. It's very precise. Frankly, its probably more precise than anybody really needs for low & slow.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2014, 07:02:26 AM »
If so, advantage Mav.

You can get Thermoworks quality in a wireless solution.  Dual probe, works with IOS or Andriod.  It is an expensive solution, but as cbpeck pointed out, it is more than most would need for low and slow.  However, if you have the money...

The BlueTherm Duo is a professional instrument designed for commercial applications but can be easily used in home or backyard settings for sophisticated and convenient temperature monitoring and recording.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/logger/bluetherm_duo.html
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 07:04:55 AM by Winz »
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2014, 07:33:23 AM »
If so, advantage Mav.

You can get Thermoworks quality in a wireless solution.  Dual probe, works with IOS or Andriod.  It is an expensive solution, but as cbpeck pointed out, it is more than most would need for low and slow.  However, if you have the money...

The BlueTherm Duo is a professional instrument designed for commercial applications but can be easily used in home or backyard settings for sophisticated and convenient temperature monitoring and recording.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/logger/bluetherm_duo.html

Yep, way out of the average backyard BBQ enthusiast's price point.
Hence the popularity of the Mav.

The Thermoworks product would be a great tool for high-stakes BBQ competition or commercial apps.