Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Dutch Oven: Granny Smith Breakfast  (Read 1612 times)

HankB

• WKC Performer
Dutch Oven: Granny Smith Breakfast
« on: November 17, 2013, 08:01:54 AM »
I have lost my original copy of this recipe and surprisingly have not been able to find the exact recipe on the Internet. I have reconstructed it to the best of my recollection which is always a risk. Fortunately it is one of those things where exact quantities are not that important and some variation in proportions will still lead to delicious results. It is a great winter camping breakfast because it can be kept warm for a little while in a cast iron Dutch oven. This morning I made it in my 5 quart Lodge combo. There was too much to mix in my 8" camp DO but I might have been able to fit it in that to cook. I did it (covered) this morning in the oven and put it under the broiler a couple minutes w/out cover to brown the cheese. Today I used Savory Sage sausage and Oat Nut (whole grain) bread.

Ingredient List
    1 lb loose breakfast sausage
    4 eggs
    4 slices of bread cut into 1” cubes.
    3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1-¾” pieces.
    1 tsp grated nutmeg
    12 oz cheddar cheese, grated.[/li]

Instructions
    Cook the sausage in the Dutch oven and remove excess grease.
    Mix in the remaining ingredients, reserving half of the cheese.
    Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top and cover the Dutch oven.
    Bake over the charcoals with some coals on the top to brown the cheese. Should take about 45 minutes. (Note: Charred eggs taste awful so do not try to rush with excess heat! Don’t ask me how I know.)

Allow to cool a bit (not usually a problem on winter campouts!) and serve.

Variations include using whatever apples you have on hand, choosing a flavored breakfast sausage or going with rye and/or whole grain bread. For a standard size (12”) camp Dutch oven, double this recipe.
kettles, smokers...

kako5256

• WKC Brave
Dutch Oven: Granny Smith Breakfast
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 08:52:57 AM »
Mos def gonna try this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it's a weber, I can't pass on it. That's my sickness! I hope I am never cured.