Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Avocado near Lexington, VA  (Read 3585 times)

Bman

• WKC Performer
Avocado near Lexington, VA
« on: October 06, 2013, 01:58:51 PM »
Friends of ours bought a house near Lexington, VA and invited wifey & I down this weekend.  It's not the first time we've been there, but the first time something caught my eye.  As we were driving the backroads headed towards I81, I virtually slammed on the brakes and gave my wife a panic attack.  What she didn't realize, is I spied my first 'cado in someone's back yard.

Heck yeah I turned around to do my first ever door-knock.  Didn't have to knock as the owner was sitting on the front porch.  I said "this is going to sound weird, but..." and went from there.  We walked around back where I got the grills history amongst other unique stories all the while I was allowed to take some pics with the phone.

Pre-patent number vent

Yes, thumbscrews.  Probably the oldest grill I've seen in person

Metal wheels

One of the stories mentioned there's an original rotisserie ring and skewer set.  I inquired about the skewers to see if they were THE skewers.  Yup, after a quick trip into the barn - I was holding a wooden handled kabob skewer in my hand.  And that's where the excitement comes to a close.  There was just too much emotional attachment as it's been in the family since the 60's to make a sale or trade. (I had my pretty mint OT Red Head with me.)  It's still used, and loved, at least once a week.  They even make their own lump charcoal.  I was told to stop back in after a year or two if I was still interested.  I was also told warned they'd be armed and hint-hint - no funny business.  lol   Hmmmm, wonder if my semi-similar Metal Bowl Handle red head as trade would help the cause.  (the one on the left I'd gladly trade, but I had the one in the middle with me)

In other news, this was kinda cool to see.  Instead of turning the old grill into a planter, they got this from a music fest where it was left behind after getting damaged below the bowl.

This was also pretty cool to see.  A Coleman gas grill from the 50's I was told.  Great shape!

Hopefully in a year or so I can dig this thread back up for an UPDATE...
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Duke

• The Duke
Re: Avocado near Lexington, VA
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 02:04:35 PM »
Great pictures and story. I think I would take the hint that they were armed and leave it at that. ;)

Pioneer

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 02:07:37 PM »
Cool grill - thanks for the photos Bman
WSM 22.5", 22.5" OTG, 2 SJS, Blue SS Performer, WGA

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 02:32:41 PM »
That is certainly the oldest avacado I have seen. Cool story.

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 02:47:23 PM »
Well, at least now you know where there is one...trust me, file that one in the back of your mind.
NYC Kettle Hunter (where <30 min drives do not exist)

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 03:03:02 PM »
That's awesome. I'll do the door knock sometimes, and usually get shot down. I love stories like this. Sorry you missed out but you have a great story.
A Wonderful Family!!!

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 03:04:27 PM »
Cool story Chad, thanks for sharing it, and that middle red head is gorgeous.

IbeBBQ

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 03:15:48 PM »
I'm a newbie here but I just happen to have one of those old avocado Webers (been using it for a fire pit since the legs finally rotted off and the vents seized (I had no clue they were in demand).
My take on the Weber Kettle is that the oldies were way better than the new ones.  Heavier steel, enamel, aluminum, and concentric shape that allow proper sealing between the top and bottom.
I currently possess 5 or six kettles (not sure cuz I give em away as fast as I acquire them (great gifts to friends).
I love BBQ and have owned over 50 different types of BBQ devices.

Nice to know I am not the only Freak Job in this world that feels this way LOL
Rick

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 03:37:43 PM »
Hey IbeBBQ.  Would love to see some pics of your grills, especially the Cado fire-pit.  Introduce yourself in the Introduce Yourself section when you get the chance and welcome to the club.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 04:40:44 PM »
Great story, Bman, and thanks for sharing it.  You really are on fire!
One of the charcoal people.

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 07:24:34 PM »
C'mon Duke, us gun-rights-states know all you Cali people are just afraid of the word gun.  :)
On the other hand, the 'climate' for the remaining conversation was crystal clear.  lol  I think we stood there chatting for 30+ minutes or so.  It just wasn't meant to be,,, today.

IbeBBQ - yes, do post pics of your grills.  And for gawds sake, quite using that 'cado as a burn barrel.  Find a black kettle for that purpose.  lol
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 08:21:14 PM »
Bman, thanks for sharing. I had the same with the Wood Dale, can appreciate their emotional attachment. Mine had the Knock had the same, but I did enjoy the chat, as I'm sure you did. Did your heart flutter a little bit?:) I know mine did...

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 08:29:04 PM »
The only 'knock' I've done so far was on the window of a pickup truck, but when I did it I felt like the whole WKC was standing behind me, waiting and watching.  It was very exciting. 
One of the charcoal people.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 06:49:54 PM »
:o I've got to bump!  How on earth did I miss this one! Sorry I'm super late. Great story and attempt to secure one of the earliest 'Cados made. I love the higher up mist ring of the pre patent/thumbscrew era cados. Great photos Bman!  :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 04:04:16 PM by Craig »

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 09:48:36 PM »
thats the same vintage as my cado from half grilled

GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER