Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Building a custom table  (Read 22176 times)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Building a custom table
« on: September 04, 2013, 04:55:48 AM »
So I posted how I got this 1986 black kettle, in great shape for the age, but it had an odd lean to it.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/weekend-scores/

Well I took it apart and found 2 leg sockets bent

Normal

Bent

not sure how well the other one showed it but this one shows how it is not at the proper angle

So I was waffling on the idea but I think this confirms it, I am going to do a table for this.

I have seen a lot of tables made some of them are overkill, I think I can frame it with 2x4 and use maybe 1 x 4 decking and do it on the cheap.
Any thoughts, advice for me before I get started?

I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
Building a custom table
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 04:58:58 AM »
Put wheels on it for sure. Also plan for covered storage. At least I would. Otherwise have fun and I can't wait to see the finish.

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
Re: Building a custom table
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 05:15:03 AM »
You're over-thinking it. No need for the framing. The sorts of weights involved will be well supported by the use of just the 1 X 4 decking. That's how I made mine.

If it breathes, we can cook it!

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 06:16:45 AM »
As a custom cabinet maker, I agree with Jocool.  No need for the 2X4 framing.  Use your 1X material for everything.
And for gawd's sake - no 4X4 posts for the legs.  It's not holding up a hot tub.  ;D
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 06:20:55 AM »
As a custom cabinet maker, I agree with Jocool.  No need for the 2X4 framing.  Use your 1X material for everything.
And for gawd's sake - no 4X4 posts for the legs.  It's not holding up a hot tub.  ;D

Great, that is a really nice table

What about wheels?  should I use Weber wheels that I already have with a bar and some caps?  I was thinking of using caster wheels but they are kind of expensive.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 06:49:48 AM »
Jocool - how are the kettles mounted? If I had to guess I'd say the handle brackets are secured to the underside of the table top. Your table surface doesn't butt up against the bowl, does it?

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 07:08:37 AM »
I think I will rest the handles on the wood and put in an additional L bracket on the side,  there needs to be a gap (my understanding) to compensate for the heat of the kettle.

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
Re: Re: Building a custom table
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 07:19:56 AM »
Jocool - how are the kettles mounted? If I had to guess I'd say the handle brackets are secured to the underside of the table top. Your table surface doesn't butt up against the bowl, does it?

I mounted my Kettles by drilling a 1/4 hole in each of the straps that support the charcoal and cooking grates. And then used some perforated metal straps to connect to the table. I can get some more details pictures when I'm on the PC to show you.

There is a guy not far from me that regularly makes and sells a single kettle table on E-Prey.  He just cuts the hole and has the 2 handles supporting the kettle. It seems to work for him.

And yrs, I have left a 1 inch air gap all the way around the kettle so I don't overheat the table and make it smolder.

Sent from another planet using Mental Telepathy.

If it breathes, we can cook it!