Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: End of Summer/ My bday cookout w/ lots and lots of pics.  (Read 3857 times)

Aawa

• WKC Brave
End of Summer/ My bday cookout w/ lots and lots of pics.
« on: September 02, 2013, 06:25:10 PM »
Saturday was my 36th bday and I figured why not have a big cookout for friends to come over and celebrate it and the end of summer.

This is what I started with.  5 pork butts (7-9lbs each), 2 briskets (15.5lbs each), 7 racks of spare ribs, 10lbs of thighs and drumsticks. (chicken not pictured)

Friday night had a meat trimming party and got the briskets and pork butts into the UDS.  Rubs I used were the Adam Perry Lang rub for pork shoulders and then 50/50 S&P on the brisket, APL's chicken rub, and Simply Marvelous Cherry Rub on the ribs.

Getting the UDS with cherry and pecan wood and Cowboy Lump.  I brought it up to 325 degrees as I knew the temperature would drop like a rock in water with the amount of meet I was putting into it.  It settled in at 225 and cooked from 10 at night to 1 in the afternoon.

In the morning I pulled the brisket and the pork butts off as they finished and wrapped in foil.  I put the pork butts in a cooler and briskets in the oven.  Then moved my operation off the deck onto the small patio I have.  It was an impressive sight to almost all my guests and they asked if I had a grilling problem.  Chicken was done in the mini.

Loaded up the UDS with a majority of the St. Louis trimmed ribs and rib tips and the Performers with rib tips as well.  I didn't use the inner rack on the ribs because I didn't want to fuss with it while guests were here, or get my non bbq shirt stained.

Pictures of the final product of pulled pork, brisket, and ribs.  My friends who I assigned to take pictures were busy stuffing their faces as I was taking the chicken off the smoker and putting it on the table.

Friend made a dericious Leche Flan cake for my bday that I had to share a picture of because it was so farking good.

Party was a huge hit and had a ton of food leftover.  So in the morning I split this with my sister and her friend before we went to the beach. Corncake w/ mac and cheese inside of it, mac and cheese and pulled pork on top w/ hot sauce over that.
* 2011 Touch and Go Performer * 2009 Touch and Go Performer * 2005 Touch and Go Performer * Sublime Smoke Ugly Drum Smoker * 2012 Mini WSM *

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
Re: End of Summer/ My bday cookout w/ lots and lots of pics.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 06:34:14 PM »
wow...that is one friggin impressive cook.
NYC Kettle Hunter (where <30 min drives do not exist)

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 06:34:43 PM »
Wow.

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 06:39:06 PM »
OMG! That looks like an amazing cook! I would love to dig in that! The whole neighbourhood must have smelled amazing!

Great job!

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 06:39:14 PM »
wow...that is one friggin impressive cook.

It took me 2 days of relaxing on the beach to recover from that cook on friday night through saturday!
* 2011 Touch and Go Performer * 2009 Touch and Go Performer * 2005 Touch and Go Performer * Sublime Smoke Ugly Drum Smoker * 2012 Mini WSM *

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 06:39:37 PM »
Happy Birthday!! That is an amazing amount of smoked meat. I bet the party was killer!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 06:57:33 PM »
Great cookup
And happy bday
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 07:05:45 PM »
Happy Birthday and awesome looking food! :D

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 08:16:56 PM »
Awesome birthday feast! :)

A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 08:50:43 PM »
Happy Birthday Aawa!!!!!!!! :D

That was one serious cook! I loved all of the pictures, but that last one of the Corncake w/ mac and cheese inside of it, mac and cheese and pulled pork on top w/ hot sauce over that. was epic! 8) Please share the corn cake recipe some time. ;)

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 05:49:59 AM »
Please share the corn cake recipe some time. ;)

+1 on that!  ;)

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 05:59:56 AM »
Happy Bday!  My 36th was last month and I bbq'd for a handful of buddies at my place, but NOTHING like that.  lol
Everything looked outstanding, but that flan won me over.  :D
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 06:27:36 AM »

Happy Birthday !!!!

All of it looks just grate !!!!

Esp. like how the brisket turned out, but really everything............... ;D ;D ;D

Good you had help, at least for MOST of the time !!!!

And thanks for spelling out the timing & rotation , the order of appearance of the cooking......

Good Show !!!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 06:33:21 AM »
Happy Birthday Aawa!!!!!!!! :D

That was one serious cook! I loved all of the pictures, but that last one of the Corncake w/ mac and cheese inside of it, mac and cheese and pulled pork on top w/ hot sauce over that. was epic! 8) Please share the corn cake recipe some time. ;)

Corn cake recipe

1 1/4 self rising corn meal
1 egg
1/4 cup milk (this is a guestimate, I'll adjust the milk content depending on the consistency I want with the batter)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder

I'll throw stuff into the corn cake to give it a little twist.  From 1/4 cup of shredded cheese, to a handful of mac and cheese, to some sauteed onions.  You are only limited by your imagination.

Joethebartender

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 07:53:14 AM »
I don't think that I'd make it to the beach after this:

Awesome cooking.  Loved the look of EVERYTHING!  Happy birthday.