Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Help restoring a Weber.  (Read 1904 times)

Finns

• Happy Cooker
Help restoring a Weber.
« on: August 19, 2023, 05:06:28 AM »
Hello, is there a section on restoring grills here? I am only on the lid so far and was able to scrape off the regular gunk with a razor blade but it didn't even touch the carbonized layer. This is a 12 year old grill that was garage kept but never cleaned. I have used Weber Exterior grill cleaner,  Goof Off, Zep Commercial Oven Cleaner, Dawn Powerspray. I have scraped with razor blades and #0000 steel wool and wood shims. If anyone has any ideas where to find some ideas on accomplishing this I would sure appreciate it. Thank you!

Cellar2ful

Re: Help restoring a Weber.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2023, 06:33:54 AM »

On the WKC Home Page there is a Grill Restoration Guides section that has links to individual restoration guides.  I use a desktop PC so the section is easy to find and navigate.  If using a smart phone the Restoration section may not be as easily found.  Below are the restoration links:

http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-grill-restoration-interior-and-exterior-kettle-cleaning/

http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-charcoal-grill-restoration/triangle-restoration-rust-removal/

http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-charcoal-grill-restoration/cleaning-and-polishing-old-aluminum-legs/

I have cleaned easily over 100 vintage Weber kettles and I have yet to find one that could't be cleaned using a razor scraper.  The trick is to change the blades frequently.  The razor blades will become dull quickly when scraping off really hard, carbonized grease.  It's not uncommon to use four or five razor blades cleaning one lid. 
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Finns

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2023, 07:29:56 AM »
Hello Cellar2ful! I found that page somewhere in my searches for help in doing this and that's how I found this group. I have been basically following his instructions. In his write up he didn't say to do anything different after the gunk is scraped off and you are left with the carbon layer. I have resorted to using the oven cleaner. I started yesterday on the lid getting down to the carbon. Then this morning I sprayed it with the oven cleaner and let it sit for 30-45 minutes. It seemed to come off a little easier today. I am left with a bunch of small spots of the carbon. I was going to try the steel wool but I have not been changing the blades out as often as you suggested. I think I might put a new blade in it and do one more round of oven cleaner then try the steel wool. I appreciate the suggestion! Have you tried the Weber Grate Cleaner or the Weber Stubborn Stain Remover on any of your's?

SixZeroFour

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2023, 08:44:04 AM »
Sounds like you are on the right track! Just be sure to be safe with the oven cleaner and wear gloves and a mask as that stuff is pretty nasty. I really like the Weber Exterior Grill Cleaner as my all round grill cleaner and use it often along with the steel wool to scrape down the crud. The steel wool should take care of those little bits now that you've scraped the bulk on the mess out of there.

Look forward to seeing your results! 
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2023, 07:08:25 PM »
Try to avoid getting any oven cleaner on any aluminum parts.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2023, 07:12:42 AM »
I clean kettles on my back lawn.  I try to use environment friendly cleaning soaps as when I hose off the kettles, everything drips onto the lawn. Because of this I have been using Dawn concentrated soap and SOS pads.  Both are non toxic and do not harm my lawn. I have used the Weber Grate Cleaner when cleaning the inside of gas grills. I spray it on, let it sit for 10 minutes, then power wash.  When cleaning kettles, here is my normal routine:

- scrape inside of lid and bowl with a razor scraper

- scrub the inside and outside of the lid and bowl using Dawn soap and a SOS pad

- once dry, remove any carbonized residue left by using #0000 steel wool
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Gringo

• WKC Ranger
Help restoring a Weber.
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2023, 05:53:20 PM »

On the WKC Home Page there is a Grill Restoration Guides section that has links to individual restoration guides.  I use a desktop PC so the section is easy to find and navigate.  If using a smart phone the Restoration section may not be as easily found.  Below are the restoration links:

http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-grill-restoration-interior-and-exterior-kettle-cleaning/

http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-charcoal-grill-restoration/triangle-restoration-rust-removal/

http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-charcoal-grill-restoration/cleaning-and-polishing-old-aluminum-legs/

I have cleaned easily over 100 vintage Weber kettles and I have yet to find one that could't be cleaned using a razor scraper.  The trick is to change the blades frequently.  The razor blades will become dull quickly when scraping off really hard, carbonized grease.  It's not uncommon to use four or five razor blades cleaning one lid.

Changing the blades is so true!  I have cleaned about 30-40 kettles. My process is:

- Use one blade to around the kettle bowl to get majority of buildup   Round 1

- Take a quarter section (between grate holders and use as many blades to to get all grease and grime to a smooth porcelain; usually 3-5 per section. Also, flip your razor scraper handle “up side down” don’t mean hold the raze with you hand. :-) Round 2

- Use 1 or two razors on the rim of bowl Round 3

- Spray Sam’s Club Members Mark Grill cleaner on the bowl and let set 30 mins. Take 0000 Steel wool and scrub each section.

- Rinse well with a hose. Same process for lid but usually hard build up on lid so more razors are needed.

Works for me…sorry, mine aren’t vintage…been a long weekend. Apologies.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: August 20, 2023, 05:55:45 PM by Gringo »

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2023, 12:17:02 PM »
I restore and flip a lot of kettles and have it down. What works for me is to rough scrape the bowl and lid interiors then use Members Mark Oven Grill and Fryer cleaner liberally, rinse and repeat if necessary. LA Awesome (from the Dollar Store or online) interior and exterior, hose and dry, then I get down to fine tuning, razor scraper on interior if needed then spray exterior with on oil based Stainless steel cleaner, fine steel wool or 3M pad on the porcelain surface. On the daisy vents I use poly/nylon cup brush and wheels with light pressure to remove oxidation followed by the stainless cleaner and 3M pad.
Over the years I’ve tried many different methods and this works for me. I’ve also refurbished PK’s and cast aluminum grills, Hasty Bakes and Lodge Sportsman’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!