Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: dbhost is back!  (Read 35074 times)

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
dbhost is back!
« on: August 01, 2023, 02:47:50 PM »
So it has been a long time I should re-introduce myself, especially since my life has radically changed...

I am now sadly a widower, and have been struggling with some health issues caused by stress after her passing. In my recovery though, I am rediscovering my love for BBQing and Grilling...

I have a bit of a collection of Webers.

A mid 90s 3 wheeler, that is having issues with the handle. The finish went bad and rust set in at the welds which are now failing. I am planning on bobbing the handle off of the lid and converting it to a Taco Shell style handle. I know not the popular choice but it will keep a proper Weber handle on it, and will keep it going. It is fitted with a 2" Dozyant thermometer in the id between the vent and the edge.

An early '00s Smokey Joe, the little table top bugger, outfitted with a carry bag, and a small size Weber charcoal chimney. I use this for camping trips when I don't want to use my UCO Flat Pack grill and fire pit. The Weber works better, but sucks up more space in the camper...

Not sure how long ago, probably 2017, Jumbo Joe Premium, the Walmart Exclusive model, with the same thermometer the 3 wheeler is fitted with. It is also fitted with a hinged stainless steel grate, and a stainless steel charcoal grate as the original rusted out due to my stupidity... The bowl is MUCH shallower than the standard kettle and, well it is good for fast grilling but that is about it...

And my new within the last 2 weeks, standard kettle premium. The 22" kettle with one touch cleaning, catch pan etc... in the copper finish. It was one of those lighning deals on Amazon, stumbled on it looking for a handle for the 3 wheeler and it was at my door 2 days later... Not sure how that happened :-P

I typically do a big cook doing a smoke on 2 of them at once, usually a brisket on one, and ribs on the other, although this past weekend was brisket and leg of lamb...

Since I no longer have my wife and in laws to cook for, I am doing more infrequent cooks, and then vacuum bagging it up for the freezer. And I have friends I cook for when the inspiration hits me...

I am looking to add charcoal baskets to help with putting the heat exactly where I want it instead of the water pan and dumping coals on the sides of the water pan method I have been using.  Been working on my grilling skills as well as I have never been very good at grilling steaks. I have a good thermometer now and have been putting in a bit of practice...

The new kettle with that one touch cleaning system, wow is that a game changer! WIsh I had gone with that in the first place instead of the Jumbo Joe Premium...
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

ASpitzer

• WKC Brave
Re: dbhost is back!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2023, 08:04:32 PM »
Welcome back from Kalona, IA. Sorry to hear of your loss but it sounds like your therapy of cooking is going well. Keep cooking and moving forward.
1957 Wood Dale Demo, MLH Mothership Ranch, 1980 Smokey Joe Black, 2014 Smokey Joe Black, 1992 Master Touch Green, 2022 Original Black, Glen Blue 26 in., 70th Anniversary Hot Rod Yellow

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2023, 03:40:27 AM »
Welcome back, sorry for your loss, grilling therapy is good
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

SixZeroFour

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2023, 10:03:08 AM »
Sorry for your Loss dbhost. Glad to have you back and wishing you a health recovery and many tasty BBQ's
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2023, 10:54:19 AM »
Welcome back sir and I'm so very sorry for your loss.  It must have been a very difficult time for you - I'm sure it still is on some days.  I'm glad you're getting back in the grilling game which can be very rewarding.  One our favorite things to do here is share our cooks, methods and recipes - me along with probably too many pictures usually - but all very much for the fun and comradery we share.  Please share often as it can be therapeutic and will keep you focused on the positives in life.

Cheers friend.......

bladz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2023, 01:40:28 AM »
So sorry for your loss. Welcome back, and we  hope to see some of your cooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2023, 09:53:51 AM »
Welcome back!  Saddened for your loss. An event in life everyone dreads and will bare witness to, is to suffer the loss of a loved one.  God Almighty has our destiny already mapped out for us. Kinda

makes you realize just how short life really is. Hobbies are therapeutic on the slow road to recovery. Godspeed.

MoparProud

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2023, 10:27:14 AM »
Welcome back and sorry to hear the loss. Can’t imagine.

Hopefully ‘q and talking ‘q with a bunch of strangers helps in some way[emoji106]

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2023, 08:01:25 PM »
My condolences and deepest sympathies for you.

Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2023, 09:57:36 PM »
Welcome back and sorry for your loss.  @dbhost a local buddy made some stainless steel handles (without the taco)  I may have baskets if you're interested.  Let me know.
ISO Yellow Offset SJ, Yellow ranger

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2023, 08:47:54 AM »
Thanks folks. I am adjusting. I do need to fix up my old 3 wheeler as the handle is trying to fall off the lid. The weld is literally failing but the metal seems fine. I have a friend that is a pretty good welder. Might see if I can get him to fix that instead of converting to a taco shell handle... Just not sure what sort of finish to apply. WIsh they made high temp gloss paint...
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

Bertl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2023, 05:06:19 AM »
Sorry for your loss, grilling is the best therapy

Gringo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2023, 12:00:32 PM »
DBHost, welcome back!  Sincere condolences!  Look forward to seeing how grilling again makes you smile.