Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wireless probe thermometer  (Read 219 times)

Chesapeake Weber

• WKC Brave
Wireless probe thermometer
« on: December 29, 2022, 08:03:08 AM »
Looking at a single Meater+ vs. a ThermoPro TempSpike.  Anyone have experience with one or the other (or both)?  Quick search on the forum brought up some discussion on the older Meater probe, but not the Plus model.  From the web it seems the TempSpike has a better range and both generally perform temp duties reasonably the same.  Would mostly want to use for rotisserie cooks. 

Appreciate any experiences people have with either.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

cdp8

• WKC Brave
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2022, 08:18:48 AM »
I have a MEATER+ that I received as a gift. I used it initially for rotisserie chicken. The ambient air temp is no better than a lid thermometer. I found the meat temp to be unreliably high. I haven’t used it in a couple of years.

If you want it for rotisserie usage, I recommend getting a good instant read thermometer. Then stop the rotisserie and lift the lid to check the temp.

If you are looking for remote monitoring for non-rotisserie cooks, I recommend getting a ThermoWorks smoke or signal.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 08:24:58 AM by cdp8 »

Chesapeake Weber

• WKC Brave
Re: Wireless probe thermometer
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2022, 09:12:29 AM »
Appreciate the info.  I have an instant read and the Fireboard 2.  So might be one of those save my money and do as you suggest.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2022, 10:51:45 AM »
Previously I used an old Maverick.  I was able to run the wire for the probe through the knurl that the spit rode on and used some Velcro to strap the sending unit to the handle of of the spit.  That allowed the sending unit to rotate and keep the wire for the probe from getting bound up.  That worked great for a couple of years but at some point the batteries leaked in the sending unit and I had to toss it.

Now I do the "lift the lid and test" method, but I don't use the rotisserie that often anymore.  I guess if I started using it more, I'd start looking for a used Mav . . .

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2022, 01:17:51 PM »
My wife gave me a Meater+ two years ago at Christmas and it’s been rock solid.  I’ve read other’s remarks on FB saying they are trash and I very much disagree.  The Meater+ is not inherently wifi capable although the Meater Block (4 probe model) is.  I use an older iPad to connect it to the internet and I can monitor a cook anywhere with my iPhone.  I use it for rotisserie mostly - yearly prime rib roasts and many rotisserie chickens throughout the year.  I currently have a sous vide steak going at 130F and tested my Meater+ in the water and it still reads spot on.  Ambient temp readings don’t always agree with lid or grate level readings from my ThermoWorks or other thermometers I use but that’s pretty common with any thermometer and it’s always in the ball park.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2022, 01:22:34 PM »
I’ll also add that the app is probably the best one I’ve used for grilling and the Meater+ can also be used in the oven.