Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Turkey on the WSM!  (Read 22139 times)

SeanE

• Smokey Joe
Turkey on the WSM!
« on: November 23, 2021, 04:25:17 AM »
I picked up my first WSM this summer.  Love it.  I've done lots of chickens and other meats but never have I done a turkey.  I have an 18lb bird I plan on smoking for Thanksgiving.  Who else has done turkey's?  Any advice?  I picked up a cover for the water pot and do not plan on using water.  I figure a few apple juice sprays will take care of business.  interested to hear your thoughts. 

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
Re: Turkey on the WSM!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 04:50:24 AM »
I have an 18” wsm. It’s never been used. I had one before and did a big huge brisket on it, which turned out great. Any way i dont know if I would spray apple juice. I would baste with butter. Also I’m going to be doing a wet brine this year…trying it out. I’ve stuffed herbed butter up under the skin before…like a whole stick… I also have done them on the grill in their own pan, to keep juices for gravy and to baste with. So many ways…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1MoreFord

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 11:31:13 PM »
Get a frame type beer can turkey stand and don't use a beer can.  Just stand it upright so it cooks equally inside and outside.
Joe

Falcon MK V gas grill, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG,  Weber 22" OTG

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2022, 06:37:02 PM »
i have done a few turkeys on my 18 from 16 to 20 lbs. and I wet brined over night and then dried and i did put Butter under the skin, then seasoned. setup was minion method with a 3 chucks of wood, light types, Apple, Pecan, Peach something like that. I do not used water in the bowl but i do put a pizza pan on top to make clean up easier, and a drip pan for catching the gray juices. i set the temp for about 275 to 325. then rotate the grate 90 degrees every 30 minutes of so. a 20 lb bird takes about 3 to 3.5 hours i do run a temp probe into 2 places breast, thick part of thigh.
they come out great with excellent flavor, and light Smokey aroma.
Enjoy
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 06:38:51 PM by Easy »

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2022, 06:20:47 PM »
I highly recommend wet brining….I did two Turkey last year and wet brined them, they turned out excellent,

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

SeanE

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2022, 04:28:55 AM »
I've had a lot of good success with full turkeys on my 18" WSM.  I had a friend make me a oversized beer can chicken base.  Basically a hollow cylinder about 12-14" high and a wide, thin base.  I fill the tube with a beer, cut up onion, celery, carrot, thyme, rosemary, and garlic.  Rest is simply time.  Nothing more.   

The finished product is as almost juicy as the turkey's I do in y rotiss oven.  I ceased with the brining on the rotiss and the WSM and my family likes it better no brine.