Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hillbilly noob  (Read 284 times)

JustTom

• Happy Cooker
Hillbilly noob
« on: June 01, 2022, 01:32:44 PM »
As usually happens, at some point on Monday while smoking a pork butt, I singed a knuckle while taking a temp reading.  For years, every time it happens I swear loudly and swear quietly that I'm going to get a new handle and throw away the dilapidated pot holder I have wrapped around the lid top.   Then I promptly forget about it until next time.   Yesterday was different and  I finally went to the Weber site to order a new one.  Saw one for what they said was pre-2013 and dropped it in the cart.  It was plastic and I had thought the one I had was wood but who cares, it's a handle.  But on a lark, I decided to unwrap the pot holder and look.  My top had 2 holes, and all of the ones they sold were a single screw.  So, remembering to get one was for nothing.

Search eventually landed me here when I was trying to find out a model and maybe a picture of what the handle looked like before it crumbled away long ago.  Until yesterday I didnt know kettle collecting was a thing, lol.  Its just what I've used to smoke with.  But now I know there are those who care about wooden handles. 

Anyway, after spending a while wasting time distracted trying to find out wth MBH meant, I found the age guide, and I think mine is a 1978 based on the thinness of the vent tab.   Is there a chart or post somewhere that has the wooden top handle measurements for these?  If I decide to buy a set instead of making something,  is the top lid handle dimensions on all them of that age the same, so anything with 2 holes will fit, or the hole spacing and bracket height varies??

Thanks.

n3wfy

• Smokey Joe
Re: Hillbilly noob
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2022, 03:11:10 PM »
Hey welcome to the forum. I'm new here too.

On the front page at the top there is a button for handles. Here is the link http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-handles/
East coaster turned mainlander.
Love grill'n on my weber.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2022, 04:41:19 PM »
Welcome to the Wkc [emoji2321]
If you are looking for handles, you can send a message to Zavod44.
He is the one that makes most of the beautiful wooden handles that you see posted here. You can also look on ebay.
This is a link to one of his handles.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284789289879?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=0v5jkVVCSp-&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=wWxJKWxFQX-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Sent from my SM-G975U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2022, 05:20:04 PM »
Welcome from Virginia Beach, VA.

JustTom

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2022, 03:10:08 AM »
Thanks, guys.   I asked my wife whether she liked the mahogany or the maple and she looked at me as if I'd lost my mind and said just get a new pot holder, lol.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2022, 04:23:24 AM »
Welcome from Doraville, Ga. like Kneab said Zavod44 for the win
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2022, 05:50:17 AM »
Welcome from Huntsville, AL.  Some new wood on that kettle will look great! 

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2022, 04:55:29 PM »
Thanks, guys.   I asked my wife whether she liked the mahogany or the maple and she looked at me as if I'd lost my mind and said just get a new pot holder, lol.

PM me your address, I’ll send you a gently used wood handle. No need to buy a new hot pad holder. Lol

ASpitzer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2022, 06:04:54 PM »
Welcome from Kalona, IA. You'll love having a new handle. These folks will take good care of you. Wonderful people.
1957 Wood Dale Demo, MLH Mothership Ranch, 1980 Smokey Joe Black, 2014 Smokey Joe Black, 1992 Master Touch Green, 2022 Original Black, Glen Blue 26 in., 70th Anniversary Hot Rod Yellow

Veekz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2022, 12:07:05 AM »
Welcome from Keaau, Hawaii!