Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Finally got myself an SSP, the bowl is in pretty rough shape, help please  (Read 274 times)

MapleLeaf.kettle

• Smokey Joe
Hi everyone, I’m so excited because I just got my dream performer, a redhead SSP. The frame is in decent shape, I just have to do a bit of cleaning due to bit of rust and it’s missing the bin, which I reckon would be very difficult to find.

The only thing I really see being a problem is the kettle itself, which kills me inside because I really wanted to restore it to its original state, it seems to have rusted out? I have included a picture, hopefully I could get some insight on what steps I could do to remedy it or should I just forget the kettle, restore the frame and find another kettle to replace it?

Just another bit of information is that I’m a Canadian and it’s a lot harder to find Weber parts/used Kettles. So what may be common in the USA, is a bit more rare in Canada.

Thank you to everybody in advance, I’m looking forward to getting started on my first restoration.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 05:02:24 AM by MapleLeaf.kettle »

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Congrats on your SSP!  I see from your prior posts you’ve been searching for a red SSP since last year. 

I posted your pic, and unfortunately I think your bowl is roached beyond basic restoration.

Any suggestions from the group?  Repair or replace?

MapleLeaf.kettle

• Smokey Joe
Congrats on your SSP!  I see from your prior posts you’ve been searching for a red SSP since last year. 

I posted your pic, and unfortunately I think your bowl is roached beyond basic restoration.

Any suggestions from the group?  Repair or replace?

Thank you so much for posting the picture! I couldn’t for the life of me figure out how to change it to the allotted size. I was afraid you were going to say that, but you can’t change the reality. If it needs to be replaced, I’m not sure what type of lid/bowl would be suitable and how I would go about drilling the hole for the gas assist.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Perhaps a call to Weber to ascertain the availability and price of a replacement performer bowl is the first step.  Post a Want To Buy ad on our Sales and Trades section.  Performer bowls are correct and interchangeable across all performer models and you won’t have to drill a gigantic hole for the gas-assist. 

Hopefully either Weber or another WKC member will come through with a matching red bowl for you.

Just an after thought, have a list of all the part numbers you need when you call Weber.  They may give you a discount on multiple items. 

MapleLeaf.kettle

• Smokey Joe
Perhaps a call to Weber to ascertain the availability and price of a replacement performer bowl is the first step.  Post a Want To Buy ad on our Sales and Trades section.  Performer bowls are correct and interchangeable across all performer models and you won’t have to drill a gigantic hole for the gas-assist. 

Hopefully either Weber or another WKC member will come through with a matching red bowl for you.

Just an after thought, have a list of all the part numbers you need when you call Weber.  They may give you a discount on multiple items.

Wow, thanks for the information, I didn’t know about any of that, thank you for sending me in the right direction, I hope to see you in forums in the future!