Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Inflation Nation  (Read 605 times)

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
Inflation Nation
« on: May 01, 2022, 01:08:06 PM »
Just left Costco and I’m sorry but I’m not going to pay the crazy prices for beef. Yes, the 2.5” slab of ribeye cuts looked great BUT I’m not gonna drop $80 for three steaks.

Got me wondering, what is a grill fella going to do to feed the clan… economically. 

I’d like to devote this thread to idea generation for meals that are budget friendly and tasty protein based.

What’s you got up your sleeves?

Let’s see them here!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Grails- ‘63 Fleetwood, Ambassador

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
Re: Inflation Nation
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2022, 01:28:01 PM »
Ok then, I’ll start.  I bought the mechanically tenderized “tri-tip” for $7 and change per pound. Couldn’t really tell if it was a sirloin trimmed triangularly or the real deal.

Cooked her up to 135F and pulled off for a little rest. 

Flavor is good but I’m not sure it will pass the chew test for my 15 yr old.

If he complains I will encourage him to find a job and buy his own dam tenderloin.

All in, I’d buy it again. [emoji4]

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2022, 01:30:54 PM »
And the picture’s

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Inflation Nation
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2022, 01:40:46 PM »
We watch for sales….. Not sure where you are, but in the SE Publix runs sales on rib roasts for 6.99/lb at New Years and Easter.  We always buy a couple and cook one on the rotisserie and slice one up and vac seal individual steaks and freeze for later.  Just had one steak from New Years this week that I grilled, sliced and placed on chef salads for two.  We also buy the 4 packs of filet mignons at Costco and get the largest ones we can find so one steak is plenty for two.  Not the healthiest, but the Costco 1/4 lb beef franks are the only hot dogs we will eat.  They come in a pack of 15 I think.  We freeze them in vac packs of two and they last a long time, just have to buy a pack of buns when we want them.  Publix also has buy one get one free large fresh chicken breasts.  We buy two packs and freeze breasts individually.  If you don’t have a food saver, I highly recommend getting one.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 01:54:29 PM by bamakettles »

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2022, 02:09:17 PM »
Good call, I do not have a food saver. I do regularly buy family packs of breast etc. Cooking for four, I do typically go through the family pack in a few days but I love the thought of a Food Saver.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2022, 02:15:28 PM »
It was a game changer for us.  We buy most everything now in bulk and freeze portions.  Also great for portioning and freezing pulled pork after a cook.  My wife is Italian and loves to make lasagna and bulk sauce for later dinners.  We portion leftovers and save with the food saver/freezer.

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2022, 05:58:30 PM »
USDA Prime Brisket is $3.99/lb at Costco today. That is a good price!
2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Inflation Nation
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2022, 05:24:30 AM »
GFS is the same price for brisket. 

Another cost saving route is buying whole primals, strip loin, ribeye loin.   You usually save $3-5 per pound if you butcher it yourself.   Most of us carnivores probably have a FoodSaver. 

I’ve been trying more inexpensive cuts.   Chuck Eye steaks are good alternatives to ribeye.  Round steak is ok to marinate.   I’ll take a pork ribeye or T bone any day, especially when it’s $6 per pound vs.  $10-15/ pound. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 05:34:21 AM by michaelmilitello »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2022, 06:45:18 AM »
Not grilled but an affordable breakfast using a leftover white castle

And a cheese inside and outside tortilla

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2022, 08:06:59 AM »

Clever redux !
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2022, 11:01:39 AM »

Clever redux !

You made me learn a new word.

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2022, 11:37:35 AM »
I've shifted to buying whatever's on sale pretty much exclusively now and if I see any deeply discounted "enjoy tonight" type short dated food, I grab that if I can make cooking it work with my schedule.  There are a small number of things, back ribs come to mind immediately, that have disappeared from the menu because the prices have exploded.  What used to be $2.99/lb is now down to $7.99/lb after getting close to $10/lb for a while at one of the local stores.  When you consider what ribs are, those are some very expensive bones in among the meat.

ojay

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2022, 03:31:42 PM »
Here in Ontario I have found chicken to be the best value. I am not paying $32 for 2-3 beef steaks or a roast. 3 full chicken legs @ $11 dollars is still too much but a better option, and perfect for BBQ

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2022, 04:33:49 PM »
I recently tried a meat tenderizer for the first time and was pleasantly surprised with the results. 

It was a papain based tenderizer that I sprinkled on a family cut sirloin. I let it do it’s thing for about 6 hours, then grilled to medium rare. The family loved it. 

I’ll be using it again on tougher cut for sure. 

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
Inflation Nation
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2022, 06:42:21 AM »
Look for local sales. Plan ahead. I have an app called “flipp” you can put in local supermarket and see their ads, upcoming sales a day early. Go from there. Buy only what’s on sale. RN, my local frys haswhole fryer chicken .99 lbs. spare ribs, 1.77lbs. Not too bad. My local Costco was having their whole packers for under 4.00 per lbs,