Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smoked beef shoulder blade roast  (Read 172 times)

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
Smoked beef shoulder blade roast
« on: October 24, 2021, 03:06:05 PM »
I had the day off on Friday and the store had beef shoulders on sale and the weather was ok so I fired up the WSM and put some Montreal steak spice on the roast while the smoker was heating up.

Everything went fine until the second time I checked it, and there was nothing on the iGrill charts to suggest there was a problem, but I could hear the characteristic sizzling sound of hot ashes landing in water which should not be happening in the WSM unless charcoal managed to find a way to fall up into the water pan.

What I discovered when I lifted the lid was that the water pan had fallen onto the charcoal below and some of the water had spilled into the bottom of the smoker where hot ashes were landing in it.  Most of the water was still in the pan though and temperatures were fine so I left it as-found for the remainder of the cook until done instead of trying to get the pan off the hot fire.  The food was good though.  The roast didn’t suffer any for the mishap but I’m questioning how it happened. I’m going to have to see how well the water pan sits in its mounts and see if it’s out of round or something like that or if I maybe didn’t seat it right when I set it up at the start and it eventually fell in on its own.  I’m really not sure how it happened.

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
Re: Smoked beef shoulder blade roast
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 04:33:04 PM »
Well even for the unfortunate water pan snafu….that roast looks absolutely delicious. Great pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 06:28:56 AM »
Roast looks good @Lightning
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Veekz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 12:38:58 AM »
Great looking roast!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 05:36:19 AM »
Somehow I missed this post earlier..... looks really good.  I use an aftermarket SS pan for water/sand in my 22".  Not expensive and holds a lot more water or sand than original.  Bought my WSM used and there was no water pan, so this is what I tried and it works well....  https://meatprocessingproducts.com/thun-slmb009.html

This is for a 22" WSM - they might have one for an 18" too if that's what you have.