Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Questionable quality of my Chitty Chimney  (Read 854 times)

Chetter

• Happy Cooker
Questionable quality of my Chitty Chimney
« on: May 12, 2019, 07:27:11 PM »
Just thought I'd share a pic of my discount branded chimney. About 20 fires in since new last month. I'm going to get a Weber branded one now. I hope its quality is better. The cook wasnt lost though and the burgers made everything better.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

wgjones3

• Smokey Joe
Re: Questionable quality of my Chitty Chimney
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 08:14:55 PM »
Ouch. I had a generic chimney that rusted through in the first year, but I’m on year three with the Weber and it still looks good. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 12:14:44 AM »
I've had my weber chimney for a while now. This will probably be my 3rd year with it, and I've used it at least 20 times this year. Made a cedar handle for it too

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 08:31:02 AM »
@Chetter  I've bought generic ones years ago.  They never seemed to last.  It looks like you could drill out the rivets or remove whatever those things jutting out are and bolt it back on.

Where are you located?  If you are in the Chicago area, I'm fairly close to O'Hare & have a spare Weber one you can have, if you want to wait until sometime where you happen to be in the area. 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 09:18:14 AM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 09:12:03 AM »
Can't beat the Webers... they last.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 09:29:44 AM »
The heat killed the aluminum rivets.
Not unusual for "Chitty Chims" .

I have like 6 Weber chimneys.
The oldest is probably going on 10+ years,
I kid you not, though this may be it's last Summer.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 10:23:18 AM »
THAT one deserves a birthday cake, or something.
regards,
Hal

CurtP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 10:45:25 AM »
The salt air where I live kills them pretty quickly.  I bought a stainless steel chimney a few years ago.  I have to have stainless grates too.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 12:35:12 PM »

Chetter

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 11:21:17 AM »
@Chetter  I've bought generic ones years ago.  They never seemed to last.  It looks like you could drill out the rivets or remove whatever those things jutting out are and bolt it back on.

Where are you located?  If you are in the Chicago area, I'm fairly close to O'Hare & have a spare Weber one you can have, if you want to wait until sometime where you happen to be in the area.
Thanks Potsie. Im located in the Seattle area, a bit of a commute to you. Funny, I just read your Karma post and saw you had offered a chimney to someone who posted about bad chimneys. I thought that sounded like my post, lol. Thank you again for the offer. I do believe in karma and I'm happy to hear that an honest person gets taken care of by it.

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 11:26:09 AM »
@Jules V.  That's not even fair to show that thing!

You 2 can have one for the low low price of $199.95

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 11:35:33 AM »
You never know, if you do some traveling, you might have a layover at O'Hare in your near future when I might have enough time to run on over.

Thanks Potsie. Im located in the Seattle area, a bit of a commute to you. Funny, I just read your Karma post and saw you had offered a chimney to someone who posted about bad chimneys. I thought that sounded like my post, lol. Thank you again for the offer. I do believe in karma and I'm happy to hear that an honest person gets taken care of by it.

regards,
Hal

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 11:45:12 AM »

Where you at in Seattle?
I'm in Kent and if you need any parts, just let me know.