Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Is Porcelain Enamel damage common?  (Read 10962 times)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Is Porcelain Enamel damage common?
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 06:31:16 AM »

Colin ~~~>
"but I should think that at the moment, they would honour the warranty. For how long, who knows,"

Therein lies the pork rub.........

I do this a lot ( bank coals ), yet after these conversations I've begun to be more careful "how"....

I would suggest to anyone with a kettle that's an older one, being then not under warranty, to use your head, esp. when it comes to anything that might be considered a "higher heat"........

These things are built like a tank, esp. the older ones, but look at how many threads there are devoted to repair of all types......they're not indestructable.............. :o
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2013, 06:39:33 AM »

I do this a lot ( bank coals ), yet after these conversations I've begun to be more careful "how"....

I would suggest to anyone with a kettle that's an older one, being then not under warranty, to use your head, esp. when it comes to anything that might be considered a "higher heat"........

These things are built like a tank, esp. the older ones, but look at how many threads there are devoted to repair of all types......they're not indestructable.............. :o

I agree with you Buckie. My lime and Yellow will still be cooked on. No banking, using currently to roast corn and potatoes. Mid heat level @ 350. I have said before, it is the expansion and contraction rates from high heat to fast cool down. For some reason the weld joints for the grates must take on more heat also. Look at older kettles and you will almost always see porcelain pops.

colin.p

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2013, 06:45:33 AM »

Therein lies the pork rub.........

Point taken. I'm quite sure there will be lots more threads about this same subject. However, for now, I will use the kettle "gingerly" until I come up with an acceptable solution.
2009 Weber Spirit E310, 2013 22.5 OTG and a bunch of Weber stuff
I like my Weber's the same as my Ford's and Harley's, any colour, as long as it's black.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2013, 07:03:57 AM »

Yeah.....I'm really 'devil-may-care' & kinda rough on equipment.........sort of the"Samsonite Gorilla" for kettles.......
But, this place has caused me to think.....in a lot of good ways !!!!

PS: They won't let me play with the REALLY rare ones...... :P

Craig

• WKC Mod
Is Porcelain Enamel damage common?
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2013, 07:49:25 AM »
I do think that having years of buildup on the inside of the bowl or "gunk" acts as an extra shield to the outside when banking the coals. The porcelain should not crack or craze or chip from 1 cook or 2 cooks, now if that's all you do with that particular kettle, then I could see it happening over time.

DaGoomba

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 09:34:57 AM »
Thanks everyone for this discussion. Good information for some of us newer guys to Weber Kettles.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 10:09:42 AM »
I do think that having years of buildup on the inside of the bowl or "gunk" acts as an extra shield to the outside when banking the coals. The porcelain should not crack or craze or chip from 1 cook or 2 cooks, now if that's all you do with that particular kettle, then I could see it happening over time.

I could just be paranoid, but that comment may be aimed at me........

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2013, 10:33:26 AM »
I have a Black OTS, which I bought new in 2011.

I have thought about this very subject, as I bank the charcoal almost 95% of cooks. Usually the same side, too.
The outside of the bowl is fine. So far, the inside looks decent enough not to worry too much .... yet.  :o

I am working on fabricating some baskets with expanded metal. Will post soon.

And, yeah ... I have plenty of "gunk" build up. Extra flavor, eh?!!  ;) ;)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2013, 11:06:55 AM »
In cast iron skillets they refer to that as "seasoning"

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2013, 11:26:37 AM »
I am yet another person who was skeptical about this, but now I'm beginning to reconsider how I use my kettles. Maybe some charcoal baskets are in order.