Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Charcoal Safety - Myths and Tips  (Read 1986 times)

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
Charcoal Safety - Myths and Tips
« on: November 20, 2018, 08:52:19 AM »
This comes up from  time to time, and I thought a devoted thread would be good. Lots of ways you can do damage to your home (or feet) using charcoal. here's a starter list:

1. Think the coals are cold? Think again! I always snuff out the coals after a cook by closing the vents, and I usually wait until the next day to toss them out. A while back I had done a pork shoulder on my 18WSM Thursday night into Friday - finishing around mid day. Closed off the vents and let it sit. The next day (Saturday) around Noon, I dumped the coals in a wooded area away from the house, and fired it up again for something I was doing that day. No big deal. Later that evening, someone asked why smoke was coming from that area. Lo and behold a small fire had kindled itself to life - probably 30 or so hours after I snuffed them out. Today I use a 30 gallon steel garbage can for spent coals.

2. Bare feet or sandals + charcoal grilling are a bad combo. Sooner or later you will know why.

3. Keep your chimney off the ground if you can. Murphy's Law is in effect here. If you dump the coals onto the grate and set the chimney down on the ground, you WILL forget and step on it. When you do, there will be one last white hot ember that will jump out and land on your foot. See #2.
Retired

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Charcoal Safety - Myths and Tips
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 08:54:57 AM »
Guilty your Honor, I have served my time and will never again make those mistakes. I have been rehabilitated !!!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 09:04:35 AM »
Guilty as well.  To add to the list.

4. Never use your side burner or turkey fryer to light a chimney
unless you are on concrete or the ground.  Most will allow hot embers
to fall through to your prized wood or composite deck.

Didn't happen to me but I have seen the resulting damage first hand.

GrillGuyMosier

• WKC Ranger
    • My eBay Items
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 10:12:59 AM »
I'm guilty of #2.... But I will never grill with sandals on again.... Never ever. I'm sure I looked funny to anyone watching me jump around after that hot little piece landed right in between my toes and stuck there
Text @ 419-619-6379

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 10:22:50 AM »
Paid the price for #2 on the list.....more than once.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 10:50:23 AM »
Once done with the cook, I OPEN the vents 100% and allow the coals to completely ash out.  The next morning, I transfer the ash, by hand (messy but insurance for sure!) into a plastic grocery bag, and then in turn to a galvanized trash can. I discovered LONG ago that throttling down and trying to snuff coals like you mention, just doesn't work. Yes I have had a flare up in a trash can because I didn't let them burn down to ash...

Often I grill with sport sandals. Been doing so for decades with no issues.

Chimney goes on the ground, a good way away from the grill, people, or anything flamable.
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 12:10:15 PM »
Lit chimneys will also do a number on concrete.  Good idea to use bricks on top of the concrete. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 12:24:54 PM »
They do a number on plastic side tables too...
Retired

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 12:27:57 PM »
You aint kidding that coals dont always go out.  A couple years ago we had a block party in my neighborhood.  Next day I'm stumbling around my yard hungover trying to take stock of what needs to be cleaned, picked up etc.; and as I'm walking past my driveway I noticed that the neighbor across the street had their trash out at the curb and was fully engulfed in flames!  I'm talking 12 feet high and licking the power lines!  Took me a few seconds to really react, but I hollered over to my next door neighbor to grab a fire extinguisher as I go running for my garden hose....run across the street with the hose only to pull a three stooges move and find the hose is bout 4 feet to short to reach where I need to be!  Luckily the neighbor and I got it taken care of and eventually the neighbors who live at the house where the fire was happening came out and had no idea what was going on.  The lady who lives there says she tossed her entire charcoal bbq in the trash and just figured it had to no longer be lit since they cooked yesterday!
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

johnny 2 shack

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 01:47:54 PM »
also a victim of # 2 , once i stepped on a hot coal , it embedded in the sole , walked in the house and put a nice hole in my kitchen floor !

jiveturkey1

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2018, 08:03:31 PM »
Don’t grill in the garage even with the door open. Charcoal produces carbon monoxide the whole time it’s burning. Carbon monoxide is poison! ☠️☠️☠️

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

ste6168

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 04:18:11 AM »
I’ve got a cheap Smokey Joe that I use as my chimney holder and lighting spot. Works like a charm!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

nvandyke

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2018, 06:01:32 AM »
#2!  Never again!  Had a small piece of hot coal jump out and hit the top of my foot.  Worth the extra few seconds to slide on a pair of shoes!

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
Charcoal Safety - Myths and Tips
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2018, 08:09:56 AM »
To add to the list:

#5 - Careful when pouring the chimney of lit coal into the grill that you aren’t too close to the hot embers floating (flying) out of the bottom as you turn the chimney.  I had hot embers fly up and land on my Rx glasses and melt tiny holes into the plastic lenses.  Luckily they were still under warranty!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

au4stree

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2018, 01:28:51 PM »
With regards to #1.  In many areas, the top layer of soil is composed of mainly organic material (think combustible).  Having fought wildfires over half of my career, this is how many wildfires are started.  Folks don't realize how long one hot coal can smolder and ignite a fire, sometimes miles away from their origin.  Your recommendation is absolutely true.  The fire triangle is always in play:  Fuel, heat, Oxygen.  Remove one you have no fire. 

#6  Always handle coals in a chimney with gloves, particularly insulated welder type gloves.  I mention this one because I dumped a load of coals from my Weber chimney a few summers ago and burned my hand on the metal ring.  I had done this a gazillion times without gloves, but the right conditions were there and reminded me to always use my PPE.   
Piggs McGee BBQ
"We're kind of a big deal"