Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Power Outage Chicken  (Read 927 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Power Outage Chicken
« on: June 01, 2018, 05:51:55 PM »
Yesterday we had more rain, and the power went out for 3 hours.

But WHO CARES, am I right?  ;D

I had boneless, sliced-thin chicken breasts a day past their sell date, and them beotches were going to be cooked. Marinated in olive oil, red wine vinegar, some kinda “yeast seasoning” I found in the pantry (powdered vitamins??) and homemade pico de gallo.

I lit a chimney of used charcoal. Took a long while to light, then took awhile to actually make usable heat, so I moved my two baskets under the dutch oven and that worked for the remainder of the situation.

When that was soon done, the chicken was removed and I tossed in the remains of a bag of millet, also found in the pantry. Various water/oil added as needed. I still don’t know if it was completely cooked or how well, but it worked?

Later, frozen corn was installed along with butter and maybe S & P.

Not shown, but broccoli florets were later then added and steamed while everything was removed from the heat.

Meanwhile, my deprived children saw a utility truck, and then another, go down the street. One saw my kids hailing him, he stopped and was nice enough to say, “We’ll git yer power back on jus’ as soon as we’re able …”

What he didn’t realize was that they were yelling for “Netflix and YouTube to be restored.” (We had about 40 minutes of Internet available after the power went out, ‘cause dad always has the modem and router plugged into a UPS … )

A bucket truck and one or two pickups went into the yard and went to work.

Back into the DO goes the chicken.

Thankfully, I remembered to “save” as much of the “perishables” as time would allow. :)

And then the sky REALLY opened up.

The bucket came down. The nice men went in their trucks and waited.

The wind blew; everything on the porch near the edge got soaked.

I put the gloves on the hot grill lid to help dry them.

We ate by candle light, headlamp light, and by smartphone light. It was pretty good!

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Re: Power Outage Chicken
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 06:08:33 PM »
Great story and good looking food. Glad the power was only out for 3 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 06:10:43 PM »
I’m jealous. Our power never goes out for more than a couple minutes. I remember eating by candle light as a kid. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 06:49:30 PM »
Your porch is awesome! I wish I had one.. the views are great as well, no neighbors in site!! Haha

Oh yeah food looks tasty! [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 07:02:08 PM »
Why is your yard not filled with grills?  More grills, less grass to maintain.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 07:23:17 PM »
The yard around the back and sides of the house was opened up to the horses. Makes mowing it "interesting" (and mostly a worthless endeavor.) But yeah the big wrap around porch is my play area. There's also a porch swing, freezer, an unused freezer, some saddles, an old kitchen table the cats hang out on, dog cradles, supplies etc.

I aim to further pair down my cache of grills and such this summer. Or at least get them all functional. Got a handful, and that's too many for me. And for the porch.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 07:30:16 PM »
I missed horse meat.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 09:37:07 AM »
Looking good!

Brain_STL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 07:48:17 PM »
I love it! Grate story

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bluewhisper

• WKC Brave
    • Alex Šilbajoris
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 03:10:57 AM »
Power outages are one of the reasons why I have grills. They are one of three ways I can cook without electricity, along with a butane stove and a propane stove.