Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: BBQ rubs and marinade's  (Read 956 times)

belgium BBQ lover

• Smokey Joe
BBQ rubs and marinade's
« on: May 28, 2018, 11:30:09 AM »
Hi everyone ,

Iam a beginner BBQ enthousiast from belgium ( dont mind my spellings please ) .

I just bought a weber performer premium and gonna cook some ribs this thursday .

Can anyone help me with some REAL american style rubs recipes and maybe some recipe's for some BBQ glaze.

Apriciate in advance ! :)

Ps. Malcolm reed made me hungry for some BBQ.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
BBQ rubs and marinade's
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 12:55:24 PM »
Hot and Fast ribs in 2 hours ! Works for me.
Welcome from Hoogeveen The Netherlands ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

belgium BBQ lover

• Smokey Joe
Re: BBQ rubs and marinade's
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 01:09:10 PM »
Hot and Fast ribs in 2 hours ! Works for me.
Welcome from Hoogeveen The Netherlands ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Hi man ,

Thanks for the welcome and the reply ,

Looks delicious can you tell me how to make the rub ?

Greetings neighbour ;p

bigssa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 02:02:53 PM »
I would recommend the recipes from AmazingRibs.com. Make the recipe first and then tweak it to you liking.
https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 02:28:30 PM »
I like Jeff Phillips’ Smoking Meats newsletter. You can also toss a little money his way and get some quality rub recipe action.

https://www.smoking-meat.com/?awt_l=6uOaA&awt_m=JlAw2hKmZP9lWb
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 03:00:05 PM »
Why not start there with Malcom Reed?

Killer Hogs is great stuff. Oakridge, Kosmos, Slap Yo Daddy, Big Poppa Smokers, and Simply Marvelous are other that are excellent as well!

If you want to do Pork butt or even ribs..try the Chris Lilly “Big Bob Gibson’s” rub recipe. You don’t need to inject. This rub is excellent!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

belgium BBQ lover

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 03:21:53 PM »
I would recommend the recipes from AmazingRibs.com. Make the recipe first and then tweak it to you liking.
https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes
Hi there ,

Thanks for the reply !

Thats an amazing tip ! Appreciate it

belgium BBQ lover

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 03:25:59 PM »
Why not start there with Malcom Reed?

Killer Hogs is great stuff. Oakridge, Kosmos, Slap Yo Daddy, Big Poppa Smokers, and Simply Marvelous are other that are excellent as well!

If you want to do Pork butt or even ribs..try the Chris Lilly “Big Bob Gibson’s” rub recipe. You don’t need to inject. This rub is excellent!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Hey mike ,

Hes kinda my inspiration , his competition style ribs is where iam aiming for , the only problem is he wont ship his rubs and sauces to belgium and he doesnt realy say whats inside his rubs to make it myself ,

thats why i whas wondering if anyone could lend me some recipes that have that sweet style glaze and rub.

I appreciate the reply man thanks.

Also iam new to this so i need a jumping start.

belgium BBQ lover

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 03:28:14 PM »
I like Jeff Phillips’ Smoking Meats newsletter. You can also toss a little money his way and get some quality rub recipe action.

https://www.smoking-meat.com/?awt_l=6uOaA&awt_m=JlAw2hKmZP9lWb
Hi smoke addict ,

Thats an amazing website!

Thank you so much for replying .

This is definitly gonna help me this thursday!

Greets

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 10:01:44 AM »
If you're looking for a simple rub to get started with, I like Alton Brown's 8 3 1 + 1 as a good starting point. 

It's 8 parts sweet (like turbonado sugar, or brown sugar), 3 parts salt, 1 part heat (like chili powder or similar), and 1 part a blend of spices.  The parts could be any kind of measurement.  They could be 8 cups, or 8 teaspoons.  It's just about the ratio.  The blend of spices could be anything you want to. Here's a video from like the second season of Good Eats where he explains and makes this rub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ2nL7VGOFs

Hope that helps and gives you some food for thought.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 03:09:09 AM by Johnpv »

belgium BBQ lover

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 10:09:52 AM »
If you're looking for a simple rub to get started with, I like Alton Brown's 8 3 1 + 1 as a good starting point. 

It's 8 parts sweet (like turbonado sugar, or brown sugar), 2 parts salt, 1 part heat (like chili powder or similar), and 1 part a blend of spices.  The parts could be any kind of measurement.  They could be 8 cups, or 8 teaspoons.  It's just about the ratio.  The blend of spices could be anything you want to. Here's a video from like the second season of Good Eats where he explains and makes this rub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ2nL7VGOFs

Hope that helps and gives you some food for thought.
Wow my man ! Thats exactley what i needed just a simple recipe to make .

I can always adjust it later then !

Awesome!

Thank you so much !

au4stree

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2018, 10:20:55 AM »
The first recipe I learned 15 years ago and to this day still love cooking.  It's a Memphis style dry ribs (still moist and delicious, just served without sauce).

Take St. Louis style spare ribs, trim the silver skin, excess fat and chain off.  I like to get them from the market as close to 3 lbs as possible.  Use your preferred rub (reserve some for later), do this about an hour before your placing on the grill.  I cook mine, indirect at 250 F, for about 3-4 hours.  The bend test is the key.  I've done the bone test, but the bend is the tell.  After I take them off, dip in a vinegar bath (2:1 white vinegar to water).  Then lightly dust with reserved rub, cut and serve.

This method avoids the hassle of wrapping and what kind of braising liquid.  The bark on this method are amazing.  This is not to say the "3-2-1" or the multiple variants thereof are not good, I just prefer the Memphis style dry ribs.  Did I mention the bark on these are always amazing!  Someone mentioned Amazingribs memphis dust, start there or Malcolm Reeds' is good too.  I do know Amazing ribs Memphis dust provides the recipe, a quick google search should yield results.  Good luck and happy grilling!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 10:22:58 AM by au4stree »
Piggs McGee BBQ
"We're kind of a big deal"

belgium BBQ lover

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2018, 10:38:45 AM »
The first recipe I learned 15 years ago and to this day still love cooking.  It's a Memphis style dry ribs (still moist and delicious, just served without sauce).

Take St. Louis style spare ribs, trim the silver skin, excess fat and chain off.  I like to get them from the market as close to 3 lbs as possible.  Use your preferred rub (reserve some for later), do this about an hour before your placing on the grill.  I cook mine, indirect at 250 F, for about 3-4 hours.  The bend test is the key.  I've done the bone test, but the bend is the tell.  After I take them off, dip in a vinegar bath (2:1 white vinegar to water).  Then lightly dust with reserved rub, cut and serve.

This method avoids the hassle of wrapping and what kind of braising liquid.  The bark on this method are amazing.  This is not to say the "3-2-1" or the multiple variants thereof are not good, I just prefer the Memphis style dry ribs.  Did I mention the bark on these are always amazing!  Someone mentioned Amazingribs memphis dust, start there or Malcolm Reeds' is good too.  I do know Amazing ribs Memphis dust provides the recipe, a quick google search should yield results.  Good luck and happy grilling!
Wow this sounds really good! Deffinitley ( sorry for spelling ) gonna write all these things down !

That whas a well explained recipe man .

Thank you so much!