Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Potential Problems ...?  (Read 1102 times)

ECinEI

• Smokey Joe
Potential Problems ...?
« on: May 06, 2018, 09:27:52 AM »
What could go wrong with buying a NIB Genesis from 2000-2001 that has been stored indoors?  Giving this some thought.

Thanks

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Potential Problems ...?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 09:42:52 AM »
Only an inspection would tell you for sure. But pushing 20 years, still in the box? We've seen it with kettles sometimes.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

ECinEI

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 12:02:07 PM »
Only an inspection would tell you for sure. But pushing 20 years, still in the box?

Yeah, an inspection is not real feasible as it's 10 hours away.  It would be a "roll the dice" thing and see what happens.  I was looking for things to be aware for something like this that's been stored for years.  It's a Genesis silver C.  I've been looking for a used one without much luck.  It's the style with the thermometer on the right side of the hood.  I prefer the looks of the later ones with center mounted thermometers.  However this style has an open cart which I like.  I have a silver B now with the stainless cart which is the source of rust on the inner panels and floor piece.  I don't think I've seen a later model silver C with an open cart.  I think the hoods may be interchangeable.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 01:14:36 PM »
Ask for good pictures and specifically ask if it's ever been damaged/scraped/chipped anywhere etc. And ask if it's complete. Some sellers conveniently ignore such things, even if the grill is unused.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 01:22:26 PM »
Closed carts on Genny's started in 2005 as did the center mounted thermometer.

I'd anticipate having no problems what so ever with a NIB from 2000-2001.   Thinking about it more, it might have the old style regulator with the quick disconnect.  Simple and cheap to replace with a modern one though.