Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Reheating pork  (Read 934 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Reheating pork
« on: April 23, 2018, 03:48:32 PM »
I might be providing pulled pork for a graduation party coming up for my daughter and friends and family. It’s not finalized yet partially because I haven’t committed. I would need to make about 8 pork butts. The venue has a kitchen at our disposal.

I normally vac bag and reheat in water. It turns out great but I was experimenting with possibly easier methods. I did a test butt yesterday and reheated in a nesco with some apple juice tonight. This method would be similar to reheating via slow cooker or covered in an oven. I figured that would be easier for large quantity. I was disappointed in the results. It was ok but It was nothing like fresh or vac bag reheated in water.

I might pass on doing this if I’m not satisfied with what I’ll serve.

Any recommendations on cooking ahead a couple days and reheating?  I will not be freezing it.

Maybe it’s the perfect excuse to buy a 22 wsm. That and my 18 would go all night and I could pull them fresh the day of.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 03:51:40 PM by HoosierKettle »

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
Re: Reheating pork
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 04:02:13 PM »
I might be providing pulled pork for a graduation party coming up for my daughter and friends and family. It’s not finalized yet partially because I haven’t committed. I would need to make about 8 pork butts. The venue has a kitchen at our disposal.

I normally vac bag and reheat in water. It turns out great but I was experimenting with possibly easier methods. I did a test butt yesterday and reheated in a nesco with some apple juice tonight. This method would be similar to reheating via slow cooker or covered in an oven. I figured that would be easier for large quantity. I was disappointed in the results. It was ok but It was nothing like fresh or vac bag reheated in water.

I might pass on doing this if I’m not satisfied with what I’ll serve.

Any recommendations on cooking ahead a couple days and reheating?  I will not be freezing it.

Maybe it’s the perfect excuse to buy a 22 wsm. That and my 18 would go all night and I could pull them fresh the day of.

Always good results from the vac sealed and heating up in water . Leave it in big chunks or whole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 04:47:13 PM »
I have had good results with reheating in a turkey roaster...No complaints...And It'll hold a lot...Just gotta stir it up from time to time...

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 05:44:04 PM »
22!

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 07:16:39 AM »
I'm a believer in vac bag, freeze, and simmering water to reheat... do it all the time.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 10:11:07 AM »

I'm a believer in vac bag, freeze, and simmering water to reheat... do it all the time.

I am too. I follow your pork butt process completely at home. From cooking to saving the defatted juice to vac bag to reheat. It can’t be beat.

I will just have to plan on doing it in large quantity if I end up cooking for this event. Or timing it so they are fresh. One or the other.

I think I like reheated vac bag pork better than fresh. It’s great stuff. The flavor gets evenly distributed.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 10:48:41 AM »

I am too. I follow your pork butt process completely at home. From cooking to saving the defatted juice to vac bag to reheat. It can’t be beat.

I will just have to plan on doing it in large quantity if I end up cooking for this event. Or timing it so they are fresh. One or the other.

I think I like reheated vac bag pork better than fresh. It’s great stuff. The flavor gets evenly distributed.

Thanks for the kudos! Yes, the flavor does get evenly distributed this way. Plus, when you vac bag it, remember to use a rolling pin to flatten out the bags. Stores way better and heats more evenly on the reheat... just don't make the bags too big. I usually do 1 to 2 lb bags. Give it a go... 8)
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.