Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Dang it!  (Read 1405 times)

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
Dang it!
« on: April 12, 2018, 02:31:26 PM »
I previously spoke about wind knocking over my kettles when the wind caught the strapped covers. However, today is a new low! I was letting my chimney warm up so I could do some spatchcock on my Statesman, when you be wind picked up my lid while it was hanging on the side of the kettle and knocked it on the concrete!!! I got some brand new rim rash on the GOOD side of the lid!! I need a beer!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Dang it!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 03:21:12 PM »
If I ever make it to OH I'll grant you that brew but what's going on with those two chiks?

My first 26 "tipped over" when its lid caught the wind. Sucks.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 03:32:41 PM »
Ouch!
You need a slide aside, or a beater kettle with no lid to rest your lid on. The hooks on a lid are too short for a windy day.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 03:34:42 PM »
Ouch!
You need a slide aside, or a beater kettle with no lid to rest your lid on. The hooks on a lid are too short for a windy day.
+1 for the slide aside. Great investment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 03:38:58 PM »

but what's going on with those two chiks?
What two chicks? There’s only one there.

I have a small table that I usually sit the lid on but it was occupied. One day, I’ll be building a grilling station. I’ll try the slide aside but from my experience, I feel the lid is still in the way.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 06:04:13 PM »
I always hang my lid with it’s back to the wind so it blows over top of the lid and can’t pick it up from the underside.

Sucks but shit happen bro. Just more character and another story that grill can tell.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 06:13:35 PM »

I always hang my lid with it’s back to the wind so it blows over top of the lid and can’t pick it up from the underside.

Sucks but shit happen bro. Just more character and another story that grill can tell.

Lesson learned I suppose.  I had never even considered the lid blowing off was a possibility! But it was super windy today and the cupped side was facing the wind. I’ll never make that mistake again.

Al b que

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 06:31:11 PM »
Free found in the wild weathered Warrior MBH! No date code steel wheels with red walls can someone help me date this.

Sent from my VS988 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 12:42:16 AM »
@Al b que you should probably create a new topic/thread with your question.
Additionally, it is definitely worth your time to review the Age Guide link at the top of the page that basically helps you answer your own question.  The bonus is that you wind up with more knowledge the next time you see something.
regards,
Hal

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 02:14:55 AM »
My lids when removed are gracefully set on the ground. I don't trust the lid hook gig, and yes, when they're hanging there, they're in the way.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 03:39:00 AM »
My lids when removed are gracefully set on the ground. I don't trust the lid hook gig, and yes, when they're hanging there, they're in the way.
My trust in them has greatly diminished and I will definitely be more careful next time.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 03:43:31 AM by Schaefd2 »

Cellar2ful

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 07:01:41 AM »
Ouch!
+1 for the slide aside. Great investment

+1 also for the Slide Aside.  I purchased one and just use it on whatever vintage kettle I'm using.  Fits both 18" and 22". 

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/product-reviews/weber-slide-aside-32786/msg325817/#msg325817
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 03:24:10 PM »
Free found in the wild weathered Warrior MBH! No date code steel wheels with red walls can someone help me date this.

Sent from my VS988 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

lol