Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Too far gone?  (Read 714 times)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
Too far gone?
« on: April 10, 2018, 06:09:15 AM »
Snagged this recently nearby. Given free based on condition. Is she too far gone or is there a rehab possible? There is rust through at the grate strap mount locations on all sides. Would “patching with fender washers bolted together save it or she lost for eternity?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Too far gone?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 06:59:11 AM »
If they're large enough washers, why not? I'd be wondering how you drill through to the straps to secure them, without them snapping off while you drill. Then again, so what ... just drill those separately.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 03:05:50 AM »
No shame in my game! I’m gonna encourage you cut off the grate straps at their weakest points and use bolts for the charcoal grate holders.
Judging from the blowouts on the pics you posted I’m assuming the cook grate tabs are OK?

I’ll use fender washers or bolt backed electrical box conduit plugs.

RRR and Grill on!

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 03:08:17 AM »
That’s a great template swamp thanks!

Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP