Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Santa Maria Attachment  (Read 6060 times)

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Re: Santa Maria Attachment
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2018, 10:07:29 AM »

I just watched BBM's video using the WSM. We have lots of trees around, but I'm super tree-ignorant and wouldn't want to use just anything. I plan to buy one of those bags of "cooking chunks" (small pieces of random oak or whatever) and try this.

I really need to get my WSM some exercise, and I just don't do enough smokes in it lately. And more and more I'm liking the idea of direct cooks like this.

Probably I will use wood chunks as well but if this works well, i might drive down to Santa Maria and get a carload of red oak.

Pretty sure Safeway has boxes of red oak splits. You could also check Lazzari. Like I said though, almond is an excellent substitute.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2018, 10:29:46 AM »

I just watched BBM's video using the WSM. We have lots of trees around, but I'm super tree-ignorant and wouldn't want to use just anything. I plan to buy one of those bags of "cooking chunks" (small pieces of random oak or whatever) and try this.

I really need to get my WSM some exercise, and I just don't do enough smokes in it lately. And more and more I'm liking the idea of direct cooks like this.

Probably I will use wood chunks as well but if this works well, i might drive down to Santa Maria and get a carload of red oak.

Pretty sure Safeway has boxes of red oak splits. You could also check Lazzari. Like I said though, almond is an excellent substitute.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

LOL...  I was just reading labels (again) at Safeway this morning and a couple of oak varieties and other woods are listed but not red oak. Sounds like a crap shoot in terms of what you might actually get.

Quote directly from Lazzarri from email:

Me:
Is your Oak firewood “red oak” like from Santa Maria?

Lazzari:
The type of oak wood that we carry is called Blue Oak.  It is in the White Oak family (Lepidobalanus).

Sorry it is not red oak.

YouTube channels: GringoBBQ & RubiconFI

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2018, 12:17:18 PM »
@MDiBar , it can be moved with one hand, and I have not noticed any top heaviness that would make my grill want to tip, in as much as I really haven't worried about after it the first use. You'll love it.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2018, 12:28:50 PM »
@addicted-to-smoke , are you far enough east to have access to beech wood?  If so, that would be an alternative as I found out that oak is an "california" substitute for beech when doing Schwenkbraten. Beech wood is non-existent around me. I did bring 2 bags of Weber Beech chips home from Germany though..lol
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2018, 12:33:17 PM »
I've never seen beech wood in stores near me in central TN or when I was in Atlanta. I'll try any kind of oak at this point.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2018, 12:57:46 PM »
I've never seen beech wood in stores near me in central TN or when I was in Atlanta. I'll try any kind of oak at this point.

Cabinet grade oak is too expensive to buy just to burn up, but if you have any cabinet shops close by, if they make oak cabinets its usually red oak. See if they will give you the cut offs. I have a small wood shop in my garage and I use some of my scrap for my pizza cooks, get the temps right the hell up!!  good luck!