Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Santa Maria Attachment  (Read 6040 times)

dazzo

• WKC Performer
Re: Santa Maria Attachment
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 12:45:01 PM »
I have just a couple extra grills, so it sits on one, with a cover, waiting for the next tri tip

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Dude, relax your chicken.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2018, 01:06:08 PM »
It absolutely has everything to do with the "gadget"..  Try looking up santa maria flavor, aint there.  you don't santa maria style on a rotisserie.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2018, 01:20:07 PM »
I have just a couple extra grills,

LOL           

2000 posts with that one Rick BTW.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2018, 01:25:13 PM »
@RemoGaggi  I actually acquired a weber that was missing the lid, that is now my permanent Santa Maria kettle.

Untitled by Darin McMaster, on Flickr
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2018, 01:42:53 PM »
I use a Tripod over a fire pit. Exact same concept best I can tell. You can easily raise and lower the grate and it cost $20

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2018, 01:43:43 PM »
I need to get that out and use it more.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2018, 01:47:39 PM »
@HoosierKettle , now add a swivel in between grate and chain and you now have a Schwenker grill.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2018, 01:53:24 PM »

@HoosierKettle , now add a swivel in between grate and chain and you now have a Schwenker grill.

Ha, those are cool.

I will say a Santa Maria would be way more convenient to use than a tripod if I was going to utilize this style of cooking frequently. The crank and working height would be very nice.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2018, 01:59:00 PM »
@HoosierKettle , I took that picture at a grill shop in Idar-Oberstien while I was in Germany, if they would have broken down to a manageable size I would have brought one home... I was really eyeballin one like in the middle.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2018, 02:49:15 PM »

@varekai - Put some pedals, a chain and a wheel on the middle one and it could double as a Schwenker grill and exercise bike.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2018, 07:26:44 AM »
RIGHT, you could "work off" what your about to eat while grilling!!

@varekai - Put some pedals, a chain and a wheel on the middle one and it could double as a Schwenker grill and exercise bike.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2018, 07:50:08 PM »
The guy thats makes these lives here in paso robles as do I. I delivered dazzos to him and eventually bought me one.  I guess the "advantages" would be not having to reserve and haul your stuff to the park, still having a cool way to do some grilling AND best of all, still getting to do it on a Weber!!    (and the caliente stacker isn't true santa maria style)

With Santa Maria, it's about the flavor and not the grill. The red oak firewood is not even readily available outside of the central coast. Can't find it here in the Bay Area. Seasoning is salt and pepper only, maybe garlic.

I'll offer some thoughts.

I wouldn't get too caught up with red oak and just S&P or any notion of being "authentic."

For wood...Lump is a good substitute, but the better option would be to cook wood down to coals and cook over that. In the Central Valley, everyone...including many comp cooks and caterers use almond wood. It burns hot like oak and has a medium/neutral flavor contribution. Lots of almond trees popping up in Australia...so something for you guys "down under" to try. If you are in the south and can't find seasoned oak or almond, use pecan.

Most cooks I know who make tri tip in the Santa Maria style (including people on the Central Coast) incorporate garlic in some fashion or another. Some of the old Californio recipes even call for garlic (in the rub or baste), so something to keep in mind. That video you linked was pretty cool. He mentions Piquito beans. And as long as I can remember, I think I have had Piquito beans once. They are an heirloom variety that are around $20 lb. Most everyone uses either red beans or pinto as a substitute.

I think BBM's method of using the WSM is really interesting and something I want to try.

I think the Santa Maria attachments are pretty cool, but you can make a killer tri tip without one.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2018, 07:18:35 AM »
I just watched BBM's video using the WSM. We have lots of trees around, but I'm super tree-ignorant and wouldn't want to use just anything. I plan to buy one of those bags of "cooking chunks" (small pieces of random oak or whatever) and try this.

I really need to get my WSM some exercise, and I just don't do enough smokes in it lately. And more and more I'm liking the idea of direct cooks like this.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2018, 08:16:27 AM »
I just watched BBM's video using the WSM. We have lots of trees around, but I'm super tree-ignorant and wouldn't want to use just anything. I plan to buy one of those bags of "cooking chunks" (small pieces of random oak or whatever) and try this.

I really need to get my WSM some exercise, and I just don't do enough smokes in it lately. And more and more I'm liking the idea of direct cooks like this.

I saw that video too and am going to try a Santa Maria style cook on my Weber Smokey Performer as well.

Two things...

I wonder if using a GBS grate up top would allow easy access to two levels of cooking. I may try that when I do it.

Additionally, I have the the Weber 7647 stainless rack that I can use for a third level above the top rack.

Probably I will use wood chunks as well but if this works well, i might drive down to Santa Maria and get a carload of red oak.
YouTube channels: GringoBBQ & RubiconFI

MDiBar

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2018, 08:25:24 AM »
For those who own one of these attachments, can it be moved by one person and does it make the grill top heavy and unstable?  I have thought about buying one.  Thanks.