Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Got an SSP thats going to need some work  (Read 2290 times)

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
Got an SSP thats going to need some work
« on: November 13, 2017, 08:34:48 AM »
Picked up my first SSP last night for $50.  Guy tells me he used it once and realized hes "just not a charcoal guy".  Well he must've used it once years ago cuz this thing is pretty gross lol.  I purchased it in the dark and really didnt give it a good once over.  Nice dent with chipped porcelain in the lid.  Ash sweeps seem rusted shut.  Lid bale is there, but not attached and is missing some hardware.  No propane tank and the igniter button looks a bit melted.  But overall the frame and kettle are in good enough shape to put to use.  Charcoal bin is there.  Also got a chimney starter.....which I'm not sure why you'd buy if you owned this performer model but who I am to question?!

So the plan is to begin by cleaning out pounds of what I hope is not rat turds from the inside of the kettle and see what it'll take to free up the ash sweeps, etc.  For the bale I suppose I need the correct hardware (nuts I assume) to hold the bale on the inside of the lid.  There is no hook on the underside of the lid.  I suppose that could be correct seeing how this came with a lid bale.....but I'm not sure.  Was it supposed to have one?  Also the lid vent is way too loose to be functional right now.  Any tips to make that useful without having to drill out the old and replace with some new hardware somehow?  I've seen most kettles with a bale (bail?) have some sort of grommet for lack of a better term right near the outside of the kettle.  Guess I'll need to source those.  Then I need to sort out the propane portion and the igniter to get that functioning again.  Anybody have some photos of one complete so I can get a feel for what I might be missing?

Quick pictures I took in the dark when I got home.  Interesting that the lid and kettle seem to have bee stored in separate places as they have not faded at the same rate!

Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Re: Got an SSP thats going to need some work
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 08:38:27 AM »
That's got to be a replacement lid, no?  huge difference in coloration between that and the bowl.  For $50 it's not terrible and with some elbow grease alone you'll have a capable cooker.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Got an SSP thats going to need some work
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 08:46:10 AM »
Looks like you need a thermo and shroud.  Itemize what else you’re missing and I’ll see if I️ have extras.

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 08:50:33 AM »
Looks like you need a thermo and shroud.  Itemize what else you’re missing and I’ll see if I️ have extras.

The problem is that I dont know what all its supposed to have to begin with!

That's got to be a replacement lid, no?  huge difference in coloration between that and the bowl.  For $50 it's not terrible and with some elbow grease alone you'll have a capable cooker.

I'm guessing they stored it outside and had the lid hiding somewhere else!  Theres so much crud in the bowl that I guess is just an accumulation of organics that fell in there.  But I agree that the difference in color seems almost impossible for them to be a pair lol!  The lid does not have the hook and I see nothing to indicate it broke off.  Should it have the hook or did Weber not add that on grills that came with a bale?
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

qwesthunter

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 11:29:45 AM »
yours is missing the lid bale that goes around  outside of bowl. Also your lid is missing the thermometer that goes through the lid. The lid does not have the hanging hook inside like a normal kettle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qwesthunter

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 11:37:07 AM »
Based on the style of handle grip on the lid — this is an early SSP. Looks like it did have the thermometer at one time. Also the strap that is hanging down shows that it did have a lid bale at one time. That is very strange to have discoloring just on the bowl— you may be right that the lid was stored somewhere else but it looks like they are the original parts.

qwesthunter

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 11:39:51 AM »
Also looking closer at your 1st picture you can see a dust outline of the bale - laying on the stainless steel table top—did you get that when you picked it up?

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 11:56:28 AM »
yours is missing the lid bale that goes around  outside of bowl. Also your lid is missing the thermometer that goes through the lid. The lid does not have the hanging hook inside like a normal kettle.

Yeah I have the bale, but its missing the hardware and the rubber grommet/rollers.  Good to know its not supposed to have the hook.  At the very least that confirms my suspicion that while the lid and bowl look to maybe not be an original pair, the lid is at least off of a performer or something that came with a bale!

Based on the style of handle grip on the lid — this is an early SSP. Looks like it did have the thermometer at one time. Also the strap that is hanging down shows that it did have a lid bale at one time. That is very strange to have discoloring just on the bowl— you may be right that the lid was stored somewhere else but it looks like they are the original parts.

Also looking closer at your 1st picture you can see a dust outline of the bale - laying on the stainless steel table top—did you get that when you picked it up?

Good eye!  Yup the bale was sitting there on the table sans hardware but at least its there.  Took me a minute to realize what that strap was for but figured it had to be part of the bale system.  Oddly enough the strap seems to have been tightened down in that downward facing position....wonder if they ever had the bale on there properly! 

I didnt even realize these came with that thermometer in lid/handle.  But looking close at my photos (not with the grill in person currently), I see two holes (vertical) on the handle opposite the lid vent.  So the thermometer should definitely be there! There's also slight discoloration under the handle....roughly the shape of the thermo housing. 

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 12:06:28 PM »
... Also got a chimney starter.....which I'm not sure why you'd buy if you owned this performer model but who I am to question?!

It's a good question. A chimney is always faster, regardless of how the flame beneath it is generated. :)

When I first got my Performer I left the gas on until the coals were completely ready. Later, I decided to start a few minutes earlier and not waste the fuel, and my charcoal grate's health, as much. I let the gas run for about 5 minutes max, shut it off and let the chimney continue to light the coals with the natural convection/venturi effect.

Use the chimney.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 12:09:02 PM »
... Also got a chimney starter.....which I'm not sure why you'd buy if you owned this performer model but who I am to question?!

It's a good question. A chimney is always faster, regardless of how the flame beneath it is generated. :)

When I first got my Performer I left the gas on until the coals were completely ready. Later, I decided to start a few minutes earlier and not waste the fuel, and my charcoal grate's health, as much. I let the gas run for about 5 minutes max, shut it off and let the chimney continue to light the coals with the natural convection/venturi effect.

Use the chimney.

Fair enough.....but I seem to be acquiring chimneys almost as fast as grills!  Might be time to put together a package for a buddy who has shown interest in trying out a charcoal grill.  Gotta make room for the new acquisitions which means at least one of the old ones need to go! 

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 12:11:03 PM »
This pre-2000 schematic might help. For example, it's got part numbers for both the thermometer housing and the thermometer. And I know lid thermos always get a bad rap, but I like using them. They let you know at a glance if the machine is cold, hot or in-between. Use digital probes for when you need a true number.)

Replace the lid thermometer every so many years, like when it's very slow to rise and never registers more than like 200 LOL.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/help/schematics/browse.aspx?all=1&model=821001

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/thermometer-mounting-assembly-p-1477089.html

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-9815-Replacement-Thermometer-62538/dp/B00004U9VF
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 12:12:33 PM »
... Might be time to put together a package for a buddy who has shown interest in trying out a charcoal grill.  Gotta make room for the new acquisitions which means at least one of the old ones need to go!

That's exactly what I do. You get it!!

Some guys here never buy chimneys ... they just buy used grills and sooner or later, the chimney comes with it.  8)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 12:17:56 PM »
...  I've seen most kettles with a bale (bail?) have some sort of grommet for lack of a better term right near the outside of the kettle.  Guess I'll need to source those.  ...

I think there are 3 generations of thermoplastic lid bale rollers. The first ones are like ferrules, just rollers. Then came flanges like what qwesthunter shows in his pictures. For the last few years the protective flange has grown. Any of them will work.

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 12:19:39 PM »

This pre-2000 schematic might help. For example, it's got part numbers for both the thermometer housing and the thermometer. And I know lid thermos always get a bad rap, but I like using them. They let you know at a glance if the machine is cold, hot or in-between. Use digital probes for when you need a true number.)

Replace the lid thermometer every so many years, like when it's very slow to rise and never registers more than like 200 LOL.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/help/schematics/browse.aspx?all=1&model=821001

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/thermometer-mounting-assembly-p-1477089.html

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-9815-Replacement-Thermometer-62538/dp/B00004U9VF

... Might be time to put together a package for a buddy who has shown interest in trying out a charcoal grill.  Gotta make room for the new acquisitions which means at least one of the old ones need to go!

That's exactly what I do. You get it!!

Some guys here never buy chimneys ... they just buy used grills and sooner or later, the chimney comes with it.  8)

If only had I known!  After I stumbled upon my first kettle cheap on CL I saw a chimney at the store (non weber brand) and saw how useful it might be.  Destroyed that thing in less than a season and then found the Weber one which I immediately scooped up.  Few months later and I found the need for another kettle.....which came with a chimney.  A year or so later and I've got a deck full of weber gear and 3 chimneys!

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 12:24:35 PM »
...  I've seen most kettles with a bale (bail?) have some sort of grommet for lack of a better term right near the outside of the kettle.  Guess I'll need to source those.  ...

I think there are 3 generations of thermoplastic lid bale rollers. The first ones are like ferrules, just rollers. Then came flanges like what qwesthunter shows in his pictures. For the last few years the protective flange has grown. Any of them will work.

I dont see those specifically on the diagram.  Think thats part of #63049, "Hardware for lid support"?