Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Finally got a Red SSP  (Read 1701 times)

jaynik

• WKC Brave
Finally got a Red SSP
« on: November 05, 2017, 09:10:52 AM »
Been trying for a while to find a Red performer. Had a deal fall through on a nice red ssp about 18 months ago.  Then I found this one...

A little cover rash but the porcelain is otherwise in great shape. Need to fill the tank and try out the ignition.   Yay.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
Re: Finally got a Red SSP
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 09:15:15 AM »
Congrats. I got mine not too long ago and love it.
Frame looks good. Hit it with auto compound and wax.
You'll be amazed at the results.
Now it's time to get her clean and cook on it.
Happy Grilling

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 01:02:47 PM »

Quite the color change with some heat applied!   After getting the 5lb tank recertified, I was able to test out the gas ignition to confirm that it works!

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 01:11:04 PM »
Excellent score, I've always wanted an SSP. 

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 01:13:35 PM »
I didn't want one, because I thought the table would be a pain since you have to lift it.  I'll admit the access to the propane ignition is annoying, but I like it otherwise.  The stainless table is sharp.  And the red...

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 04:50:20 PM »
I greatly prefer the OPD knob of a 5lb tank to the plastic-covered valve of the newer Performers. What annoys me far more than having to lift a SSP's table top is having to scrunch down, flip up that cheap plastic door, hope I got it clicked in so that stays open, look for the knob, and pray that it doesn't just SPIN on the shaft ... the top panel layout of the SSP is my fav.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 12:00:16 AM »
The sexiest of all, a Red SSP.  Congrats!
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 07:21:46 AM »
Congrats Jay. Great looking grill!
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 03:28:38 PM »
If anyone here knows my obsession with Red grills, it's @Neil_VT00 .  I blow up his inbox all the time.  This one was just luck of the draw and right place, right time kind of thing.  The grill is in so much better condition than I expected.  The kicker is my wife said I should actually keep the Redhead I just recently picked up because it's near my birth year.  She appreciates the vintage.   :-)  I do think I need to get rid of a grill now though.  Maybe my Blue pizza kettle, but definitely not my Blue Performer...  or the 26...

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 03:43:21 PM »
Great looking SSP, love the red. Congrats!
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 12:19:28 PM »

I've never encountered such heavy soot.  This must have been a heavy smoking machine in its prime. The vent is coming clean but to get to this point it took a lot of scrubbing with steel wool. My forearm has a cramp.   Also, the soot on the kettle is really on there. Is there a chemical I should be using?

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 04:22:34 PM »
Razor blades.

bbqlvr

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 05:08:45 PM »
I can’t help regarding cleaning chemicals, but, I just had to post a congratulations on a sweet find.  I love these ssp!  Red color doesn’t hurt either ;)
BBQLVR
Ranch, 26’er, Summit Charcoal Grilling Centre, SSP’s, SJ’s, CGA’s
Horizon offset, stick burner

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 05:52:04 PM »
That will clean up just fine. Dawn dish soap, water, 4/0 steel wool  and razor blades. Just be careful with the angle of the blades so you don't damage the porcelain. And don't be afraid to use a lot of them. Fresh edges work best.👍
No chemicals required.

Congratulations on the Red SSP.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 07:09:02 PM by Kneab »
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Madpap

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 06:25:25 PM »
That's a really nice find. I've been looking for one but the nice ones don't last long.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app