Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Thank you indy82z !!!  (Read 2103 times)

Hawk68

• Smokey Joe
Thank you indy82z !!!
« on: July 06, 2017, 08:55:05 PM »
I have to give a big long overdue thanks to Tom @indy82z  I purchased my SSP about two years ago on Craigslist for $30. I was unstable from the start but still usable. In March, on the first mowing of the season, it collapsed on me when I hit it with my mower. My wife really wanted me to get rid of it.

I looked up on ereplacementparts and had a list of things I thought I needed. Luckily a few items were discontinued so I never ordered and started researching on the net and I was very lucky to find the WKC site. I put a post up about my situation and was given great advise from many members here.  Tom offered to help and we started to PM and he is only 15 minutes from me and I loaded it up on 6-24 and headed over. I met him and his VERY supportive wife and within about 30-45 minutes I had my performer standing upright again. Tom gave me a replacement frame as my tabs where rusted. He would not take any money in exchange. Every time I offered he would just say send me pics of my first cook. I tried to insist on paying him because I told him you can't do this for nothing. He explained, I am not doing it for nothing, my payment is seeing another old Weber being used.

Tom is very knowledgeable and one of the most helpful people that that you will ever meet. I cannot thank him and his wife enough for the help and hospitality they showed me and my son. He also made my wife VERY happy as she thought I should just scrap it.

Here is what we started with.....

And I ended up with this...

Here is my debt being paid. I told Tom I am not a good cook. This is just for me,my wife and son. What I used the grill for was ribs, brats, chicken legs and beans. Some pictures didn't come out and I started the ribs late and by the time I was done my 6 year old had discharged my phone. So there are no pics of the final product..

Jon

• WKC Ranger
Re: Thank you indy82z !!!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 10:18:01 PM »
Not a good cook? Looks like it was all pointed in the right direction. Congratulations on the restore. The SSP looks brilliant.

And thumbs up to @indy82z. He is one of the good guys.

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 12:25:29 AM »
Beautiful machine! Those stainless Performers are really nice. They look sturdier than the later generations. Oh and a red fade kettle. Awesome ! May never see any more of those ever produced. Maybe Weber should have put in a few more stainless parts. It's like the welded lid handles rusting out. If you know where to apply some sealant you might be able to prevent some of the failures. I wouldn't have scrapped it either. At minimum I would have ordered a leg set and made a standard kettle with that red fade bowl and lid.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 03:20:36 AM »
Great teamwork @indy82z and @Hawk68 Good to see this in Ohio! Love the red SSP as well.
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 05:37:57 AM »
Another awesome example of the WKC being the best place on the internet!

I'm not sure about your "I am not a good cook" comment either. Looks like a fantastic meal to me.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 06:20:34 AM »
@indy82z is a great guy. He gave me a spare grate to add to the SSP for sale. I bought something cool from him today and he basically threw in 2 new 18" hinged grates for me also. Tom is a wonderful grillfella. 2 Red Ks in one day. Happy Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 07:18:27 AM »
What a great story, its so nice every time I come on here, I read about people helping one another.  The people on here are the most generous people I have come across.   

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 01:54:49 PM »
Thanks for the nice comments. Larry's @Hawk68 SSP was a little rough, but we just replaced the top and reused all of his old parts. We added some bolts and star washers and it was good as new. Ya, the comment about not being a good cook is way off base..food looks delicious!!

No worries kettlebb..glad to help out. Enjoy that K code! Didn't realize you found another..congrats...you are definitely getting a thing for the Red's..

Hawk68

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 02:29:26 PM »
Not a good cook? Looks like it was all pointed in the right direction. Congratulations on the restore. The SSP looks brilliant.

And thumbs up to @indy82z. He is one of the good guys.
@Jon thank you for the compliment, it is a nice grill, especially for $30. And I agree, Tom is one of the best!!  I am not a good cook, I just follow directions well, I used a couple of Malcom Reed's recipes, the beans are real good and easy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQsn5kcdmPI

Hawk68

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 02:30:15 PM »
Great teamwork @indy82z and @Hawk68 Good to see this in Ohio! Love the red SSP as well.
@mhiszem  Thanks!!

Hawk68

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 02:31:24 PM »
Another awesome example of the WKC being the best place on the internet!

I'm not sure about your "I am not a good cook" comment either. Looks like a fantastic meal to me.

@Neil_VT00  you are right, this is one of the best places on the internet, everyone is so helpful.

Hawk68

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 02:33:52 PM »
@indy82z is a great guy. . Tom is a wonderful grillfella. 2 Red Ks in one day. Happy Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@kettlebb  couldn't have said it better myself, Tome is a good guy... Congrats on your two reds!!

Hawk68

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 02:35:16 PM »
What a great story, its so nice every time I come on here, I read about people helping one another.  The people on here are the most generous people I have come across.
@Josh G  I agree, everyone is very helpful. Even within my thread someone with the same issues I had was offered free parts to help them fix it.

Hawk68

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2017, 02:38:12 PM »
Thanks for the nice comments. Larry's @Hawk68 SSP was a little rough, but we just replaced the top and reused all of his old parts. We added some bolts and star washers and it was good as new. Ya, the comment about not being a good cook is way off base..food looks delicious!!

No worries kettlebb..glad to help out. Enjoy that K code! Didn't realize you found another..congrats...you are definitely getting a thing for the Red's..

@indy82z  Again thanks!! I could not have done this without your help and knowledge. I need to practice on ribs more, that was actually the 2nd time I did them on a grill. First time as a disaster. This time I tried to follow Malcom Reeds rib recipe along with the beans.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CevV-HkDbBM

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2017, 01:56:09 PM »
Beautiful machine! ... At minimum I would have ordered a leg set and made a standard kettle with that red fade bowl and lid.

That got me thinking... I wonder if anybody has ever taken a performer kettle out of the cart, installed a leg kit & then used the bowl's mounting brackets to attach side tables (kinda like the OTP). That could turn out to be a VERY interesting cooker.