Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Red to the rescue  (Read 1150 times)

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
Red to the rescue
« on: April 21, 2017, 05:25:36 PM »
This is what happens when a month's worth of rain falls onto already wet ground over about 20 hours or so:

The ground's saturated and a lot of the rain from yesterday/last night ponded on top of my back lawn stranding the barbecue back there.  I don't have a pair of rubber boots so using that without getting soaked wasn't possible.

However, the red performer was within reach on solid, if somewhat mushy, ground so I wheeled it back onto the driveway by the back door and got some food ready:

Royal Oak lump charcoal lighting up:

Chicken spinning:

And a shot with the lid on just to show the colour:

I have some yellow potatoes roasting in the oven. I can't wait for everything to be ready. There's nothing like some comfort food after a rough week at work.  I'll post finished pictures when it's all done.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Red to the rescue
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 05:40:21 PM »

Love this pic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 07:04:55 PM »
She's a great cooker!  Beauty!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Cellar2ful

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 07:29:07 PM »

@Lightning- I sometimes cook Yukon Gold potatoes right in the drip pan below the rotisserie chicken.  The drippings from the chicken add a nice flavor to the potatoes.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 07:32:06 PM »
When I mash potatoes I boil them in 50/50 water and chicken stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 08:35:46 PM »
Damn! That grill is gorgeous,

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 03:51:43 AM »

Damn! That grill is gorgeous,
Yeah, if I had a red ssp, that'd be my go to

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 03:59:46 AM »
Looks like a great set up!!

I have a dedicated rain day garage kettle.

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 08:47:12 AM »
Thanks guys.  Here are the end results:

@Cellar2ful I sometimes put potatoes or vegetables in the pan under the rotisserie but this time I wanted lots of leftovers so I made a huge batch in the oven.

@HoosierKettle That's a nice setup for crappy weather. I don't have a garage otherwise I'd do something similar.  If it's raining or snowing heavily, I'm screwed. Eventually I'm going to put a patio in the back yard which is going to include an area with a grill gazebo large enough to fit a performer and the WSM but that's a few years down the line from now.

@Darko that red performer is a nice looking grill even though red in general is kind of lost for me.  The black one has been my main grill since I got it so last night was actually the first time I've fired up the red one and it performed like a champ.  I do need to replace a whole bunch of ignition parts on the black one though. Everything is in place and working on the red which is nice.  I hope the rain didn't cause any problems for you. A bunch of people I know have had varying amounts of water in their basements. Mine stayed dry and the only water problems I've had are the ponding in the back yard because the ground is beyond saturated. Fortunately, the low points where the ponds formed are well away from the house so at least the water isn't trying to drain through the foundation.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 07:17:04 PM »
I was good. Had no issues with water. 

Every time I look at that SSP, I think damn, it could have been mine.  But, I've always been glad that you got it. It's a beautiful grill