Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Taco Handle  (Read 5937 times)

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
Taco Handle
« on: March 31, 2017, 05:44:23 AM »
Not sure what the gripe is about the taco handle. I find it very useful when I have a screaming hot kettle, the handle stays cool. IMHO, I think it's a grate idea. Just sayin'...
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Taco Handle
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 05:59:11 AM »
Pure speculation but I bet the taco bolt on handle change had more to do with packaging and shipping savings than it did with function.  For me, I just prefer the classic kettle look over the new handle. Plus, I don't have any problem using a towel or hot pad once in awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 06:33:17 AM »
Pure speculation but I bet the taco bolt on handle change had more to do with packaging and shipping savings than it did with function. For me, I just prefer the classic kettle look over the new handle. Plus, I don't have any problem using a towel or hot pad once in awhile.
I dunno about that. Butt that heat shield works wonders, a grate improvement in design IMHO. And it helps save the zav wood handles during a Vortex cook.  8)
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Taco Handle
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 06:40:07 AM »
I don't think my hands are extraordinarily tough, but the only time my handle is too hot to touch is when I do a 700 degree pizza cook. Baskets in the middle do not get it too hot to handle. Maybe vortex is hotter, not sure.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 06:44:14 AM »
In fact, I find the plastic piece on the top damper is more useful to keep from burning yourself than the taco and they don't put that on the original kettle today.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 06:46:54 AM »
On my original CopperTop (welded handle), using the Vortex, I could not pick the lid up without a glove. On my new CopperTop with the taco, no issues. Anywho, I think it is a grate idea.

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 06:58:59 AM »
Weber is a business and when they change things there's a reason.  They would not change the handle to please the consumer.   It is to protect them from getting sued by some moron who burned his hand and reduce claims on damaged and rusted handles. 

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 07:15:20 AM »
Weber is a business and when they change things there's a reason.  They would not change the handle to please the consumer.   It is to protect them from getting sued by some moron who burned his hand and reduce claims on damaged and rusted handles.
There is summa dat I'm sure. Butt along with all the shit that happens, design improvements happen. There's a reason for everything. I just love the idea of the taco heat shield, and don't care why it happened. I'm just glad it did. It works. Butt they need to replace the cheap assed tin nuts with REAL nuts and washers tho... they loosen up.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Taco Handle
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 07:23:36 AM »
They could have done the heat shield on a welded handle right? Probably along the lines of easier to ship and replace the handle rather than a lid. Cheaper too. They are just ugly and I can't stand the way they look. Some here have done a mod to change the shape and it looks tolerable that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 07:26:01 AM »
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

UserGone

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 07:44:57 AM »
 Those that don't like it refer to it as a "Taco Handle".

I like to call it a " Firefighting Heat Shield" like when slaying Fire Breathing Dragons. You don't need bulky gloves to  loose your grip when battling and it keeps your fingers from the direct 3rd degree flash burns. lol

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 08:31:31 AM »
So basically, I guess it's the looks of it that folks don't like... not so much to do with functionality? Hmmmm. Interesting. This thread was just a curiosity why people are apposed to it. Personally, I like its function and don't mind the look of it. Butt hay, Mongo just a pawn in game of life...  :)

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 08:34:48 AM »
I'm outrageous and cutting-edge innovative. I wear a glove.  ;D

The taco handle is ugly, gross, a crime against humanity, and antithetical to the natural beauty of the Weber kettle grill.

My guess is the main motivation was to reduce costs associated w/ shipping and warranty lid replacement due to handle weld rust.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 08:36:31 AM by charred »
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 08:51:24 AM »
The taco may function well for deflecting heat but it looks cheap...I can remove it...the main problem is how the handle attaches to the lid. Even if you tighten it correctly it still gets loose, a weld would after 50 years maybe but the new version could be 5 days or 5 weeks. Either way as soon as it does and the lid is lifted and twisted you risk a porcelain pop. Having to retrofit some sort of patchwork fix to simulate a welded handle leaves you with something that does not match up look-wise. Just buy old....it's easy.

I don't care about Weber's costs or what is easy for them. I want a properly functioning piece of machinery and will pay what it takes. If that means charging me an extra 20 or 40 bucks so be it. I do not want something that looks and acts cheap. Not in a bbq, not in a woman.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 08:54:02 AM »
I'm outrageous and cutting-edge innovative. I wear a glove.  ;D

The taco handle is ugly, gross, a crime against humanity, and antithetical to the natural beauty of the Weber kettle grill.

My guess is the main motivation was to reduce costs associated w/ shipping and warranty lid replacement due to handle weld rust.
:) It ain't the purtyest pitcher in the frame, butt functions well. And yeah, maybe some handle weld rust issues brought out the bolts and nutz. I'm okay with a bolted on handle...