Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Limited Edition Red 22 Kettle: News, Views & Reviews  (Read 155096 times)

Jeff

• WKC Performer
Re: Limited Edition Red 22 Kettle: News, Views & Reviews
« Reply #855 on: November 18, 2017, 04:52:38 AM »
I've clearly seen some photos of bare metal with no black porcelain under them. Like under the grate straps and under the leg sockets.  I think one of our members was told that based on the photo's they supplied, that that was acceptable.  I feel bad for them.  In this instance, I don't think that particular CS rep realized exactly what they were looking at in the photo...bare black, yet un-rusted steel.  They need to try CS again and escalate the matter
Kettle collector AND cooker!

TheFinkFarm

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel.
« Reply #856 on: November 18, 2017, 05:25:09 AM »
http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/image/ffL

Got a new red head yesterday, Ordered off Amazon, came USPS, no issues with anything.  Packaging held up great.  The corners of the boxes are reinforced now.  I had a copper bought from Lowes and had to take 2 back to get the 3rd that was not bent from improper handling.  The handles were bent on the first 2 and the boxes looked badly beaten.  I think the new corner reinforcements have helped.  And if the USPS can transport without damage, its got to be good.

I can't remember how to post pics but this is a try.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 05:30:12 AM by TheFinkFarm »
22.5" Blue OTG, Black SJ, Lime Green SJ X 2, Brick Red Performer, Outlaw Red 22" daisy wheel, Ivory MT, LE Red MT, Spring Green MT, Slate MT, Smoke MT.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheFinkFarm

TheFinkFarm

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel.
« Reply #857 on: November 18, 2017, 05:36:22 AM »

If you look closely on the handle you can see I got serial number 1 of this special limited edition run.
22.5" Blue OTG, Black SJ, Lime Green SJ X 2, Brick Red Performer, Outlaw Red 22" daisy wheel, Ivory MT, LE Red MT, Spring Green MT, Slate MT, Smoke MT.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheFinkFarm

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
« Reply #858 on: November 18, 2017, 05:52:19 AM »

If you look closely on the handle you can see I got serial number 1 of this special limited edition run.
Lol @TheFinkFarm has a collection of redheads

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #859 on: November 18, 2017, 06:08:44 AM »
He said if that is the answer you get regarding bare metal to ask to speak to the CSR Manager (it is a defect).

I've clearly seen some photos of bare metal with no black porcelain under them. Like under the grate straps and under the leg sockets.  I think one of our members was told that based on the photo's they supplied, that that was acceptable.  I feel bad for them.  In this instance, I don't think that particular CS rep realized exactly what they were looking at in the photo...bare black, yet un-rusted steel.  They need to try CS again and escalate the matter

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #860 on: November 18, 2017, 07:09:51 AM »
I think some people are getting all worked up about the inside of the leg socket not being covered in Red, I think that is overblown and social media is not helping that.  I have seen two and both have black on the inside of the leg sockets, that is completely different than bare metal.

If I see black, I know it has a coat of porcelain and I am not concerned.  Overspray and imperfections in a porcelain protected kettle I don't care one bit.

I think the overall look of the grill is stunning, I love the black accents on the red it really gives it some great character.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

mdb240

• WKC Brave
« Reply #861 on: November 18, 2017, 08:04:27 AM »
I think some people are getting all worked up about the inside of the leg socket not being covered in Red, I think that is overblown and social media is not helping that.  I have seen two and both have black on the inside of the leg sockets, that is completely different than bare metal.

If I see black, I know it has a coat of porcelain and I am not concerned.  Overspray and imperfections in a porcelain protected kettle I don't care one bit.

I think the overall look of the grill is stunning, I love the black accents on the red it really gives it some great character.

I guarantee you this is bare metal, no black to be found on any of the 3 sockets. They said they would send me a new bowl once I registered it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #862 on: November 18, 2017, 09:02:11 AM »
I pulled the leg kit off of my replacement kettle yesterday and it appears black inside the sockets as opposed to the silver raw/bare metal.

HOLY GRAILS: 1950s era Black or Custom finish 18.5 or 22.5 Kettle, Brown Go Anywhere grill.

[attachment deleted by admin]

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #863 on: November 18, 2017, 09:37:17 AM »

Grounded off areas under the grate straps. I suspect they forgot to tack weld straps before porcelain spray process and grounded off the whole strap contact area and tack welded after.  As for inside the leg sockets are bare metal too.

My lid is fine and the bowl is better than some of the ones I have seen so far. But still rust and bare metal should not be.

I have just contacted the Weber CS and sent many supporting pics as requested.  We shall see what happens.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 09:52:16 AM by greenweb »

SixZeroFour

« Reply #864 on: November 18, 2017, 10:10:26 AM »
Pretty clear to me that is bare metal... Also watch the Baby Back Maniac follow up review where they show the inside grate straps. You can already see rust forming in the strap joint and the same poor spray job where under the strap tabs are bare.

We cant just give them a pass because we love Weber grills. This is not acceptable:

W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #865 on: November 18, 2017, 11:03:34 AM »
Pretty clear to me that is bare metal... Also watch the Baby Back Maniac follow up review where they show the inside grate straps. You can already see rust forming in the strap joint and the same poor spray job where under the strap tabs are bare.

We cant just give them a pass because we love Weber grills. This is not acceptable:

+1

I am still waiting to hear back but wondering what kind of recourse we have if the CS Manager says this is acceptable.

My lid is ok.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #866 on: November 18, 2017, 11:14:13 AM »
^ looks great Greenweb! Do you use a little gasket or similar between the lid strap and lid to prevent chips?
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #867 on: November 18, 2017, 11:54:57 AM »
I am still waiting to hear back but wondering what kind of recourse we have if the CS Manager says this is acceptable.

You return it to the retailer, just as with anything else?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #868 on: November 18, 2017, 12:12:46 PM »
I pulled the leg kit off of my replacement kettle yesterday and it appears black inside the sockets as opposed to the silver raw/bare metal.

HOLY GRAILS: 1950s era Black or Custom finish 18.5 or 22.5 Kettle, Brown Go Anywhere grill.

Those look like mine.  No bare metal, but still black on the inside and on the bowl beneath the sockets.  My one complaint is that the legs were a big PIA to get into the clipped sockets. 

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #869 on: November 18, 2017, 12:26:41 PM »
I will say that I do prefer the new push button clips over the friction sockets, seems easier to install and uninstall without wearing out the legs as much. Of course, thumbscrews (old style) is my favorite leg/socket combo. (Pre 1969)