Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Limited Edition Red 22 Kettle: News, Views & Reviews  (Read 155100 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Limited Edition Red 22 Kettle: News, Views & Reviews
« Reply #840 on: November 17, 2017, 06:36:55 PM »
Hoss I described what was said in the video. By WEBER. I didn't make it up. I'll find the link if you need to verify that.

The company does not even see a problem...in fact the only problem they see are those that do not want 200 dollar grills that are Red.

I think Weber probably sees the collectors as a pain in the ass.....unless they are the type that have their heads up Momma Weber's ass.

You're frothing here. Is that really necessary?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #841 on: November 17, 2017, 06:46:49 PM »
... This was clearly due to poor packaging. ...

I have doubts about that, because the box and packaging is no different from any other 22, right? What IS different is the journey to Weber's distribution center.

The damaged ones are either being mishandled prior to going into the box, or the box is getting bounced around afterwards. I vote for the latter, because how would a paint chip wind up being included in the box if the metal was hurt prior to getting placed in the box? Also, if you damage the metal prior to putting it into the box, you'd have to be a Class-A cretin not to care about it.

Obviously, none of that has anything to do with the missing and misapplied paint issues. Weber's being hit with two unrelated issues here, I suspect. Their somewhat Byzantine efforts to identify purchase locations and so on are likely an effort to determine where exactly the problems are occurring. They can't prevent them if they don't know where they are occurring.

In one of the older Weber videos from a few years ago, they mention that if anything's amiss during a spot check, the entire related run gets opened up and inspected. That clearly hasn't been happening with this model.

Yes, it happened after the grill was boxed.  My point is that there is nothing between the outside layer of the box itself and the rim of the bowl.  Any type of moderate to severe impact on the top edge of the box, against the rim is most likely going to cause damage.  That's what happened as evidenced by the paint chips on the bottom of the box.  I suggested to Weber to bolster the sidewall inside the box...or put a foam pipe type of insulation around the entire rim.

I've got 2 boxes here, one for a NOS/never-used Dark Blue and another for a Copper. The grills range from a couple years to around 8 yrs old. Neither has any more protection for the lid rim than the images you shared for this new red.

That's why I claimed the boxes for modern 22's are all the same, and suspect shipping, and not packaging, has been a problem with these reds.

Perhaps it's semantics since packaging, and resistance to abuse during shipping are directly related. But we aren't hearing about non-reds being defective out of the box, are we?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #842 on: November 17, 2017, 06:56:31 PM »
That's a question that only Weber themselves can accurately answer for us.  With such anticipation and exposure of this new grill...everything is going to be magnified naturally.  My point is that there can be improvements to the current packaging to the new red or any other color 22" kettle.   
I applaud Weber for listening to our voices though and finally trying to give us what we've been asking for though.  Hopefully this discussion will bring about positive changes and some corrections to the overall processes and attention to details.   
Kettle collector AND cooker!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #843 on: November 17, 2017, 06:56:59 PM »
Most consumers won’t care about these minor defects.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #844 on: November 17, 2017, 07:12:22 PM »
Agreed, Jeff, totally.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #845 on: November 17, 2017, 07:13:56 PM »
Most consumers won’t care about these minor defects.

Not so sure about that one Lawrence. Depends on the defect. If I knew nothing about Kettles and bought the new red and found missing “paint” on the lid I’d care about it for $200.

I believe most wont notice the bare metal leg sockets or care until they rust through the bowl in about 2-3 years. Will Weber still have reds to warranty these for 10 years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #846 on: November 17, 2017, 07:17:15 PM »
Hoss I described what was said in the video. By WEBER. I didn't make it up. I'll find the link if you need to verify that.

The company does not even see a problem...in fact the only problem they see are those that do not want 200 dollar grills that are Red.

I think Weber probably sees the collectors as a pain in the ass.....unless they are the type that have their heads up Momma Weber's ass.

You're frothing here. Is that really necessary?

No no..I saw that video and remember it. I am not frothing I am speaking reality. Necessary? I placed a lot of faith in that company and so did a lot of other folks. They can do better but went South. To say otherwise is just shining it over.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #847 on: November 17, 2017, 08:20:38 PM »
Those who have a new Red, is your lid vent tight?, I mean REALLY tight?  I am sure mine will loosen over time but right now it is very hard to manipulate.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #848 on: November 17, 2017, 08:31:17 PM »
Those who have a new Red, is your lid vent tight?, I mean REALLY tight?  I am sure mine will loosen over time but right now it is very hard to manipulate.

Tight... not taking a chance to get it off the lid.
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #849 on: November 17, 2017, 08:46:10 PM »

Not an issue with mine.  I feel very lucky for getting the one I did.  The only imperfections I found were a few VERY minor bubbles on the cover and a couple of runs inside the kettle.  I don't consider these a quality issue, and are barely noticeable, unless you were looking for them. They make my kettle unique.  I feel really bad for those of you getting the bad ones, and hope you get satisfaction out of Weber.  I woke up today fully expecting to be in your unfortunate ranks.

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #850 on: November 18, 2017, 03:56:38 AM »
Weber packaging has not changed in at least 49 years. Here is a 1968 kettle with original box and all packaging material. Not much protection for the lip of the lid.

That's a question that only Weber themselves can accurately answer for us.  With such anticipation and exposure of this new grill...everything is going to be magnified naturally.  My point is that there can be improvements to the current packaging to the new red or any other color 22" kettle.   
I applaud Weber for listening to our voices though and finally trying to give us what we've been asking for though.  Hopefully this discussion will bring about positive changes and some corrections to the overall processes and attention to details.   

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #851 on: November 18, 2017, 03:58:43 AM »
My top vent is tight but it’s not really tight.  I guess the best way to say it is that I wouldn’t have thought anything of it if I hadn’t read comments here to check for it.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #852 on: November 18, 2017, 04:06:49 AM »
Weber packaging has not changed in at least 49 years. Here is a 1968 kettle with original box and all packaging material. Not much protection for the lip of the lid.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

That's a nice photo for reference.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 04:12:58 AM by Jeff »
Kettle collector AND cooker!

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #853 on: November 18, 2017, 04:13:05 AM »
Oh, I didn't realize it was flat.  Thanks for that info . Interesting.  I still had the guy put foam piping around the lip of the lid of this one. I don't like the packaging on either.

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #854 on: November 18, 2017, 04:46:38 AM »
@Jeff  FYI, I talked with our friendly Weber Rep yesterday. He said, bare metal is a defect and it is replaceable.  However, red porcelain not covering black porcelain in spots (sockets, handles, underside, etc.) is not considered a defect.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 04:52:10 AM by harris92 »