Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Colored performer vs a colored stand along kettle for a dedicated kettle Pizza  (Read 3154 times)

greenweb

• WKC Performer
Some of you use Kettle Pizza or other Pizza attachment in a Performer and some in a stand along kettle.  I am well aware of all of potential damage from high heat on both. So no need to get into that.  For kettle Pizza owners.... which kettle do you use and how is it working out so far.

This is the first time with the kettle Pizza so I am not sure one type to use. Once decided, I still have to choose which color. I have a choice of 2 each type I can dedicate kettle pizza to wreak havoc on with high heat cooks.  ;D  Actually, I don't think it will be that bad.

My choices are - Spring Green or the Copper MT vs Dark Green or Red SS Performer.

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
I did initially use my trusty standalone black 22 which was OK, but having the performer table right there is so convenient.  Since then I only use my copper platinum performer with the KP.  I haven't melted anything yet after at least a dozen multiple pizza cooks.  One thing that may help is that I don't bank the coals on the kettle wall...ever.  I use baskets to make the viscious V or pacman.  My cooking temps on the stone are usually in the 600-700 range.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
Performer gives you the table as blksabbath discussed, plus it also gives you added stability over a 3 legged Kettle.    That helps me as I put a grate on top of the KP along with a 3/16ths metal reflector plate that my cousin cut for me.     Lid bale rollers aren't a problem as the nuts on mine are hand tight and I undo and lower the bale for the cook.  Takes about 1 minute to do.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
Thank you @ blksabbath. Glad to hear no issues on the Performer. I have heard of melted rollers and a charcoal bin in some cases. I am not worried about melting anything or porcelain popping from the high heat.  I just want to find out what Kettle Pizza or Pizzaque owners prefer to use and why.

Thanks! @ demosthenes9 - I like the idea of more stability on a Performer which I was not thinking about. There are definite pros ans cons to each type. Reg. kettle more mobile and put it beside large table no problem.  Performer with table and a gas assist start a big bonus.

Troy

• Statesman
Performer. Additionally height and stability is worth it.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Seems as if @MikeRocksTheRed has the method down to minimize porcelain poppin'

I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Seems as if @MikeRocksTheRed has the method down to minimize porcelain poppin'

I don't buy into the thought that coals against the side of a kettle will damage it.  My basket setup for the Kettle Pizza is more to keep coals from under the stone.  I pour coals between the baskets and the kettle so I end up with a ton of heat directly against the kettle.

The kettlepizza will melt your bail rollers as well as slowly burn up wooden rollers.  My wooden rollers from Brian are about half the size they originally were because they slowly burn each cook.  I've had no issue with heat affecting my charcoal basket.  Make sure you have your lid vent closed otherwise flames will shoot of it and torch your lid vent handle.

Coals in an behind the baskets.

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
I have not used it but I have a dedicated black OTG that I paid $30 for to cook my pies......
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
Adrenaline needs to make a pizza insert to protect the kettles from the high heat.  @ABCbarbecue

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
Thank you @ blksabbath. Glad to hear no issues on the Performer. I have heard of melted rollers and a charcoal bin in some cases. I am not worried about melting anything or porcelain popping from the high heat.  I just want to find out what Kettle Pizza or Pizzaque owners prefer to use and why.

Thanks! @ demosthenes9 - I like the idea of more stability on a Performer which I was not thinking about. There are definite pros ans cons to each type. Reg. kettle more mobile and put it beside large table no problem.  Performer with table and a gas assist start a big bonus.

I use PQ, not KP.  As I posted elsewhere the PQ does not sit well in the SSP, so the decision was made for me to use the OKP instead of the SSP.  High heat has not harmed my OKP yet.    The coals are spread over 3/4 of sides of the kettle as opposed to 1/2 or 1/4 of sides, common to indirect heat/cooks.  Perhaps this spreads the coals out enough to prevent damage? 
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

greenweb

• WKC Performer
Adrenaline needs to make a pizza insert to protect the kettles from the high heat.  @ABCbarbecue

From Mike's quote:  I don't buy into the thought that coals against the side of a kettle will damage it.  My basket setup for the Kettle Pizza is more to keep coals from under the stone.  I pour coals between the baskets and the kettle so I end up with a ton of heat directly against the kettle.

Is it really needed?

greenweb

• WKC Performer
I have not used it but I have a dedicated black OTG that I paid $30 for to cook my pies......

I also have few black 22" I can use for pizza cook but I want to have real fun doing things differently.  Call me crazy,but only one the best of my kettles will do the job. I am now leaning toward using my Performer. Thanks to all your comments.  I still need to figure out which one. Gen3 dark green or Red SSP. 

For sure, thanks to Mike's awesome post, I will be taking off the rollers and making sure the lid vent is closed. I don't want to burn up my Zav wood handle.  ;D

Thank you all for your comments so far.  I will figure out which Performer within a few days.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Since you tend to favor green I'd say use your green gen 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
Since you tend to favor green I'd say use your green gen 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Done! Green Gen3 it is. Thanks!  Once I start high heat cook on this, I am not changing it to other kettles.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
Just can't resist being a smart art here, but the more you think about doing it, the less time you have to do it.

[emoji6]

You'll really enjoy the process. Go for it!

Dude, relax your chicken.