Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Reverse sear?  (Read 2277 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Reverse sear?
« on: November 30, 2016, 08:32:48 AM »
I've been searing my steaks first with baskets in the middle then moving off the heat for 5. This has been yielding me fantastic flavorful results. What does a reverse sear do differently and is it better?  I can't bring myself to experiment.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Reverse sear?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 09:18:18 AM »
Only time I reverse sear is when the steak or whatever is thick. Like over 1 1/2 inches or bigger. That way the outside doesn't get overdone while the inside is cooking. Proteins like tri tips, full bone steaks benefit from it. Also, when you cut into the steak you'll get a more even doneness throughout the meat.
The T bones you showed looked like an inch or so thick so they wouldn't have benefited from it. Direct high heat was the right way to go with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 09:19:03 AM »
You should use a meat probe when your doing a reverse sear too so you don't overshoot your desired temp.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 09:25:01 AM by Travis »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 09:20:45 AM »
I've been trying to get this process down. Still a work in progress. I think I need the Thermapen.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/steakhouse_steaks.html

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 09:27:14 AM »
@kettlebb  Ideally, You would want to have a meat probe in the protein for the duration of the cook. That way your target temp doesn't get over shot. Nobody want to ruin a $50 steak!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 09:28:55 AM by Travis »

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 09:44:22 AM »
I like reverse searing.  In my mind I think I can cook to the final temp better with reverse searing vs searing first even though I know that isn't the actual truth.  I use my maverick probes during the entire cook.  I like to bring my meat to within a few degrees of the final temp then take the steak off of the grill.  While the steaks are off the grill, I leave the lid open so the coals can get some air and really get cranking.  The steaks will generally gain another 1-3 degrees while resting.  I rest them until the temp actually drops a few degrees, then I sear over the hottest heat I can get.  Usually the sear is 30-45 second per side.  Since I let the steaks actually cool a few degrees I never overshoot my final temp.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Reverse sear?
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 09:45:05 AM »
I wouldn't keep a probe in for the cook. It would make flipping and searing difficult. It would be easier to get a few quick reads along the way and while your doing the sear. I love a nice even crust on my steak but I won't eat a well done cut to get it.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 10:19:15 AM »
Thanks Travis. That makes sense. I haven't done a tri tip yet but Will give the reverse sear a try for thick cuts. I have done steak enough times that I have it down to a timing thing and do not use any therm.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 01:18:12 PM »
@kettlebb The thing about doing a reverse sear is there is no need to flip. You're cooking completely indirect while coming up to your target temp. All You may do is turn it around halfway through, but that's it. Obviously, when you sear it you'd want to remove the probe and your only searing it for like a minute per side. It's really something to try. For regular  cuts of steaks 1" or so direct heat like you said @HoosierKettle all the way.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 01:36:47 PM »
I leave my probes in until I am plating up.  That way I don't lose juice out of the probe hole until it's on the plate.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 02:01:13 PM »
That's a good point, too. I pull mine after it's rested and before I sear. I guess I'm just afraid of messing up the wires with the direct high heat.

Garvinque

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 02:03:33 PM »
If what your doing is giving you good results stick with that!
LET THE FIRE DO THE WORK! 22 OTG Frankenstein, Jumbo Joe, Weber 26.75 Kettle,Weber Char Q,Weber Baby Blue Q 100, Kamado Joe Jr, Cobb Grill-Both sizes, Southwest Disk Cowboy Wok!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2016, 02:23:31 PM »

If what your doing is giving you good results stick with that!

Yes I will but all good backyard chefs are constantly looking to leave no stone unturned in search of that perfect cook!!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 02:25:21 PM »
One of the many things I like about kettle cooking is the seemingly limitless options.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2016, 02:35:53 PM »
@HoosierKettle  - I say give it a try and see how you like it.  As long as you pull it a few degrees before it hits your final done temp, let it hit that last couple of degrees while resting, wait for it to go down a few degrees then sear it you're chances of messing up are fairly low.