Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: grill grates are shot... getting cast  (Read 4711 times)

stellato1976

• WKC Brave
grill grates are shot... getting cast
« on: November 08, 2016, 01:08:20 PM »
I need new grates making the move to cast...What would you recommend?  Here is what I have found and price. I am leaning toward the napoleon because of the brand and they are hinged also can get an extra20% off at bed bath and beyond...I don't like that the grate is not flat looks to be wavy.  Does anyone have any of these grates and can give me feedback??

CRAYORT    $95
HONGSO     $70
WEBER       $70
NAPOLEON  $70  $56 with 20%
STOK         $65
Stay grilling  my friends!!!!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: grill grates are shot... getting cast
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 01:51:00 PM »
I have the craycorts. Love them. There are four sections to it and some fella's don't like that, but that doesn't bother me. I would have probably gone the napoleon route though if I'd have known about them, for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 01:52:15 PM »
Another thing to consider if getting craycorts is you will want to buy the grate lifting tool as well. I think it was like an extra $10. Something to consider.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 03:48:57 PM »
I'm very happy with my Napoleon grate.

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 04:01:28 PM »
The Nappies R flat.  The lack of straight lines prevents your spatula
from snagging so you can scoop your food from any direction

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 04:38:50 PM »
I like my Napoleon. This thing is heavy, way over built.  This is a stock grates for their line of charcoal kettles. Napoleon also has huge line of gas grills as well here in Canada. 

Just on looks and design alone make it a winner for me, but if it is the cheapest to boot... I would seriously consider it.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/another-cast-iron-grate-option/

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 02:39:04 AM »
I've got a Stok grate.  It's porcelain coated steel, not cast.  Anyways, I have no complaints.  I got it used with my performer.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 04:23:36 AM »
I'm a fan of the flip up grates.  Just so easy to toss around.  On the Crate and Barrel Green Performer i just picked up it has the gourmet grates with the center. So to take it off it's not a HUGE deal but you have to fiddle with it to make sure the center doesn't fall out when you go to hang it up.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 05:34:18 AM »
Char broil  makes one also. I have it and the Stok grate. I have not used either one since I bought them a year ago. I can;t bring myself to swap out my ss grate.

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 06:13:57 AM »
I have rusted out a lot of grates Chromed wire grates and yes cast iron too. Cast iron can put nice brown crust grill marks on meat. I like to wipe the grates clean after brushing before I cook, because I don't like left over black grease from previous cooks on meat. Works good when grates are smooth, but once they rust and get pitted they don't wipe clean well. I was really proud of my first set of cast iron grates that I got really well seasoned, but they weren't on a kettle. I have the Stok grate and only used it a couple of times. I usually grill over the coals in a Weber basket and finish up indirect on opposite side if needed so I like the flip up ends. It depends on how you like to grill. I wouldn't mind having one of the Napoleon grates. Cast iron or a Weber grate can last forever if you don't leave food on it and you keep it oiled so doesn't rust.

fljoemon

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 06:49:12 AM »
If you are looking to get the Napoleon grates, they work very well. However they do require maintenance, else they rust too, so be prepared to oil them after cooking and taking care of them. Also if you are planning to buy then from BedBath&Beyond, the 20% coupon DOES NOT apply to this item. If you are planning on getting it at 20% OFF elsewhere, please do let us know.

fljoemon

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 06:52:14 AM »
Char broil  makes one also. I have it and the Stok grate. I have not used either one since I bought them a year ago. I can;t bring myself to swap out my ss grate.

I too love my Weber Stainless Steel grates .. very well built and minimum maintenance and rust free! I use a lot of rubs and marinades in my cooks and these grates have been great since I have got them. All I need to do is just brush off the caked on food before a cook when the grate is hot and I am good to go.

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 07:22:19 AM »
Oh, I'm convinced. I really like that "minimum maintenance and rust free" part. I think if I was going to spend $70 I would get the stainless with flip up ends. If you were blindfolded would you really miss those grill marks? Stainless is my goto Frying pan even though I have cast iron ones and they can sear really good.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 07:35:46 AM by TD »

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 07:54:49 AM »
Whatever happened to our friend with the upper deck? Was he looking into making heavy gage as flip up grates? After seeing the quality of the upper deck,  I'd buy his flip up Grate in a second

Sent from my LGLS991 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

fljoemon

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 12:50:44 PM »
@captjoe06 ... don't know whether it was the same person, but here is a 304 stainless steel 22 inch cooking grate that I recently picked up at amazon.com for $50 (https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01M1LEKPX/). It is very comparable to the Weber stainless steel cooking grate I have and the build quality is quite high .. only caveat .. it is made in China .. Grab it quick before Trump stops all imports from China :-)