Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Can someone tell me what this Redhead needs?  (Read 3074 times)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Can someone tell me what this Redhead needs?
« on: October 13, 2016, 05:20:46 AM »
I believe it to be a 1992. The seller says it doesn't have a handle and there are no ash sweeps. I can't figure out why there's no hole where you would put an ash sweep assembly through.
It obviously needs an ash pan as well.  And handles.  But do you guys think the hole where they ash sweeper us rusted tight?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
Re: Can someone tell me what this Redhead needs?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 05:28:53 AM »
Looks like the sweeps and the handle broke off the center mounting hardware.  With some careful dremel and/or hack saw work you can get that center piece out of there and install a new one touch system.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 05:31:12 AM »
Looks like you can see the thumb screw from the old OTS system here:

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 05:31:31 AM »
Looks like the sweeps and the handle broke off the center mounting hardware.  With some careful dremel and/or hack saw work you can get that center piece out of there and install a new one touch system.

On a difficulty scale for a complete dope from 1-10 how difficult would you say this is?
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Can someone tell me what this Redhead needs?
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 05:39:12 AM »
@captjoe06, not terribly difficult, I'd say a 3 or 4 on a scale of 1-10.  It looks more daunting than it really is.  I can say from personal experience I lived with a rusted ash sweeper for awhile, and after removing it this past weekend, I'm kicking myself for not attempting it earlier.  EDIT:  Full disclosure - I am not a handy person and even I could do it.  Dremel was super handy.

Is this the one you posted yesterday in Cambridge?  Glad you got it! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 05:42:07 AM by Mr.CPHo »

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 05:39:46 AM »
I'd probably put it somewhere in the 5 range.  Requires the use of power tools and a steady hand.  There is the potential for destroying porcelain if you slip.  Based on those pictures of the kettle, if the price is right it'd be a good learning experience.

Here are a couple examples from the technical reference library:
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/a-little-redhead-mod/
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/don't-throw-away-that-old-weber!/

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 05:49:51 AM »
@captjoe06, not terribly difficult, I'd say a 3 or 4 on a scale of 1-10.  It looks more daunting than it really is.  I can say from personal experience I lived with a rusted ash sweeper for awhile, and after removing it this past weekend, I'm kicking myself for not attempting it earlier. 

Is this the one you posted yesterday in Cambridge?  Glad you got it! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was shocked it was still listed this morning so i took a shot and asked if she would take a full payment on paypal.  She did.  Now I just need a day off to go get it.
Thanks. 
I'll do a search for a thread where someone has removed a rusted ash sweep.

Do the H style ash sweeps work with the older style or will i need a different one?
Weber 7444 22-1/2-Inch One-Touch Cleaning System Kit for Grills

Ash Pan-$12.99
Weber 7407 22.5-Inch Replacement Ash Catcher

On weber's site they say the triangles are not available.  I find that hard to believe.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 05:58:57 AM »
The H style works just fine.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 06:12:14 AM »
Is it really possible you can't buy a new set of legs?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 06:16:18 AM »
@captjoe06 you can get the parts from Weber...you just need to know the part number.  The website below should help:

http://help.weber.com/schematics/browse.aspx?all=1&model=741001
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 06:20:25 AM »
@captjoe06, my suggestion would be to buy a cheap "donor" grill off CL for <$20 and take whatever parts you need from it.  Much cheaper (and less frustrating) than buying new from Weber.  This is the route I am going from now on.
Again, congrats on your soon-to-be acquisition!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2016, 06:27:38 AM »
Why do you need new legs/triangle? The ones on there look like they will be fine for restoration.

Is it really possible you can't buy a new set of legs?

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2016, 06:47:42 AM »

An angle grinder with a cut-off wheel, plus a steady hand ….

Convert it to a Gold.  That's what I did with a 1990 redhead.  Now it's my dedicated KP-only kettle.
It's fun bringing a redhead back to life.   :D :D
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2016, 06:50:07 AM »
@captjoe06, my suggestion would be to buy a cheap "donor" grill off CL for <$20 and take whatever parts you need from it.  Much cheaper (and less frustrating) than buying new from Weber.  This is the route I am going from now on.
Again, congrats on your soon-to-be acquisition!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I'll probably go this route.
Anxious to get my mitts on her.

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2016, 07:54:49 AM »
It actually took me less than 15 minutes to install the ash sweep.  I also purchased the ash catcher assembly.  That took a bit more due to the age of the bowl.  The new ash catcher will need a little encouragement to install.  On my EE code performer, I had to fab it up.  The tabs on the ring didnt alight with the leg sockets correclty.  The Ring is "supposed to" just snap in.  That was not the case.  I snapped offf the small tabs, predrilled some holes in the supports.  I used some heavy duty painters tape to position the Ring.  I marked the leg supports.  Then, slowly with a carbide drill bit, i drilled into the leg supports.  dobbed a little black enamel paint in the holes.  Fasted the ring to the supports with self tapping Stainless Steel screws.

Sounds like an orderal.. Just drill SLOWLY and you should be fine.

I get to do this again to the SSP Red Head (Lucille) I just picked up last weekend.

Good luck and take your time!! 

RRR

Jefff
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...