Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Mod Month - The OG 26" Performer  (Read 7384 times)

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
Mod Month - The OG 26" Performer
« on: September 01, 2016, 02:02:39 PM »
I’ve really enjoyed cooking on kettles over the years, as have many of us here. Once I got my hands on a SS performer, I felt like I had graduated to the next level of grilling and BBQ. Right around that same  time, I also joined this site and got an education on cleaning and tweaking old kettles to get more life out of the.  I wasn’t aware there were 26” kettles out there, but once I discovered they existed, I had to have one.

Several years later, I now have several 26ers, each thanks to members here both past and present . I love the versatility they offer.  In my mind, the 26er is the perfectly sized kettle and the best kettle made by Weber. (Of course, I haven’t seen a ranch in person yet, but I digress).

Like many of us here in the WKC, I hoped that Weber would heed our cries and produce the “bestest” kettle cooker ever—a Performer with a 26” kettle. Last winter I thought perhaps we had been heard when I saw the teases for a new charcoal cooker. Alas, Weber did create their version of the “bestest” kettle ever, but in a 24” cooking space and at a price that is frankly out of reach for me. With that dream effectively squashed, I went back to improving my cooks and using the numerous kettles in my arsenal.

------

There is something about wafts of pecan wood smoke, a cigar, and brown liquor that taps into my limited creative soul. During one of these D&S sessions, I contemplated what to do with a performer I picked up cheaply that had been stuck on my deck for a year.  I’ve been flipping grills to offset my charcoal purchases for a few years, but I won’t flip damaged goods, so because the lid was really rough, this was a parts piece that was taking up space. Finally, it dawned on me. F Weber, I’ll make my own 26” performer. The new style 26’er I also picked up last year already had a bale,  just needed brackets. The 2nd generation performer frame could hold it, if I could simply extend the supports out 4” or so. And off I went….

I found a metal shop in town and had them cut and bend two brackets out of 16ga SS. I used a ball and peen hammer to manipulate the ears so they would conform to the kettle shape and attached them with ¼” SS screws/nuts. I also had them cut and bend two pieces of aluminum diamond plate to serve as the cross-members.

I then sawed the existing plastic cross-members in half and attached them to the ends of the diamond plate cross-members using aluminum rivets. I also massaged the grooves on the rear side of the plastic braces so I could re-use the bottom rack and the bin.  i picked up a 3' piece of 3/8" steel rod at my local home center and cut it down to 33" for use as the axle. I also needed a couple of plastic spacers to allow the wheels to clear the bend in the diamond plate.

It really irritated me how easy this was using basically stock parts and realizing that Weber has essentially flipped us off thus far by not producing a couple of plastic brackets 4” wider than they do today and giving us a 26” performer.

Anyway, enough about that, I had to build a table. My metal shop wanted an arm and a leg to cut a SS table and I didn’t want to use the diamond plate up top. I scoured some old posts and saw a beautiful table made by a member @glrasmussen who had helped me out in the past. I reached out to him and he patiently described how he made his table. While me woodworking skills are less than marginal, I figured I’d give it a go. Results were exactly in-line with my skill level, but fully functional.

So, without further ado, here is the OG Performer, finally put together today, 9/1/2016 to kickoff mod month:

I have not added the burner option YET for three reasons: first, I find I use the lighter cubes more than the gas igniter because i tend to forget when I have the igniter on, wasting fuel; and second, I don't want to hasten the failure of the charcoal grate in the 26er. I've noticed many deformed charcoal grates right where the burner is located and since the 26er grates aren't cheap like the 22" grates, I'd rather not see that happen. And finally, the hole for the burner is oddly shaped and I've done enough drilling into a 26er for 2016.  Maybe next year...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 01:54:15 AM by LightningBoldtz »
Uncommon sense seeker

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
Re: The OG Performer
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 02:04:22 PM »
That is quite possibly the perfect cooking machine!! Great job!!!

stellato1976

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 02:22:30 PM »
looks great
Stay grilling  my friends!!!!

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 02:29:22 PM »
That … looks … incredible .. !!!!  I skipped right to the pics …. Need to go back and read it all later.   :D :D
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 02:32:00 PM »
First day of Mod Month and you set the bar very high! Great job!
Retired

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 02:35:53 PM »
Super awesome kick ass mod!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

fljoemon

• WKC Brave
Re: The OG 26" Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 02:45:55 PM »
How does anyone top this? You have made a dream machine .. I am still drooling looking at the pics.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
The OG 26" Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 02:51:29 PM »
No discounting this one bit but there are a lot of talented guys in this club. This mod included. There will be a lot of kick ass mods in this thread. Whish I had a fraction of the talent as Mr. @OGlenn made it look easy but I'd find a way to screw that up real fast.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 02:59:05 PM by kettlebb »
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 02:56:24 PM »
Omg how did you get into my head that is fing awesome must be why my wife calls me a dreamer not a doe'r I believe in one day you have locked up mod month imo 

Sent from the Weber Searching Phone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 03:00:08 PM »
What did this cost you in time and material? How much could you sell these for

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 03:03:11 PM »
... There will be a lot of kick ass mods in this thread....

I wholeheartedly agree, this group always has had tremendously creative ideas and I can't wait to see what pops up over the next 30 days and beyond. Mod month pushed me to finally finish this and get back to cooking....
Uncommon sense seeker

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 03:05:39 PM »
That is spot on! Lot of creativity went into making that. Love the wooden table.

Only thing I could make comment on is the bolts for the table.  It would look much sleeker if they were recessed.

Definite contender for the Mod of Month.  Good luck!

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2016, 03:07:05 PM »
Sent a note to the captain to see where this thread needs to live. Might have to move to over to the original thread so we don't lose track of where all the mods are. Where's a mod when you need one?
Retired

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2016, 03:11:25 PM »
What did this cost you in time and material? How much could you sell these for

Like most projects, too much of both time and material. My metal shop was a ripoff, but I wanted it badly.  table wasn't too bad cost wise, but I'm not used to working with wood, so it took me awhile there.

I wouldn't consider selling, check with my brie when she is a widow...

Like I said, I think the parts could be manufactured fairly easily by Weber.
Uncommon sense seeker

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2016, 03:17:11 PM »
That is spot on! Lot of creativity went into making that. Love the wooden table.

Only thing I could make comment on is the bolts for the table.  It would look much sleeker if they were recessed.

I thought long and hard about that and agree that it would look better, but I worried about snow/water settling into the recess and affecting the wood. I actually used a shouldered plastic bushing to raise the screw to help keep water out of that area. This thing will be used and abused enough by me, hoping i can keep damage by mother nature to a minimum.
Uncommon sense seeker